Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

Just downloaded the starting strength report for something to read. WHY THE FUCK IS THIS THING SO LONG. Its 212 pages, I do not need 212 pages on the simplest program there is. Its a fucking 2 day split with 5 exercises with a very simple rep scheme. Theres like 1 page detailing that and then 211 pages of the author bitching about various and isolation exercises and steroids and then a couple pages about how amazing he is because if he wanted to work in his underwear he could. Wendlers 531 is like 40 pages and its a much more complicated program and actually goes into depth about stuff like accessory work, not just bitching about ronnie coleman and saying what a pussy jay cutler is.

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/t/215501/think-and-grow-strong-basic-lifting-and-diet-info

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Masturbate vigorously.

4. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I think you mean StrongLifts. Its because Mehdi is an unmitigated douchnozzle. SS 2nd ed. is 312 pages but it involves in depth explanations of lifts, as well as alternate/assistance lifts, and more in depth programming. But it could be shorter too.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

You do know that the book in question is written for an audience that may not even KNOW what a barbell is. It's good for starting out, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all as you well know. It's like reading MWG and then going back to your undergrad micro books, they seem pretty simple in comparison.

6. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

Super-setting squats and chest press. IS THIS BAD?

7. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

lmao at the gym some guys asked if they could use the bench with me, I was okay sure. I had just finished x3 day of 5/3/1 and was just using it to do my 5x15 db chest @ 70 lbs for my accessory work. One of the guys lays down and the other goes "he is so strong," I watch as he loads up 225 and proceeds to do 10 half-reps with a spotter. His friend tells me "He is a warrior. He is training for his next fight." Really? An MMA fighter who trains with heavy weights with half ROM? I walk over to my friend in the corner of the gym and joke about the guy, I tell him that he did 225 for 10 reps with half ROM, and next I bet he's going to do 315 with quarter ROM. I turn around and lo and behold, the guy has loaded it up to 315 and is doing, as predicted, quarter-reps with his spotter upright rowing the thing. Everyone in the gym is looking at the guy in awe at this point, I walk over and his friend again says how he's so strong. I couldn't contain myself, I just smiled and said "It doesn't count unless you touch your chest." lolz

8. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

did my first day of starting strength today, in my new gym. Followed Rippetoe's instructions for finding starting weights, which gave me 40kg on the squat, 40kg bench (was doing 48kg with dumbells last week, so this is a fair bit under where i have progressed to) and deadlft i think i messed up. I thought since i have been progressing it starting strength style for ages, i would start just under my previous workout with 100kg. It didnt feel right at all. First of all the bar rolls annoyingly on the floor of the new gym, and i dont know whether the floor is softer but it seemed that i wasnt getting as much leg drive and my back took more of the weight. I didnt even lock out the last rep, having done it pretty easily a week or so ago. Maybe its because deads are at the end of SS workouts, and i usually do them first or second. Also the only place to deadlift is by taking the bar out of the squat rack and standing infront of it, which isnt ideal. Also smallest plates are 5lb so will need to buy my own 2.5lb plates to take i guess. No gyms ever get it just right.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I like this story, Eason. I really want to build up the courage to talk down to the bros that infest my gym.

10. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

This is pretty close to what I'm doing for strength right now. The core of it being an ABA / BAB two weeks worth, with Squats / Overhead Press on A and DL / Bench on B.

That's right. KISS. I'm not going to run around the gym squeezing plates and mail ordering grippers online when I can just fucking deathlift instead.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Is that like lifting dead people, they are pretty hard to grip man.

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

what the hell is "functional strength" anyways? does everyone on that bandwagon walk around picking up random objects of precise poundages in specific rep and set schemes? furthermore, it seems like somehow using straps completely negates any and all benefits of weight training on the ability to move something heavy that might happen once in a fucking blue moon. oh look, my car got stuck in a snowbank; welp since i deadlift with straps i guess my lack of ***FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH*** won't allow me to do anything about it.

give me a break. if you do backbreaking physical labour for a living your functional strength comes from your job. if you are like everyone else on this planet, "functional strength" involves putting groceries away and jerking off. "functional strength" is what trainers at the ymca teach old ladies to be able to climb the fucking stairs. forgive me for raging, but god damn that is a stupid fucking blanket statement arbitrary nonsense backwards assfuck way of thinking. bullshit.

note i am not telling everyone to deadlift with straps, but saying "hurr functional strength" holds about as much water as the fucking titanic. if you want functional strength you should be picking up atlas stones or lifting fucking pianos, not lifting a precisely weighted and balanced device.

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

While I feel the same way, I would save your breath and energy if I were you. There will always be those that think deadlifting with straps is somehow "cheating" or any less useful in training that strapless deadlifting.

And the ones saying that are usually guys that have sub-500 or, even more than likely, sub-400 deadlifts.

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

yeah i know i should save my breath i was just spazzing out since i was really hungry

where's that gif of that iron sport gym guy giving the death stare?? i feel like it would be appropriate