Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. theom-

theom- Senior member

indesertum, those are power cleans not (squat) cleans, but they're pretty good for learning on your own. Make sure you get that triple extension, hips, knees, ankles. Also, make sure your feet don't leave the ground for too long because you can't exert any force on the bar when you are off the ground. I hate when it's described as a jump, because it really isn't. You ankle should be in full extension before you shift your feet to the squat stance. Also, make sure you get thigh to bar contact as this will keep you from using too much arm, your hips really need to pop through more.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i always get power cleans and hang cleans mixed up.

yeah i really need to work on the triple extension. this was my last set of 5 out of 5 and I was getting to tired between reps. i'll try on focus on bar contact next time.

would you say the balls of your feet aren't supposed to leave the ground? the guy i started doing oly lifts with said that my feet should clear the ground.

thanks for the critique

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

3. theom-

theom- Senior member

They are but just for a split second. Its more of the extension so you can move your feet outward, you don't really want to jump upward as much. I wouldn't really think of it as a "jump" though.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

so after the "jump" your feet ARE supposed to move sidewards a little?

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Are you using a double overhand or mixed/alternate grip? Are you using chalk?

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Yeah, try to have the bar brushing up your thigh until you finish the 2nd pull. Btw, I have a bruise the size of my palm on my thigh from friday... let the bar separate from my lap after clearing the knees and banged my hips into it pretty hard while doing snatch pulls. Ouch.

The point of the 3rd pull (or catch , if you want to call it that) is to receive the bar in a deep squat position. To do that you must transition your feet to a squat position and bring your shoulders to the bar. This is done by quickly reversing direction after the 2nd pull, basically pushing underneath the bar and at the same time repositioning the feet in the squat position. This is what causes the audible 'clap', not a jump or shit like that.

This. Something to keep in mind as well is that focusing hard on extending the hips (my coach calls it the hip kick) will most likely bring about pretty decent extension of the knees and ankles as well.

Of course. You need to move your feet from the pulling or drive position to the squat position.

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Oh, and if you want to practice the 3rd pull, a good drill in the clean is to do hang cleans from a very high hang. Something like 2" above mid-thigh. That way you really have to pop the hips to move the bar and also you need speed under the bar.

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

that's useful thanks

9. theom-

theom- Senior member

Jus did this up quickly but I'ma little drunk right now soo

[​IMG]

How the fuck do you emebed videos?

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Also, if you're srsly training the o's you might want to consider getting a pair of weightlifting shoes.

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Anyone big and strong want to recommend a 3 day program? I don't think I can 4 days 5/3/1 with my schedule anymore and I'm getting weaker every cycle. I think I need to go back to 3 day but afraid madcow has too much volume.

12. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

You can do 5/3/1 with a 3-day a week schedule. Wendler says he gets better results with 3x/week.

13. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Any advice on fixing an imbalance with my squat? about halfway up when I'm pushing out of the squat my weight will slightly shift to my left side, as if my left leg is picking up most of the weight. I've made sure my stance is symmetrical and aligned properly. When i do pistols (1 legged squats) I can do the same amount of reps on each leg. So at this point idk if it's a flexibility issue or what.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

not big and strong but http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19594 i have nothing but good things to say about ex and his methods.

make sure the bar is centered evenly on your shoulders, one of my arms is longer than the other so i had to make a conscious effort to get the bar centered properly because my grip would throw if off if i'm not careful. i think i still push off more with my left leg but ever since i started doing single leg stuff and thinking about popping my hips forward instead of "lifting" the bar i haven't noticed it.

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

3 day a week 5/3/1, that's genius. I will switch from BBB to the Triumvirate too.