Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

If you're saying whey has no lactose okay. Still does not sit well with my body.
    I still think whey is a derivative of dairy products thus has lactose. And being lactose intolerant, some people are more sensitive than others so it does not really matter how much is in the powder.

Q: If I'm Lactose Intolerant Should I Avoid Whey Protein?

A: Whey protein isolate contains between 90-97% pure protein and little to no lactose. In most situations it is very easy to digest, even for people with lactose intolerance. As whey protein products do vary in composition please check the ingredient label prior to purchase to make you are getting pure whey protein isolate.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

in one sentence you say that even if whey didnt have lactose it still doesnt sit with you

and then you turn around and say whey has lactose and thus doesn't sit with you.

you have to choose and the latter statement is wrong. they only wrote that statement to save their asses. any whey product you buy will not have enough lactose. just look on the labels. there's barely 1 or 2 g carbs per scoop and most of that is from other products

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Well, let's just forget the whole whey and lactose.

My main question and something I always wondered if whether someone can make gains without taking protein/supplements.

My bro told me he has been off his protein powder for perhaps 3+ weeks now and noticed he lost a little "push" in his lifts.

I asked before if it is at all possible to make gains without protein shakes etc. and someone said yes, so I will be trying that out. Of course my main diet will change as I will be a lot hungrier. Just got to find good alternatives for a good meal . . . I tend to eat a lot of bread/sandwiches and rice. hmmm

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

you definitely can. it's just harder simply because you have to eat more protein from other sources to hit your target which can get tiring.

are you trying to gain weight? if so then keep eating those carbs. if not just eat them on workout days.

i would also say that whey is a poor choice for real food replacements because whey absorption rate is such that amino acids reach peak levels 3, 4 hours after digestion and taper off. casein otoh allows aa levels to be constantly elevated throughout the day (and night)

5. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

*facepalm*

Noone ever got big or strong before whenever whey was first isolated.

Change the bread/rice/simple useless carbs to meat/poultry/fish (esp. salmon) and vegetables. Problem solved. 100 grams of steak is about equal to 25/30 grams of whey, so just eat more meat. Or eggs.

6. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Senior member

I don't do whey or much supplements and have little problem getting enough protein. I weigh 145 and average about 160 g of protein a day. try to get 40g a meal and a snack or two of 15-25 g. That way if one of my meals is light, I end up with enough. That is with no protein shakes. My problem is that this diet makes me hungry all the fucking time....much moreso than eating half that a few months ago.

I usually carry a protein bar in case I can't get a decent meal. There is a raw organic one with rice protein that has 22g..

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Thanks guys, helped a lot :slayer:

I should visit local trader's joe, they have some good food to stock up on from what i remember.

cornelius, what rice protein bar are you speaking about? would love to try :nodding:

8. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Senior member

It's called organic food bar (protein one)...they are popular, sold out a lot. I've got them from whole foods, amazon, vitamin shoppe online. Trader joes has a hemp protein powder that tastes pretty good (at least vanilla does) - about 12 g of protein. Trader joes is great. I do cans of salmon (40g of protein a can), black beans (10g a third of a can) and buy a whole chicken and roast and get 3-4 meals out of it. Nuts are good too, almonds have a lot of protein. Egg whites and bacon (fuck it, I'm skinny)

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

if you're trying to bulk up nuts are great, but otherwise they're just not very satiating and there's a lot of calories in very little.

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Yeah I use to eat a lot of almonds/mixed nuts back in university. Better snack imo than grabbing fast food or something . .

Thanks! ^^ Will check those bars out

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

reduce volume for a cut, not intensity. strength gains come better than size gains when cutting, so dropping volume and keeping the same intensity will keep the strength gains coming.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Apparently, nobody gives a shit so allow me to try and help.

First, what's the specific pain you're having?

Second, what motions aggravate the pain?

Finally, are you having pain in any other areas associated with the shoulder pain? E.g. neck, upper back, etc..

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Strive to maintain full spinal extension, that will generally put your back in the best position for bearing significant weight.

Jarude already answered most of your cutting q's, but the trick is to keep protein intake high and maintain intensity in the weight room. That will yield results. Straight-up cutting if you're starting out with little muscle tone and an infliction of skinnyfatness is a disaster in the making.

Don't know why everyone thinks downing protein shakes and waxed maize (etc.) is the only way to gain muscle, one needs only to look at old-time greats and one will see some burly physiques there. With the strength to match as well. It's about your overall diet, stuff like whey and caseine powders can add to an already good diet, but they won't save a shitty one.

And fuji, if you insist on using the lingo, bitch tits is a euphemism for gynecomastia.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

The most pain elsewhere I feel is upper back.

The shoulder pain is like inner, deep pain. I don't know how to explain it, but massaging the outside doesn't help. Shoulder stretches help a little. It's like some odd pain inside the side front of both deltoids. Gets aggravated during a bench session and breaking sessions.

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

I had the exact same thing. Came from water polo and swimming. Short of getting an MRI, any doctor will tell you that it is just tendinitis. Do you have any popping or clunking when you retract your shoulder blade and raise your arm?