Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gateslion

gateslion Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to disagree. High intensity stuff, HIIT especially, can require the same recovery and nutrition as the weight room. Besides the muscle aspect, HIIT can be hard on your system overall. IMHO a hardcore HIIT sprint workout can even be used as an occasional substitute for leg day. (some of the pros do this in fact.)

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Fucking hate training on Saturdays, my gym is always full of retards then. You don't need a bench shirt when your struggling through a 50kg bench when you way over 100kg and your like 40. I don't give a fuck what your raw or equipped total is, you shouldn't have an equipped total when you can't bench half body weight and my deadlift is higher then your total. Nor do you need to wear a belt for your bench and wrap every fucking joint and call yourself a powerlifter just because your fat as shit and god knows you can't pretend to be a body builder. Also a power clean isn't something you do seated on an incline bench with dumbbells for 40 reps and you don't need to scream at your girlfriend to get her through her 20 rep sets of dumbbell presses when she's on her 3rd rep. Theres a big pack of guys like this at my gym, all come in geared up and proceed to move pussy weight. Then theres some kid who I swear was about 12, but then he took his shirt off and he was covered in tattoos on his podgy body. Still possible he is 12 because this is England, but he kept his shirt off for his entire workout and got sweat on all the benches and grunt ferociously through his 35kg bench press whilst eye balling me trying to exert his alphaness on me. I saw him brushing his teeth in the bathroom afterwards, which was really weird. I want to change gym, but every other one in Cambridge is like 120 quid a month.

on a happier note I've stopped using straps on my deads and my grip strength has been building up quite nicely, pulled 150kg with just chalk and a belt for a single.

Stinger, my guess is that your pulling with your arms and using momentum, which is why your not feeling it in your lats and why the weights not going up. I personally hate the barbell row and I'd change to a dumbbell row and make sure your pulling with your lats.

Edit: There was also a women who looks and sounds like salad fingers

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

3. gateslion

Oh no. That sucks. Those dudes are annoying. You just reminded me of ultimate fail moment. You know the skinny bastard with no muscle and a half ass work ethic, but no matter what body part he is actually supposed to be working that day, he stops every 10 minutes and checks his abs?

Well this one guy was that +. He's hanging off the pullup bar doing hanging leg raises, and he seriously has his t-shirt pulled up and clenched in his teeth so that he can watch his abs in the mirror.

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

there's a difference between HIIT and sled pulling, and it all depends on your intensity and volume done. sled pulling on alternate days built up progressively over time will only get you in better shape and make you a better lifter. in my own personal experience, doing 1 min on/off and adding one extra minute each week let me use lower rest intervals between sets on all lifts.

5. gateslion

I can see that. Don't doubt it at all. HOw did that work out for you in terms of recovery days between workouts?

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

when i was lifting m/w/f and doing sled tues and thurs and my recovery was fine. mind you, i wasnt doing a death march each time i did it, but i was pretty wiped when i was done. the only thing i would make sure of is that i didnt go balls-out the day before squat or deadlift day, if anything i would try and tack it onto the end of that workout.

7. APK

APK Senior member

I hold on to fat quite easily, so I can attest that this makes a difference for some people. I did a lot of fasted LISS cardio this winter and spring and was looking pretty trim around the waist area. I got away from it most of the summer and things in that area were looking quite unflattering a couple of weeks ago. I've been doing more fasted LISS cardio and nighttime walks recently and it's making a difference already with body comp. Plus, as the article mentions, it's just a good way to do some thinking and feel better mentally. I only want to do apartment living for the foreseeable future, but I do envy the homeowners who have the space to keep a treadmill or bike near a TV.

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

the other guys were just saying that they prefer dumbbell rows. bent over a seat one arm at a time.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

If your doing it just for lat size dumbbell pull overs are pretty good. I wouldn't really say they're a substitute for rows though.

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

i thought row was more about rhomboids than lats. could be wrong though.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

my shoulders are killing me. somebody help.

i've started doing shoulder dislocates? dislocations? face pulls, but still hurts.

i have a copy of trigger point therapy workbook, but no idea what to do. it feels more like radiating pain as there aren't a lot of trigger points in my shoulders, but if there's a trigger point that leads to radiating pain in the shoulder i dont see it in the book

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Can anyone comment what type of "routine" this would be:

Just bought a pass and would love to start working out some trouble areas, mainly chest, arm, "CORE", back and legs (sounds like everything lol).

Current weight is about 150lbs, slim build...would like to retain the same weight but be more defined. Things still shake, so firming everything up would be a goal. Everything else will come with it I believe. :embar:

But the above workout seems very advance especially getting the right form.

Comments please? (I think Charly posted this awhile back)

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Thats the workout im doing right now with some slight modifications. Removed calf raises because I dont give a fuck about calves and added grip work. replaced pull throughs with RDLs, squatting 5x5 on both days and deadlifting 3x3, shoulder pressing 3x5 and close grip pressing instead of tricep work and I added pull overs on deadlifting and squatting day. I don't know what type of routine it is really. Its not power lifting or body building specific, but I've put on a bit of size and my lifts have gone up. Its not particularly advanced, all the lifts are pretty simple. Its just squatting, pressing and deadlifting with some minor assistance work. I don't know what you're really asking. People tend to think its a bit push heavy with little pulling, but I think rowing once a week and pulling once a week is fine.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

That's a decent routine to go in if you're really looking to bulk up your upper body--it's got a lot more upper body (especially chest) volume than most splits. I did that same split (it's from BB.com's routines forum) and got some good results.

if your goal is to "cut" then you should lift slightly heavier, cut back on the volume, and eat at a caloric deficit. But if you don't have much muscle mass there to begin with, then you'll be disappointed with your results.

15. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Thanks dudes.

I don't want to cut too much if at all. I don't mind putting on more weight if it is muscle. I am not planning on taking any supplements either like protein shakes and my diet will be the same. So, it will be interesting how the results will be . . . my brother who use to be like me currently has been hitting the gym for 4+ months with protein and has bulked up dramatically. He now gets mistaken for the older son when actually he is younger (well he is also taller by 3"). But with protein and no cardio, he has also built up a formidable gut. In his defense, it is all relatively proportional to how big/wide his shoulder, chest, and arms have swollen up as well.

The membership is for 2 years so in the long run, I hope to broaden shoulders and chest (i slouch a little if i do not check myself, so i hope lifting will straighten my back). Also would like some bigger wrists/forearm .

Question regarding stance:

I usually keep my back straight and arc my lower back a little and stabilize my leg/feet by keeping it straight. But should I relax my form a little and have my legs bend a little at the knee? Asking for general lifting like free-weights. As long as I do not hunch (arc forward), then are these both okay?