Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Haha.

I find yoga incredibly relaxing, personally. It gets a lot of crap in my area (that's for GIRLS!!) but whatever. My greatest physical performance comes when incorporating yoga into my strength training.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

My shins have gotten pretty scuffed up from it so they're kind of used to it. I wear pretty heavy sweat pants too and I deadlift sumo so my ROM is pretty short so the scuffing isn't bad. No need to change to sumo, you might be pulling too close to your body if its hurting them that much. Even when I pulled conventional it wasn't that bad.

I hate only training 3 days a week. I know its better for recovery and all, but I get bored not working out. Something like 5 days a week would be preferable. Anyway to do that without severely over training? I suppose I could do a body building split, but that seems kind of shit and would stop me from deadlifting.

3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I live in Brooklyn and work in midtown Manhattan. Nobody is going to bat an eye (they might think i'm gay but, like, whatever). The girlfriend is a yoga instructor and I find that it helps me stay flexible and just makes me feel good.

Run or do yoga. Eat more to make up for the increase in activity.

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

do you do conditioning stuff at all fuji? sled pulling is "fun," or you could do BB complexes/KB stuff. all the fun of lifting without the suck of cardio

5. virus646

virus646 Senior member

+1, add some condition works between your workouts. Should do the tricks and help you for the best.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I do no conditioning at all so its probably a good idea. I've been thinking about doing sled, prowler, yoke or farmers walk kind of stuff, but wouldn't that fuck with my recovery?

7. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Last I heard, lack of eccentric means less fucking with recovery.

Sled pulling, HIIT sprints. Or HIIT anything.

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

quite the opposite. better conditioning will positively affect your lifting

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

Good, my conditioning is shit right now. I usually get a stitch walking to the gym, which is like 500m away from where I get the bus to. All I can do is deadlift and press. Hopefully the weather won't get bad too soon because Ill have to do any prowler work outside.

10. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Indeed. And women don't have lats, so...

Ya, you should be able to walk, briskly, without issue.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/get_ripped_get_walking

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

The author suggests walking on a goddamn treadmill. If I walk, I'll do it outside for god sakes and I WON'T call it my "cardio". The less time sans lifting I have to spend indoors at the gym, the better.

The guys who are concerned with their biceps' peak can call it their LISS, for me it's just walking, an everyday activity.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I do have to say, if you're ever lacking motivation to train, try correcting a couple hundred undergrad microeconomics term papers. If you're not in a mood to rip stuff apart after that, you must be superhuman.

14. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

I think im officially done with pendlay rows. I can never get past 40kg, it never feels any lighter, and it never feels like its doing anything. What else can i do on starting strength, considering i dont want to do power cleans? Getting on starting strength properly next week when i join my new gym. They do have a machine which looks like an imitation of the T-bar row. I only saw it briefly but it looks like you stand between the bars which are on the floor, fixed at a central point behind you, and pull them up, probably bent over.

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

I hate the "exercise" effect. If people were just sauntering around, they wouldn't expect any great health effects, but framing something as simple as walking as "exercise" and people automatically expect a 6-pack and a bj or something.

Reminded me of the aqua-"fit" ladies that would bitch to me about being overweight even after "doing" an aquafit class when in reality all they would do is shoot the shit with eachother.