Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I reside in Helsinki so no USAW coaches for me, unfortunately. He is training our only superheavy lifter and was a coach for the Euro champs team, so it's quite fair to say one of the top guys (okay, maybe #1 national was overstating it a bit). First session consisted of overhead squats, mid-hang snatches and snatch pulls from the floor, drilling the 2nd & 3rd pull in the snatch and to end it off we did some front squats with some light loads. My overhead position sucked ass hard, so that had to be worked out. As I said, I'm still a rookie.

I do agree on the latter part.. it's just that I'm not even there yet. It does take some brass balls to receive a PR snatch, it's easy to miss a lift that was otherwise totally OK (bar elevation etc.) by not going for the 3rd pull agressively enough.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. fuji

fuji Senior member

My friend has challenged me to a deadlift competition. He's pretty much untrained, he can do the movement and all, but he's only done it once and pulled 100kgx8, but he didn't seem that tired. He weighs about 240lb though and is similar height to me, but im around 180lb, he's not fat or anything he's probably like 20% BF. We're gonna use belts and straps. He's gonna try for 200kg, which I think is ridiculous, 100kgx8 does not make for 200kg, 100kg for 20 doesnt even really come close to 200kg. I can get 150kg last time I tried though so I think i'll win.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

This is awesome. Finland is awesome. You are awesome. Try and get some vids up?

Serious though, big hockey fan.. in IIHF/Olympics you guys are my #2.

i think you may win since he will break himself untrained trying to outlift someone, belt or not lol

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. fuji

fuji Senior member

For some reason I always assumed TRH was at college somewhere in the states. Never would have guessed Finland.
    Yeah if he loses he has to walk up to this kid who goes to the gym with us and kick him in the balls at the gym. Its not really a punishment for losing I just think it'll be pretty funny. Other boy deadlifts 50kg so he's not gonna be in the competition sadly.

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Having a problem with motivation as of late -

It's been almost a week since I've been in the gym. I don't really know what's wrong - I just don't feel like myself. Normally, I actively look forward to getting in there. In recent weeks, results and progress have been slow-coming, and I just feel to the point of not wanting to give a damn anymore.

Admittedly, much of my history in getting to the gym has been superficially based - try to get leaner, lose extra BF, etc. I went through a crazy period during high school where I went WAY to the opposite end; I started out fairly heavy, probably obese. I started running deliberately to try to lose weight, and got on a really restrictive diet (aka - don't eat anything). Lost a ton of weight (from like 225 down to 170). I got a little too wrapped up and went through some anorexic/bulimic times - not fun. Since about 21, I'd switched focus to weights. I've noticed that I can spend considerably less time engaged in physical exertion for the same results when comparing running to time in the gym. I held steady at about 190 and 11% bf for about 3.5 years, but felt remarkably better about myself. After joining the boards last year, I pushed myself further following some recommendations in this thread and felt even better. Working out was fun - it wasn't a grind, as running 6-7 days a week became.

This summer, my whole life got thrown out of whack and it's been slow going getting back to normalcy. Working out was hard to come by and I felt myself go soft and lose a lot of the strength gains and definition I'd worked hard to get. I charted myself last week at 199 lbs 14.5% BF, and just sort of felt the wind go out of me. Those weren't good numbers to read for my semi-OCD mind.

Normally I'm totally up for a challenge, but with school starting, law school apps needing to go in, and raising my daughter, I just feel completely NOT up to the task. I've just kind of shrunk away from the changes I need to make to help myself to feel better. I feel like my working out over the last month, since bouncing back from summer, has all been in vain. I've found myself sleeping when I should be getting my ass to the gym. I mean, even superficially, if I don't get my gym swag back soon, my SW+D kops won't be fitting any more, and I can only imagine how that might shatter my psyche.

Long post, I know. Sorry - just need somewhere to vent because no one around me seems to have time to listen.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I think I've thought of an effective rowing exercise. I don't know if it has a proper name, but I've never heard of it. Basically if you sit on a bench or a chair of something and bend over so your torso is parallel to the floor you can pretty easily grab a pair of dumbbells off the floor and pull them into your body. You can't cheat like with normal dumbbell rows and you don't have to worry about back stability with bent over rows. Its kind of like a bench row, but without the necessary equipment. Haven't tried it at the gym yet, but I did it at home with some light dumbbells and a chair and as long as you squeeze at the top you can feel it in your lats pretty good. Don't know if its safe because your lower back is under flexion, but it is supported. I doubt you'd be able to handle much weight on it.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

If things are getting too much, cut it down. You don't need to stay at 11% bodyweight or pulling huge weights all the time. Cut back to going 2-3 times a week and just try and have a healthy diet. If you don't realise what you can't do now, you will get depressed when you fail at everything.

so yeah, cut back but go onto a good diet, and focus on the things that really matter; your daughter and school

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

Just take a break from it all, focus on the stuff that matters and you will come around to it... we've all let ourselves go at some point. Take a week off and think about why you work out in the first place... try not to tie your happiness to your state right now; lifting is a process and there are always ups and downs.

Reframe this situation as a massive deload and a fresh start with the advantage of knowing everything you do.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

the tall white dude goes to my gym. nice dude but he gives off the impression that you wouldnt want to cross him

10. Michealleo

Michealleo Member

well i am try to drink more protien shakes and adding some peanut butter in it because i've needed to gain some weight . I am skinny person that why eat more nuts like , almonds and peanuts .

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

My gym has tonnes of professional MMA fighters, I don't know any of their names because I don't follow UFC, but I saw a video of one of them getting the shit kicked out of him by the spider. He's short and ginger and doesn't look particularly big, but I see him fight occasionally and he's a beast. Have a lot of people who only compete in BJJ as well.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

What do you guys use to protect your shins when deadlifting? Mine are getting tore the fuck up.

Yesterday I did the 275 again and this time I used a slightly wider stance. Still felt like my form wasn't perfect but its improving. I did notice that with the wider stance I felt much more activation in my glutes.

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

shave your legs and tape your shins! serious though, sumo stance helps prevent bloody shins. also, knee-high socks and sweatpants.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Got the last two. Not doing the first two. Haven't tried the sumo stance yet and I might hold off on that since I've already got a pretty strained hip flexor. Putting more stress on that area wouldn't be a good idea.

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Did a much-needed yoga session yesterday after an awful attempt at running.

Lats got cramped to shit when i tried bow pose.

Googling that shit doesn't help either. I just get information about yoga and menstrual cramps. Given the demographic breakdown of my yoga class, though, it's not surprising.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011