Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

chickas parallel squatting instead of doing women's health workouts?! :inlove: love blondie doing the blowfish between reps.

on a side note, mens/women's health can suck my balls; what an atrocious yet universally accepted source of fitness information.

2. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

I did frans on saturday and my legs are still sore, could barely make it up dining hall stairs on monday. :embar:

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Actually, if you know how to read it, MH can be quite a good source of useful information. Certainly, for someone starting out, its a wealth of information about nutrition, fitness, and health.

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Its now been about two weeks and I have gone from 135lbs up to 151lbs. Bench has improved from 3 reps at 120lbs to a new high today of 3 reps at 145lbs. It seems like the new mass is basically muscle, I dont feel at all flabby. If I keep up my current diet and continue pushing up weights at the gym, will I continue to gain weight or should I expect to plateau soon?

I would guess I am probably eating 2,000 - 2,500 calories, protein shake in the morning, large, high protein salad for lunch, dinner is grilled chicken, low fat cheese, vegetables, protein shake.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MOTHERFUCKER fucking personal trainer interrupted me during my PR set of DL's rudely telling me that they had told me many times I couldn't do DL's in front of the benches. No, I informed him, nobody had ever said such a thing to me. In fact, none of the staff have ever said a word to me after I paid. He wanted me to move to the squat rack where there was more padding on the ground, because he said the weight I was doing was too heavy (which made me feel good, ok). But there were 3 guys on it and I had to wait about 15 minutes for them to finish. So now I am going to spend a shit load of time waiting for people on the squat racks, I forsee.

I was fucking raging though, for reals. My testosterone must be up lately or something because I've been wanting to choke a bitch all week.

6. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Its not 16lb of muscle. Even 4lb in 2 weeks would most likely be impossible. I think you are just filling out a bit, like me probably had very low bodyfat at 135lb, and initially your body just uses the extra calories to add a slight layer of fat everywhere, store more water etc. How you've gained 16lb in 2 weeks on those calories is beyond me though, even when i started i would guess at needing 6000 per day to gain that fast.

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

so, 16 lbs of PURE MUSCLE in two wks w/ 2500 cals per day and lifting. I call bullshit on this, unless you were starting out somewhere along the lines of extreme malnourishment.

8. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Angry Eason is scary.

9. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I have no idea if it is pure muscle, frankly, I dont even know what pure muscle means. What I do know is that it seems to have come on the right way, better definition in places that I wanted it ie arms, thighs, pecs etc vs tummy . Also, to your second point, the malnourishment point is probably fair, I was 6'1" 135lbs, I think there was a lot of room for growth, I dont have a big frame but I have been as high as 160lbs previously. Not trying to B/S, trying to get a sense for what will happen if I keep this routine/diet going.

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

MH actually hypes "the big lifts" in most of its articles/workout programs. Some of their workouts are mad broscience, but a lot of them are mostly just variations of splits that i see on BB all the time.

Their diet stuff seems pretty good though; they get guys like Alan Aragon on it all their time. I also have their "muscle chow" cookbook that I'll go to if i need recipe ideas that aren't full of empty carbs or saturated fats.

Their sex advice is actually awesome, though. My dad's old stack of MH's were a godsend when I first started messing around with girls. Hell, I still remember (and use) stuff I learned from those old issues.

11. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Yea, it is definitively not pure muscle gain but good job nonetheless. You will be able to progress at a good rate for quite a few months if you stick to it. Usually people call it ''noob gains'' as you will be progressing at a fast pace till you hit a small wall.

12. APK

APK Senior member

I can't hate MH. Their recipes were what finally taught me how to cook something that wasn't pasta.

13. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I have a friend who was featured in MH, along with a "back and bis" workout. The workout was almost legit, aside from the slightly silly modifications to actual exercises. (Kneeling curls, Lat pull downs on the swiss ball, etc)

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Man at the gym was hating today. Asked me why I'm still coming even though I've made no progress in a year. He also said I should change my workout every week so he's obviously a spastic. I don't see how his comment was at all necessary. He was just jel that I'm probably 25 years younger then him and 70lb lighter and I pulled the same weight off the floor that he did.

Edit: Also I did a 1 handed deadlift today for funzies, do they actually have any use? Seems like it might help with grip strength and core, but I don't want to do them if they're just a pointless exercise.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  15. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

They don't have any real purpose except if you're working around an injury. Example, a lifter I know, Chris Duffin (elite-level powerlifter), did some one-handed deadlifts (easy reps with 500) because he was limited by a surgically-repaired torn pec.