Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

100kg in lat pulldown is meaningless. Do pull ups. Add weight if necessary.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't see how its meaningless, I can move more weight then I used to be able meaning my back muscles are stronger and bigger. Its not that I can't do pull ups, I just don't really care about the full body workout of pull ups versus lat pull down. I do them for my lats not for my abs, I can do other shit for my abs. I can control the motion more easily with a lat pull down and more easily regulate how much weight I use, its hassle to hold a weight between your feet or use a chain to attach a plate. I'm not discounting chins or pullups, I just don't think the lat pull down is this horrible thing that should never be used.

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

You could follow the same logic and find reason to do squats on the squat machine, or flies with a machine, or EZ bar curls or whatever you want.

It's not that you need an ab workout, it's that the movement is compound which makes it more real strength training. There's a reason you find it the motion easier to control than pullups; it's because you haven't developed the core strength to do the movement well. Do more pullups and they get easier - and so will lat pulldowns. On the other hand, do lat pulldowns and pullups won't necessarily get easier.

If you can do more than 5 pullups there's no reason to ever use lat pulldowns again. (IMO, obviously).

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Granted, I'm also firmly in the 'train for strength, not for the beach' -camp, but why all the hate man? If one's going for strict hypertrophy and doesn't care that much about strength (or getting adept at pullups) then why not do lat pulldowns.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I do both, just so people don't attack my routine lol.

Does anyone know what the name of that watch thing is that counts your calories?

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

That's a weird person.

7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't think anyone will argue that pullups are more of a compound movement that pulldowns.

The thing that you're missing in your whole logic of training is controlling intensity and volume for each body part and as a whole, and CNS taxation.

Yes, pullups hit more muscles but maybe the individual doesn't want to hit his abs and other stabilizers with it. Maybe he wants to hit his back more and the pulldowns allow him to use more weight while implementing a similar movement as pullups to do so.

You've got to realize that with training, there isn't one right way to do something. If that were the case, everyone would be on the same ultimate program doing the same amount of sets and reps with the same exact movements and machines.

8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Possibly Bodybugg? Don't know anything else fitting your description.

Yeah, no shit. That's why I put in the disclaimer.

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I've reevaluated the value of machines after watching this dorian yates video:

The KB stuff is tough on a lot of my muscles but it misses a lot of things i want to hit. I've started throwing in Machine Bench because I'd like to get a bit more chest development and It's been going great--I'm seeing great gains becuase I can push more with my chest without worrying about my relatively weaker lockout strength or overtaxing my shoulder. I also do some lat pulldowns if i want to feel it more after doing chins. If i gave more of a shit about Quad development, i'd probably do quad curls.

10. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Senior member

Once I'm up to my target lean muscle mass, how much can I taper back my eating? I detest overeating when I'm trying to add bulk so as soon as I can stop I will. Currently I'm doing a gram of protein per lb of body weight and about 2500 calories. I know that is nothing for most of you guys but I'm thin (145lb) and overeating makes me drowsy and not sharp. Over the last 2 months I've gone from 135lb eating this way but once I reach my target of 155, I'd like to know how much I can reduce it so that I don't lose the muscle. Usually I would eat about 1800 calories a day and 80 grams of protein. Any specific nutrients I need to include in diet to keep on muscle?

Thanks!

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Maintain a caloric intake that allows you to keep your weight the same, i.e. maintenance calories. A moderate to high protein intake is a good thing, regardless of whether you're bulking, cutting or just maintaining, 1g/lb is a good rule of thumb. Keep in mind that if you've managed to put on some pounds of muscle, your maintenance cals will not be the same as before, a bigger machine needs more fuel.

Yeah, also keep lifting, that'll help maintain your lbm more than anything.

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That shows the benefits from more of a bodybuilding perspective. But I totally agree with it too.

I found what Yates said about a thick midsection "ruining" the shape. Haha I guess that's bodybuilding for ya. No hate. Just found it interesting how something so valuable in a similar sport is the opposite in the another.

13. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Senior member

Thanks TRH, I forgot to adjust my numbers up for my new size. I'm planning on maintaining the same weights/reps as when I reach my goal...perhaps mixing the exercises up a little so as to not plateau.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I fucking love carbs. Nothing else to report at this time :laugh:

15. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011