Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So I decided to try out 115 on each side for deads today. Felt like I had absolutely no drive off the floor with that weight and I was basically doing a stiff leg deadlift. Now that I'm using the heavier weight I'm noticing the movement dynamics have really changed. I'm going to have to get used to this.

Opinions - the last two dead sessions I've felt strain in my hip flexor afterwards. Suggestions?

2. suited

suited Senior member

:slayer:

About your hip flexor, I'm assuming you're properly warmed up and stretched...I usually do deadlifts in the middle of my workout to make sure I'm warmed up. Deadlifts do weird things to my body on occasion. Before my injury, I noticed that as soon as I set the weight down after a set, I had this odd strain throughout my entire upper body...not painful, just odd. Who knows, maybe I was just aching that day. How long has it been bothering you?

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm glad somebody's approving of my weightlifting feats. :embar: I'll have to start labeling all my posts with either 5-3-1 or 5x5 again.

I'm not sure how long this has been going on for. More than a month. In that time I've only deadlifted 4 times though. I haven't been doing many squats either, mostly because of said pain.

4. sonick

sonick Senior member

I dunno wtf happened this past week or two but my back and core has seemingly exploded in both aesthetics and strength... Pull-ups got much easier and I can do toe-to-bars and windshield wipers now, just starting late last week.

Besides breaking 300 as a PR in 1RM in deadlifts last week right after a weekend of partying (previously 295 so relatively not a huge increase), I hadn't been watching my diet much, went out an evening or two more than usual, and caught a slight nose/upper chest infection. I did still manage to lift 4 days last week with a day of running and plyo thrown in. Weird how things work. Perhaps I just took in more calories than usual, despite not exactly being 'clean' calories.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

5. theom-

theom- Senior member

I've had on and off hip flexor pain for a while now. I notice when I don't properly warm up or prepare for squats this happens.
    My advice:

Ice
    NSAIDs
    DeFranco's agile 8 warm up
    Lots of foam rolling after squats and deadlifts
    Work on hip flexibility and hamstring flexibility

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I'll surprise myself sometimes too with notably increased performance in the gym despite a rather poor week, eating-wise.

7. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I'm worrying I wasted my smolov squat cycle by not eating enough over the last three weeks. Scale says I haven't put on any weight (might have lost a few fat lbs, actually) and I missed 2 reps on the last set today. :fu: Got 2 more workouts before the rest-and-test week.

Also, for some reason even though I can press a decent amount (relative to my weight), my bench press is still weak. Possible technique issue?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

8. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Thinking about gaining a load of weight when i go on starting strength in a few weeks. Rippetoe always says you should do GOMAD with it for best results. Think i could gain about 20lb in 2-3 months. At least then my lifts would be high enough that i would have good strength foundations to build more muscle.

9. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

10. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Do wall sits do anything? I like to throw together a few sets of push-ups while hanging out, watching TV and would like to add an exercise that works the thighs/quads/gluts. Any ideas? Not looking to do anything with weights, I'll save that for the gym/

11. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I did something to my left elbow joint. Aches like hell. I think 21 of the last 23 days training has finally caught up to me. I'm still going for 22/24 tomorrow though... will have to do a leg day I guess.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I got good results doing wall sits back a few years ago. Really carve up your legs, and the different angles you can sit hit different parts.

Plus the pain is so nice.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Not wall sits, but I do face-the-wall squats as warmup for KB stuff. I feel it hits the posterior chain from the low back down to hamstrings better than wall sits (which hit mostly quads for me)

14. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Bought a $30 suspension trainer. It's a 100% TRX clone, down to the pictures in the packaging and manuals. Only the name/logo and the color (red not yellow) is different. It even has a "community" URL that redirects to the TRX community/blog. I haven't checked the DVD, but I'll bet it's the same one that comes with the TRX.

Total impulse buy since the only time I ever used a suspension trainer was when my boxing trainer made me do suspended ab rollouts with the gym's TRX.

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

Hit 100kg on the lat pull down today. Don't care if pull ups are apparently better, going heavy on the lat pull down and actually doing the form right so it actually hits my lats and not just my biceps like most people end up doing has really put mass on my back.