Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I'm deloading this week, feels good man

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Gym is closed until Sep 1st, have to sub with some Planet Fatness -type commercial joint. Was there today for the first time and the only positive thing I have to say was that there was no line for the squat rack. Place had 8 bench presses set up, and I'm not even lying.

3. suited

suited Senior member

Yeah, have a rull ROM. No pain when I move my arm unless there's resistance. I had some pain plugging a cord into an outlet because the angle I was at made it sort of like a chest fly, so the resistance doesn't have to be great. I'm pretty sure that if it is a tear, it's minor, but still a tear nonetheless.

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Tried a sled-type leg press machine for the first time today. I am sure it will get ridiculed here as inferior to a similar free weight exercise but it felt like a pretty good way to work the quads/thighs

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

No joke. I always laugh at my local Gold's for having some 12 benches set up and in constant use, while no one even considers squats or DLs. Even the pull-up bar is scant used, but what can you say about teh bro's?

All chest and biceps. Yep, that's a great way to get women.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

It's good...

if you can't squat (insert humor)

7. theom-

theom- Senior member

So I'm interested in getting coached in olympic weightlifting, and I found that a few crossfit places near me have this. Now I'd still like to do the occasional amount of conditioning/ crossfit wods along with strength training, but the lady I talked to at one of these places says this really isn't possible. She basically said that I'd end up at mediocre in both, but I find this pretty hard to believe. Is it really that impossible to be quite strong and still have some level of conditioning? It sounds strange to me that power lifters will do some conditioning work while olympic lifters do none.

Anyone know anything about this?

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Starting IA SPBR tomorrow. Changing it a tiny a bit, how does this sound

Squat 3x5
    Romanian deadlift 3x10
    Kroc row 3x30
    EZ bar preacher curls 3x8 drop sets
    Heavy abs

Bench press 3x5
    Incline dumbbell press 3x10
    Seated dumbbell overhead press 3x10
    Close grip bench press 3x8 drop sets
    Calf raises 3x20

Deadlifts working up to 1x3
    Light squats 3x10
    Chin ups or lat pull down 3x10
    EZ bar preacher curls 3x8 drop sets
    Ab work

Incline dumbbell press 3x5
    Dumbbell bench press 3x10
    Seated dumbbell overhead press 3x10
    Close grip bench press 3x8 drop sets
    calf raises 3x20

Just swapped out a few of the lifts for ones I prefer and changed the deadlifts from 3x5 to 1x3. I don't see how anyone could do 3x5 if they're going heavy and want to keep the weight the same for all 3 sets. Close grip bench press instead of skull crushers and tricep pull downs because they're shit. RDLs instead of pull throughs or glute ham raises because pull throughs seem pretty dangerous and I don't have anything to do glute ham raises on and light squats because I dont have a leg press.

Did a couple 2 fingered chin ups today using the holes in some metal railing, actually found them easier then very wide grip chins except the fact they really cut my fingers up.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  9. theom-

theom- Senior member

Wayyy too much pressing, not enough pulling in my opinion, throw in kroc rows once more and then some pull ups. Keep a ratio of atleast 1:1, if not 2:1.
    Calf raises are pretty much worthless as well.

10. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I don't know anything about this, but a mediocre crossfitter is really just a random phaggot who is good at jumping and flopping around while a mediocre oly lifter can do things most normal people have absolutely no ability to perform.

12. APK

APK Senior member

I did 3 x 5 and usually didn't have a problem getting in all the reps at the working weight. Of course, it wasn't uncommon for me to almost be shitting my spine by the end of the third set.

13. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

We have these two sports in the USA called football and wrestling, participants in both of which have been known to be both strong and conditioned^^

There is a kernal of truth in what this lady says, but Im 90% sure it doesnt apply to your current situation. A relatively detrained person can simultaneously improve strength and conditioning for quite a while. You are pulling down the easy gains, and provided you're not over-programming with nonsense like 10 miles runs, you literally will not be able to stress your body to the point where conditioning interferes with weightlifting, or vice versa. Because you're not physically able to push yourself hard enough yet. You haven't build up that work capacity.

Eventually you may exhaust your easy gains (although the average non-athlete doesn't train with enough consistancy to do so.) At this point you will be walking a finer line between providing the right amount of stress and giving your body enough time and rest to recover. For someone focused on their lifts, this is the point where excess conditioning can inpact recovery and result in a ruined weightlifting workout.

You need to start making choices when you get to this point. A wrester closing in on the season or a football player going through two-a-days isn't worried about adding poundage to his lifts. You maintain and try not to lose too much while pushing your conditioning. Weight train in the off season.

14. theom-

theom- Senior member

Thanks man.

These are my goals for the next 6-10 months.

Tough Mudder (basically 10 mile obstacle course with hiking and some running)
    1-arm chin-up
    Under 7 minute mile
    25 pull-ups in one set
    clean and jerk 1.5x body weight
    snatch over 1x body weight
    bench 1.5x body weight
    back squat 2x body weight
    deadlift 2.5 x body weight

I'm not too far from these goals, but now that my gains have slowed I'm not sure how long it should take. I need to add another 80 lbs to my squat, 80 lbs to my deadlift, and 40lbs to my bench, as well as 65 to my clean and 50 to my snatch.

Is there any reason why I can't work on these all simultaneously? And if I can't, I'd assume I should work on strength before starting anything else right?

15. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This is highly individual. I agree that 3x5 is something that most people won't be able to push the same amount of effort for all three sets. I feel 2x5 is better to work with. I personally have trouble even with 2x5 sometimes and much prefer 3x3 where I the second and thirds sets feel much nicer and I can actually put enough power behind them. I get gassed after rep 3 or 4 on deadlifts when going heavy. But I train 2x5 a lot so I can get past weaknesses too.