Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Never too early. Numbers don't matter. You're only competing against yourself really.

Hell, I'm probably shooting for a lot of guy's openers at tomorrow's meet, but that doesn't stop me.

Also, fuji, BJJ will most definitely affect your lifts.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Oh come on guys. You can train a martial art and powerlift at the same time.

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Says the guy who does ass bridges on the bosu ball and squats 120.

[​IMG]

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Your cuts, they go so deep.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Have to learn sometime if I wish to stay a member of the exclusive SF community..

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Fuji, I also plan to do a PL meet some day. Bottom line, period, is that there is always someone stronger in your weight class. Your (any) weight class will also be riddled with steroid abuse. You have to do the meet for yourself.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

my "coach" had me bench pressing with bands today, saying that I'm not exploding enough on the bottom. You could try that. Bands make the weight heavier on the top, so you get used to coming out of the weight fast otherwise you dont get to full lockout.

goddamnit i'm so weak. I pressed 205x4 3 weeks ago and after busy busy/little workout has me grunting 185x4. I feel so weak pushing weeny weights next to these guys (one dude hit a 1RM at 615). I'm going to take my time.

I do have to say tho that I really really love this powerlifting bench press form. It just feels really awesome when you're tightened up. The squat form is a little awkward. Shoulders hurt a lot with low bar.

You guys think it's possible to get 300/400/500 at 165lb or is it only for the genetic freaks?

Also, can anybody do muscles up here? I practice between lifts and my wrists just hurt a ton. I can do 15 pull ups and most definitely 15 dips so I feel like I have the strength. Not sure what I need to improve on.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Muscle ups are mostly technique. All your doing is a pull up and then a dip so its not a massive amount of strength required its just form in transitioning. If I could comfortably do pull ups without the wrist pain i'd try learn how to do them, but a muscle up from a chin is significantly harder.

I might skip training for a meet and just do BJJ along with what im doing now. I just want something to train to this year since im not going to uni. The hassle of switching from front to low bar, the power lifting bench press and losing the straps seems like quite a lot to do and the fact that marfans disorder has raped my biomechanics for the bench. Anything i should change in my training if I start doing BJJ more intensely? I'm on 531 now. I know ill need to do some conditioning since being an ex smoker and having done no real cardio or anything really above 8 reps has killed my lung capacity so I get out of breath very quickly. I was thinking of reintroducing olympic lifts back into my workouts, probably just the power and hang versions, but I don't know where i'd put them. Ill probably be starting 4 hours a week in september depending on what my job hours are.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I stall at the top transition point between pull up and dip. I tried kicking, but no go.

BJJ sounds like a lot of fun. lol best i can offer

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

I thinks its pretty much required that you kip so you can get some momentum up. It can't be a slow motion, from what I've seen you have to go pretty quick, I've never seen anyone do them to failure where there squeezing out a last rep.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

interesting. i'll try more kip next time. thanks

12. theom-

theom- Senior member

Yeah what fuji said, practically no one can do an actual muscle up without kipping. If anyone can find one on youtube let me know.

13. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

I found this muscle up video. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I enjoyed it. Very educational.

14. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I've done approximately 5 muscle ups in my life. Always feel like a badass when I actually do one... Think I'll see what I can get at the gym tomorrow

and +1 to what has already been said. just do a super hard kipping pullup and put as much upper body weight forward once you get above the bar. The it's pretty easy to do a dip from there. Also you can change your grip to more palm being on the bar rather than just fingers. helps with the transition once you're on top of the bar.

15. atila

atila Senior member

Read about 15 pages back - people talking about using wraps for deadlifts? Bad idea, change your grip to mixed grip if you need to but using straps is pussy unless you are doing HEAVY weight (well over 2x bw). It will hurt you down the line if you do not develop your grip strength correctly.