Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

It's based on the assumption that meat is essential to human beings, which it isn't. Humans are adapted to a variety of environments. One of those environments is a meatless environment.

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Humans were designed to eat meat. What's wrong with that statement?
    You have evolution around back to front.
    1. humans weren't designed to eat anything.
    2. what in meat isn't in fruit and veggies? just because we are capable of eating something doesn't mean we were designed to eat it, or that it's an essential part of our diet.

In the end, all we need is carbs, protein, fat, fibre and some micronutients. it doesn't matter from where it comes. Would you say we were designed to eat raw meat? cos we only started cooking it about 40000 years, which isn't a very long time evolutionarily speaking.

Is cooking meat beneficial to us? because we started cooking meat before we were "designed" to cook meat.

But the whole "we were meant to eat this" shit is such bullshit. Saying "we evolved eating this shit" is stupid, because we only need to live to about 30 to be fit evolutionarily speaking. remember natural selection = those who can survive long enough to pass on their genes to successful offspring. case in point: huntington's disease.

3. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

You have evolution around back to front.
    1. humans weren't designed to eat anything.
    2. what in meat isn't in fruit and veggies? just because we are capable of eating something doesn't mean we were designed to eat it, or that it's an essential part of our diet.

In the end, all we need is carbs, protein, fat, fibre and some micronutients. it doesn't matter from where it comes. Would you say we were designed to eat raw meat? cos we only started cooking it about 40000 years, which isn't a very long time evolutionarily speaking.

Is cooking meat beneficial to us? because we started cooking meat before we were "designed" to cook meat.

But the whole "we were meant to eat this" shit is such bullshit. Saying "we evolved eating this shit" is stupid, because we only need to live to about 30 to be fit evolutionarily speaking. remember natural selection = those who can survive long enough to pass on their genes to successful offspring. case in point: huntington's disease.

Alright lets argue schematics.

Nothing (natural) was ever designed for anything. Fair. Rather eating meat just so happens to be the optimum way to synthesize important shit (animal proteins break down easier, etc...), especially when you consider the history of meat consumption.

I cannot prove that humans are "designed" to eat meat- bad choice of words on my part but I'm sure you know what I meant, but I can prove that humans are not herbivores... it doesn't need to be said that humans are omnivorous and our bodies evolved to readily digest and use nutrients from meat.

Humans SHOULD eat meat, but it doesn't mean they HAVE to, since we, as a civilization are at a point (along with several Hindu communities in history) where we can find all the necessary foods to sustain a non-meat existence.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

2. what in meat isn't in fruit and veggies?

Complete proteins. [​IMG]

5. gvibes

gvibes Senior member

In the end, all we need is carbs, protein, fat, fibre and some micronutients.
    Humans probably don't need dietary carbs. Though it's likely most efficicient to get at least the 100-120 grams of carbs a day needed for brain function. Otherwise, those carbs have to be created through gluconeogenesis.

6. Contingency Plan

Contingency Plan Senior member

Any time I see anyone doing anything other than heavy compound lifts, I feel hatred for the lack of optimal training in the general populace.

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I didn't want to start a thread, but does anyone have any input on wheat germ? I got some in bulk to add to my daily yogurt and I like it, hoping it will add some good calories to my diet so I can eat a little less crap throughout the day. I read somewhere that it may go rancid/bad/nutritionally worthless by sitting on the shelf, anyone have any idea about that?

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Wheat germ is a good fiber source/adds bulk. About 4-5g fiber and 100 calories per ounce.
    By weight it's quite high in percentage of (incomplete) proteins and nutrients.

If it is raw wheat germ it will go rancid fast- if it has been toasted it'll last longer but still turn because of the fat content. Just keep it sealed in the fridge and you'll be good to go.

9. j

Thanks. How would I know if it is already rancid? I don't think it is toasted but I'm not sure. I got it in bulk from a bin so it's been non-refrig'd for a while.

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

That's a sort of "you know it when you smell/taste it". It can be a little oddly tart/sharp...
    If the shop is selling it in bulk, not cooled they likely move it fast enough that it is not an issue.

My co-op for example keeps similar but much-slower selling bulk items in a cooler.

And it's not like it'll be bad for you per se... might just taste a little off.

11. j

I suppose I'll know when it ferments in my guts. I actually got it at Winco, don't know if you have that where you are, but they have an unbelievable amount of stuff in bulk and for very cheap. I don't know if the wheat germ moves quickly but I guess it didn't smell weird from what I could tell. (?)

12. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I suppose I'll know when it ferments in my guts. I actually got it at Winco, don't know if you have that where you are, but they have an unbelievable amount of stuff in bulk and for very cheap. I don't know if the wheat germ moves quickly but I guess it didn't smell weird from what I could tell. (?)
    Love Winco bulk foods section. They've got every kind of lentil and bean imaginable - never tried the wheat germ though.

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

2. what in meat isn't in fruit and veggies?

Omega-3 fatty acid. Sure, it's in a few non-meat products(flaxseed oil, walnuts), but far and away the best source is meat-based.

Evolutionarily speaking, it wouldn't make sense for us to be vegetarians. Considering many early humans were in temperate zones with a true winter, most of the vegetation(and almost ALL of the vegetation we would require for a vegetarian diet) is gone.

In fact, the beginning of agriculture is when a LOT of really, really bad things happened to mankind. We set ourselves back thousands of years in evolution because of agriculture.

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Complete proteins. [​IMG]
    the combination of different veggies can easily cover the complete amino acid requirement.

Omega-3 fatty acid. Sure, it's in a few non-meat products(flaxseed oil, walnuts), but far and away the best source is meat-based.

well, the best source of pretein is indeed meat too, but just because it's the best source doesn't mean other sources aren't adequate. omega 3 can be found in lots of veggies and nuts like you said, and you don't need heaps of it.

In fact, the beginning of agriculture is when a LOT of really, really bad things happened to mankind. We set ourselves back thousands of years in evolution because of agriculture.

A lot of you guys don't seem to understand evolution. You can' "set something back thousands of years in evolution". nothing in these 2 sentences make sense at all.

just to address the obvious point here; agriculture was beneficial to mankind. The limiting factor to humankind was simply not being able to get enough energy to survive and reproduce successfully in large numbers. agriculture enabled that.

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

A lot of you guys don't seem to understand evolution. You can' "set something back thousands of years in evolution". nothing in these 2 sentences make sense at all.

just to address the obvious point here; agriculture was beneficial to mankind. The limiting factor to humankind was simply not being able to get enough energy to survive and reproduce successfully in large numbers. agriculture enabled that.

Not true. Not true at all. While evolution isn't goal-driven, there is progression. And agriculture set us back. Agriculture introduced TONS of diseases we had never encountered before. It lowered our life expectancy. It caused humans to be several inches shorter on average. These are major setbacks in mankind. It is false to assume that evolution doesn't have progression. We, as humans, because less fit because of agriculture and it took us generations to recover.

And energy was never the limiting factor to mankind. It was a lack of social interaction...that is the correlation between agriculture and increased population.