• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

last workout tomorrow until meet day.

time for a week long of no-lifting-torture. at least I'll be in ny this saturday/sunday. time to eat and drink. hopefully gain a pound at least before the 20th.

What type of meet?

touchthesky

Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on doing deadhang pullups? I always thought that was the way to go, but my left shoulder has started popping now. I was searching through google and found lots of people say deadhang is the best, while others mention that the body isn't supposed to be in that position (stress on shoulders and weakens strength in the pullup).

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What are your guys thoughts on doing deadhang pullups? I always thought that was the way to go, but my left shoulder has started popping now. I was searching through google and found lots of people say deadhang is the best, while others mention that the body isn't supposed to be in that position (stress on shoulders and weakens strength in the pullup).

From what I understand if your shoulders are passive this is true which is why you should maintain active shoulders when doing dead hangs.

I just went into the gym and apparently it's 49 a month to use facilities and there's a powerlifting dude there who's in the 220 weight class and squats 640 or summit like that. i was told he doesnt charge fees as long as i'm in there consistently. sounds like a good deal to me

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never done anything but dead hang pull ups. Well chin ups actually, I don't think I've ever done an actual pull up, wrist position feels really awkward to me. If by weakens strength in the pull up they mean you won't be able to do as many reps doing dead hangs as you would doing partials thats true, but partials are ****. I could probably bench more if I didn't bring the bar down all the way, but it wouldn't do much.

Thats pretty much how I learned the olympic lifts, there was this guy who would always go the same time as me and he saw my pathetic first attempts at doing cleans and helped me out for a while.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've never done anything but dead hang pull ups. Well chin ups actually, I don't think I've ever done an actual pull up, wrist position feels really awkward to me. If by weakens strength in the pull up they mean you won't be able to do as many reps doing dead hangs as you would doing partials thats true, but partials are ****. I could probably bench more if I didn't bring the bar down all the way, but it wouldn't do much.

Thats pretty much how I learned the olympic lifts, there was this guy who would always go the same time as me and he saw my pathetic first attempts at doing cleans and helped me out for a while.

you are like my chav doppleganger in the uk.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am pretty weak and have only been lifting for a few weeks. I cannot do a pull up. What types of exercises/lifts should I do to increase the strength in the muscles used in a pull up?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So I am pretty weak and have only been lifting for a few weeks. I cannot do a pull up. What types of exercises/lifts should I do to increase the strength in the muscles used in a pull up?

Negatives. Dumbbell or barbell rows. Good luck du. Soon you'll have your first pull ups then on to one handed pull ups and muscle ups

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jump up, then resist the motion downwards for as long as possible. 4 sets of 30 seconds of eccentric should, after a while, lead you to be able to do chin ups.

Next, try to do as many chins as you can in say, 10 minutes, or whatever. Then try to decrease that time to get the same amount.

Once you can do 6 in a row, work up to 10x3reps (or whatever). Then increase it to 4, 5, etc. by the time you get to your old max, your total reps should have doubled.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Arti...es/Article/432/Rising_to_Pull-Up_Success.aspx

Meanwhile, I suck at chin ups because the grip is dumb. Pull ups are so much easier. Its how you deadlift anyways. I lack the flexibility or something to do supinated pull ups.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm back.

So I've been steadily hitting the weights and making good progress. I'm into my 3rd month back into the gym and am now up to 90lb dmb bench, 225 deadlift, 300 rack pull, and 135lb squat, all for 6 or more reps. The squat and deads are coming along slowly because I'm working through a strained hip flexor that's been a ***** to deal with. Almost up to a 135 barbell row too.

On the rehab side I just tried out Botox in my neck for the nerve/muscular pain I have there. We'll see if shows any appreciable results. Nothing like getting shot in the SCM to brighten your attitude.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Meanwhile, I suck at chin ups because the grip is dumb. Pull ups are so much easier. Its how you deadlift anyways. I lack the flexibility or something to do supinated pull ups.

I've actually found the opposite to be true for me.

Chad Waterbury just had an interesting article about pull-ups. I've always felt the same about the pull-up grip. It just doesn't feel natural for me with the bar.

Elsewhere, I tried on my favorite pair of black jeans tonight for the first time in months and ****, so, so fitted in the thighs and top block. Waist is actually not a problem, but they were so tight in those areas that I had to change. It's unfortunate, because my body composition has improved over the year, but it's coming at the expense of certain pieces of clothing.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are your guys thoughts on doing deadhang pullups?

Are there any other types? As indesertum mentioned, it's better to maintain active shoulders at the bottom rather than let yourself hang totally relaxed, but otherwise I've never seen the point of kipping pull-ups and such. At least deadhang is how they're done in the army.

And best of luck to charly, hope you'll dominate in the meet!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads