1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Yeah, I do a set of 3x10 hammer curls for my forearms, but other then that I don't do any dedicated arm exercises. I do 3x10 sets of bench press, dead lift and bent over row every other day and the other days I do 3x10 sets of close grip bench press, over head press and hammer curls the other days so I figure that does my arms enough.

sweet that sounds fine. But where's the squats?

2. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

I'm done with distance running. I didn't like it when I did track (100, 200, 400) and I didn't like it when I did crew. I've tried it, I've run 5ks but even 3 miles bores the crap out of me.

All I've done the last 2 weeks was
    3 days a week
    200m 90% sprint -> 200m 5k-10k pace jog run
    3-5 minutes rest
    repeat 6 times

or throw in some 400m sprints and some 100m/100m jog.

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

God I hate HIIT... I've been trying to give it some love, but lately I'm thinking it just not might be my cup of tea.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

sweet that sounds fine. But where's the squats?

I've been doing them sporadically, but I don't have a squat rack because I work out at home so I just have to hold the bar over my biceps, which is pretty awkward and really strains my arms. I'll eventually join a gym, its getting annoying buying plates every couple of weeks and the gym at my sixth form is only $15 for the year.

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I've been doing them sporadically, but I don't have a squat rack because I work out at home so I just have to hold the bar over my biceps, which is pretty awkward and really strains my arms. I'll eventually join a gym, its getting annoying buying plates every couple of weeks and the gym at my sixth form is only $15 for the year.

Learn to clean and front squat.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Hard to beat the recession whey blends from what I know - I remember paying ~$150 for 25lbs of iso/concentrate, which is a steal if you have to buy protein in Canada. $75 for 5lb of ON? No thanks.

Canada's a whole different ballgame as you well know- you guys get raped on supp prices.

The blends I typically get run higher than $10 a pound. For general purposes I keep around a box of Scivation which I get 10lbs for about $55-60.

7. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I'm a big supporter of Dante and their work at true protein but their protein is far from the "cheapest".

Is there a cheaper $/lb for a protein blend? The recession whey prices are some of the cheapest I have found.. maybe I have not looked hard enough. I used to get my protein from All The Whey and Trueprotein seems to be significantly cheaper.

8. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

God I hate HIIT... I've been trying to give it some love, but lately I'm thinking it just not might be my cup of tea.

HIIT is supposed to feel like you're going to die... you don't have to love it, just have to suck it up and do it. [​IMG]

9. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Interesting how breaks from the gym work.... I was away from the gym (and pretty much all physical activity) for 10 days due to holiday travel with the kids, relatives visiting, etc..... felt like a turd by the end of the time off and fairly convinced that I'd lay an egg in my first workout back. And what happens? Felt stronger than ever and set a PR on the seated DB shoulder press... [​IMG]

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Interesting how breaks from the gym work.... I was away from the gym (and pretty much all physical activity) for 10 days due to holiday travel with the kids, relatives visiting, etc..... felt like a turd by the end of the time off and fairly convinced that I'd lay an egg in my first workout back.

And what happens? Felt stronger than ever and set a PR on the seated DB shoulder press... [​IMG]

Yeah, deloading works wonders. I tend to be a bit of a gym rat myself, so I've noticed the same thing when I've been out of the gym for a while.

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Is there a cheaper $/lb for a protein blend? The recession whey prices are some of the cheapest I have found.. maybe I have not looked hard enough. I used to get my protein from All The Whey and Trueprotein seems to be significantly cheaper.

At 25lbs that's about $5.60 per which in this day and age is pretty competitive. That's about what I pay for SciVation. So for that blend if you are buying 25-50lbs, a good deal. Earlier I was referring to the custom blends.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

any cheap good tasting casein recs? I've tried ON and ISS so far. Liked both, but pricey Tried 1 RM today and got 265 on full squats, 205 for deadlifts, and 165 for bench press. -_-; pathetic i know. This is going to sound very [​IMG] but, will squats give me thicker legs? I've heard the typical high rep gives thinner low rep more load gives thicker legs, but i have no idea how true that is. 1) i'd like to be lighter (but stronger) cuz I pop and I want to be better at basketball. less mass = easier maneuverability. 2) i don't want to revamp wardrobe. Also, I like the slim aesthetic. Trying to get to sub 10 to see if that will help. Tuesday will be 5th of strict RFL with the leansguide IF, which has been on point so far. hunger pangs are kind of a nice feel from what i'm used to.

13. Eason

Eason Senior member

Man, I'm always torn between looking awesome naked/wearing casual clothes, and looking good in nice clothes. Nobody fucks with you when you're jacked, but my shirts busting at the seams isn't good either. I've discovered the happy middle ground is to drop a bit of mass and carry an ASP baton.

14. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Took a week off to let a small shoulder injury heal. Now i just feel skinny fat.

15. Eason

Eason Senior member

If you feel skinny fat after a week, it means you aren't eating enough protein and putting in the effort at the gym yet. Let that motivate you to stick with it.

16. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

will squats give me thicker legs? I've heard the typical high rep gives thinner low rep more load gives thicker legs, but i have no idea how true that is.

1) i'd like to be lighter (but stronger) cuz I pop and I want to be better at basketball. less mass = easier maneuverability.

2) i don't want to revamp wardrobe. Also, I like the slim aesthetic.

Trying to get to sub 10 to see if that will help.
    Tuesday will be 5th of strict RFL with the leansguide IF, which has been on point so far. hunger pangs are kind of a nice feel from what i'm used to.

If you're doing RFL I can't see where the caloric surplus to grow them wheels could come from... ofc your legs will LOOK quite a lot bigger when they're defined, as always happens when bf drops. That's why many times when dieting, one gets the "OMG, you're jacked" comments when, in fact, you're just smaller, more defined and not necessarily carrying any more LBM.

Gonna catch some flak for this I'm sure, but if you're in any way doing depletion training (along the lines of 4 x 15) I'd probably drop the full squat in favor of the leg press. The reason for this being that doing so high reps for many sets can elicit a breakdown in technique, which just leads to more problems.

Can't remember whether RFL had the depletion workouts in it or not..

To summarize; you want to get stronger, keep the squats in - w/ RFL caloric intake the deficit is far too large for the squatting to have any hypertrophy effects.

Just my .02 [​IMG]

17. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

If you feel skinny fat after a week, it means you aren't eating enough protein and putting in the effort at the gym yet. Let that motivate you to stick with it.

I just feel that way. I know I'm nowhere near skinny fat.

18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

any cheap good tasting casein recs? I've tried ON and ISS so far. Liked both, but pricey Tried 1 RM today and got 265 on full squats, 205 for deadlifts, and 165 for bench press. -_-; pathetic i know. This is going to sound very [​IMG] but, will squats give me thicker legs? I've heard the typical high rep gives thinner low rep more load gives thicker legs, but i have no idea how true that is. 1) i'd like to be lighter (but stronger) cuz I pop and I want to be better at basketball. less mass = easier maneuverability. 2) i don't want to revamp wardrobe. Also, I like the slim aesthetic. Trying to get to sub 10 to see if that will help. Tuesday will be 5th of strict RFL with the leansguide IF, which has been on point so far. hunger pangs are kind of a nice feel from what i'm used to.
    You should be able to deadlift more than you squat. You're either not squatting full range or have shitty deadlift technique. work on it. SInce you're training for basketball, you want low rep stuff to give you the most power and hence higher jump. Sprinters etc all do low rep stuff. Actually with legs, high rep stuff gives you the greatest mass because legs have more of the type 1 muscle. This makes sense since you use your legs all the time. Therefore the low rep stuff won't necessarily make you that much bigger but should make you much stronger and give you more hops. Check out Rippetoe deadlift on youtube. Good explanation. Keep the bar close to your shins, almost riding up them. This is what most people don't do.

19. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

Jumping on the RFL bandwagon to loose some flab.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

You should be able to deadlift more than you squat. You're either not squatting full range or have shitty deadlift technique. work on it.

SInce you're training for basketball, you want low rep stuff to give you the most power and hence higher jump. Sprinter etc all to low rep stuff.

Actually with legs, high rep stuff gives you the greatest mass because legs have more of the type 1 muscle. This makes sense since you use your legs all the time.

Therefore the low rep stuff won't necessarily make you that much bigger but should make you much stronger and give you more hops.

Check out Rippetoe deadlift on youtube. Good explanation. Keep the bar close to your shins, almost riding up them. This is what most people don't do.

bad deadlift technique for sure. i'm pretty sure i'm squatting full range.

thanks for the advice trh and hendrix. i really appreciate it