• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I write help I meant the push bit helps makes the bottom of the press easier not it helps make it stronger. Your right they only really help make your lock out stronger.

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I am having the exact same problem as johnny on my press. trouble getting out of the bottom, feels like I actually lost strength on my press. I've added push pressed with slow negatives, dumbell presses, and handstand pushups. What type of stuff can you do that focuses on power out of the bottom? There really aren't many overhead exercises except the press.

paused work. lower the weights and do a full 2 second pause at the bottom.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
30 miles today. Damn.

Cramped the **** up at the end. My legs just gave out completely. Admittedly, I was a *little* hungover, and I was fasted (just coffee for breakfast). Any ideas on good low calorie anti-cramp food? I know bananas are supposed to be good as they have potassium.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Massive lower back pain today, I haven't deadlifted since monday and I haven't squatted since thursday so I hope its not my form. I slept on a floor last night so maybe its that. It hurts to stand, walk, sit down or lie down. I was thinking it could be from good mornings, but I've been keeping the weight really low and keeping good form. Its just one part of my lower back, the bottom of the right errector just where it meets me glute. Hope its not too bad, may have to wait till later in the week until I do deads again.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I did Muay Thai 2 days ago, was partnered with a taller and heavier kick-boxer, the first 20 minutes were clinch drills. My head and shoulders are so unbelievably sore, it's insane.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any ideas on good low calorie anti-cramp food? I know bananas are supposed to be good as they have potassium.

Not a food recommendation, but if I'm really low-carbing it (quite rare nowadays though) or doing EC I usually use a potassium-magnesium supplement. I'm betting your local pharmacy has a reasonable facsimile if you want to try that.

Weird, somehow I seem to be digging the high bar squat much, much more than its low-bar cousin. Sure, I might not be hauling that much weight but the bottom position feels so solid, especially as I'm squatting in my Do-Wins - they make it pretty easy to hit a nice, deep squat without the dreaded posterior pelvic tilt (or butt wink, as SS readers would know it).

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

30 miles today. Damn.

Cramped the **** up at the end. My legs just gave out completely. Admittedly, I was a *little* hungover, and I was fasted (just coffee for breakfast). Any ideas on good low calorie anti-cramp food? I know bananas are supposed to be good as they have potassium.

damn. What a beast.

I played 2 hours of basketball and hour of breaking and am now pigging out on burrata, taleggio, tomatoes, fruit and wine

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a glass of water with some Nuun in it before you. Its a beastly electrolyte tablet geared towards endurance athletes. Also works well for the hangover.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Been a while since the Dr. has checked in. Some replies:

-APK - don't do anything where you have to support heavy weight with your lower back muscles. Ice for 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off continuously throughout the day. 2 Aleve twice a day along with 2 Tylenol twice a day. A muscle relaxer might help. They're very hit and miss though. Do all your work AROUND the injury and no powerlifting. Make sure how you're lifting the weights off the ground as well. You can easily throw out your back leaning over from a seated upright chair to grab a dumbbell. NO STRETCHING. Let the area rest. After a few days of this, report back and let us know how you're doing.

Johnny - What type of work are you doing for your shoulders OTHER than your 5x5 presses? You especially, with your shoulder injury past, need to be focusing on the stabilizers and small muscles that make up the shoulder girdle. There is more there than your front side and rear delts.

Please let me know when you receive my bills in the mail.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I will see about both of those

stinger70

Reaction score
ive been out of the gym for 3 weeks now, only lost about half a stone but I look as though I never lifted at all. Lost an inch from everywhere except my waist where I've gained one! I really hope
Muscle memory will come into play when I return but I didnt have the muscle for long so I'm not sure if it will.

Church's Goer

Reaction score
I've always found taking a week off of OP and doing some heavier than normal arnold presses helps me get past a rut. Done right, you use a tonne of muscle groups during the standing OP, so focusing on using as much of your core and keeping your shoulder blades nice and tight may help. Worse comes to worse, do deep dips with weights strapped to you and as those numbers go up (both reps and weight), so should your ability to get out of the first part of your OP.

JHBU2011

Reaction score
30 miles today. Damn.

damn 30 miles you doing it for triatholon, or marathon? You need plenty of electrolytes though.. I ran 5 miles this morning, but temp got to around 90 by 9:30. Where in the states do you live where u can do 30 miles and not over heat? Do you just run on a treadmill?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads