Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Well if that's your goal, I'd wager you're much better off actually focusing strictly on cardio work. The added work capacity means longer sessions which means more calories burned (if that's your goal) - trying to up your calorie burn by adding muscle is slow going to say the least and the difference will be minimal.

Do you know anything about Leangains? I'm considering switching to that diet. Plz to inform.

Serious? Bulk/cut/recomp, what?

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I love to tweak

[​IMG]

3. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Well if that's your goal, I'd wager you're much better off actually focusing strictly on cardio work. The added work capacity means longer sessions which means more calories burned (if that's your goal) - trying to up your calorie burn by adding muscle is slow going to say the least and the difference will be minimal.

I don't want to blow a lot of broscience and generalities around, but imo running makes you a more efficient runner that burns fewer calories while putting on muscle makes you a less efficient machine.

He's joking.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I go to the gym 4-5x per week (always for cardio, not always to lift). I mainly want to lift so that I have bigger muscles that will burn more calories when I do cardio. Not really looking to put on x lbs of muscle or achieve any sort of lift goals. Just looking to make sure that when I use the machines or the dumbbells that I am being effective and not wasting my time.
    So, say maybe 3x a week with weights? Twice upper body and once lower body?
    I was fucking with Eason.

5. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

So, say maybe 3x a week with weights? Twice upper body and once lower body?

If that'll do the job, that's cool. What exercises do I do?

I was fucking with Eason.

Just make sure he uses a condom. [​IMG]

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I don't want to blow a lot of broscience and generalities around, but imo running makes you a more efficient runner that burns fewer calories while putting on muscle makes you a less efficient machine.

That's why I put in the mention of larger work capacity. Still, gaining muscle is slow going.

He's joking.

Silly me [​IMG]

7. Prince

Prince Senior member

So I took a census of the weight machines available to me at my gym The list is below (there's a spoiler embedded in the spoiler, it does work just need to re-click). I'm guessing the first three are the most important machines?

• Row- Sort of like a barbell row, but you are seated.

• Overhead Press

• Chest Press - Basically a seated bench press.

• Assisted Chin-Up - Basically a chin-up bar with an adjustable counterweight on a bar that you place your feet upon instead of having them dangling beneath you.

• Fly/Rear Delt

• Arm Curl - Standard bicep machine

• Arm Extension - Standard tricep machine

• Abdominal - Sort of like seated situps.

• Back Extension - You sit leaning forward and you lay back causing the weights to lift

• Leg Press

• Leg Extension - Sitting with your knees bent at 90 degrees, bring knees up until straight

• Leg Curl - The opposite of Leg Extension

• Hip Abduction/Adduction - Basically the thighmaster.

• Calf Machine - Place toes on edge of platform, use calves to lift weight.

• Pull Down - Standard machine for your lats.

• and this thing:
      [​IMG]

Hmm, looks pretty much like my gym's equipment. [​IMG] We do have a Smith though and dumbbells, so I mainly use that. The last thing in your list (the cable thing) is pretty useful imo. I use that for bicep and tricep work. You can also do rows and side raises with it. I would focus on that one, combined with dumbbells (if you have those).

Let's see the photo.

This!

8. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Over the past few months (beginning of March until last week) I lost about 14lbs and have been lifting hard. I was looking very lean and muscular and my abs were just starting to come through. This past 4th of July weekend I went to a couple of pool parties/BBQs. People who have not seen me with my shirt off since last summer were pretty much in awe of my progress and I was getting complements left and right. I'm not going to lie...It felt fucking great. Now, this past week my knee has been really bothering me (MRI showing a torn meniscus) and am compensating the knee by somewhat limping, but that is also making my ankle hurt pretty badly also. Went to a physical therapist for a second opinion after seeing a shitty doctor a month ago, and am scheduled to see a orthopedic surgeon next week. The general consensus is I need knee surgery, and that surgery will keep me off my feet for 4-6 weeks. [​IMG]. Now all of my progress is gonna go down the tubes because I know if I can't work out, I'm not gonna maintain my diet.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

I had 2 months off and my diet and sleep went to shit because of exams. Took me about a week to get back to where I was before hand. As long as your diet doesn't go too bad you won't put on much fat, I lost a bunch of weight during my 2 months off. 4-6 weeks isn't that bad.

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

The general consensus is I need knee surgery, and that surgery will keep me off my feet for 4-6 weeks. [​IMG]. Now all of my progress is gonna go down the tubes because I know if I can't work out, I'm not gonna maintain my diet.

Sorry to hear that man, that's a bummer no doubt about it... I won't wax poetic about how such a break will not affect your lifting and physique (because it undoubtedly will somewhat), but you have the will and determination and those won't go anywhere. Just heal up, then start again - I guarantee you'll be back in action (and in shape) sooner than you know.

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

I'm now having a hard time keeping weight on due to my job. Swimming around for 8 hours a day gives me probably 5 effective solid hours of LISS cardio 5 days a week - fat is shredding off my body like nothing. I've gone from a flexed four-pack to an unflexed 4.5 pack or so. Sounds pretty vain, but I've never been this lean and it feels fucking awesome. If you're wondering whether or not to drop some extra pounds, do it, since I look and feel better at 165 than I did at 185, albeit with lesser numbers and performance. I have 2 more months of this; I wonder how it'll turn out. Lifting progress has been steady with 5/3/1 so far, just gotta make sure I eat enough to keep progress steady.
    Now all of my progress is gonna go down the tubes because I know if I can't work out, I'm not gonna maintain my diet.
    Do everything you can to not fuck up your diet. When I took time off for my shoulder, I let everything go to shit and I paid for it; lost 15 lbs, gained fat, and my numbers literally halved. To grind that hard for so long and see all of that hard work disappear in a mess of laziness and apathy was fucking depressing. I'm now back on track, but holy shit man, don't resign yourself to failure. The fact that you were getting props for your progress means you're already at a great spot - let your knee heal, but don't just throw everything away because you can't lift.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Do everything you can to not fuck up your diet. When I took time off for my shoulder, I let everything go to shit and I paid for it; lost 15 lbs, gained fat, and my numbers literally halved. To grind that hard for so long and see all of that hard work disappear in a mess of laziness and apathy was fucking depressing. I'm now back on track, but holy shit man, don't resign yourself to failure. The fact that you were getting props for your progress means you're already at a great spot - let your knee heal, but don't just throw everything away because you can't lift.
    I agree with Rudolph. Diet is key here. Also, I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "keep you off your feet for a month", since its only a torn mensicus. Most people walk after the first few days, albeit with crutches and whatnot, and aren't bed ridden at all. I helped someone through it myself (although, they only had a minor tear) and they were walking without the crutches in about a week or so.

13. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Sorry to hear that man, that's a bummer no doubt about it... I won't wax poetic about how such a break will not affect your lifting and physique (because it undoubtedly will somewhat), but you have the will and determination and those won't go anywhere. Just heal up, then start again - I guarantee you'll be back in action (and in shape) sooner than you know.

I'm now having a hard time keeping weight on due to my job. Swimming around for 8 hours a day gives me probably 5 effective solid hours of LISS cardio 5 days a week - fat is shredding off my body like nothing. I've gone from a flexed four-pack to an unflexed 4.5 pack or so. Sounds pretty vain, but I've never been this lean and it feels fucking awesome. If you're wondering whether or not to drop some extra pounds, do it, since I look and feel better at 165 than I did at 185, albeit with lesser numbers and performance.

I have 2 more months of this; I wonder how it'll turn out. Lifting progress has been steady with 5/3/1 so far, just gotta make sure I eat enough to keep progress steady.

Do everything you can to not fuck up your diet. When I took time off for my shoulder, I let everything go to shit and I paid for it; lost 15 lbs, gained fat, and my numbers literally halved. To grind that hard for so long and see all of that hard work disappear in a mess of laziness and apathy was fucking depressing.

I'm now back on track, but holy shit man, don't resign yourself to failure. The fact that you were getting props for your progress means you're already at a great spot - let your knee heal, but don't just throw everything away because you can't lift.

Yea, it's hard not to eat whatever you want when you arent seeing results, especially, for me since I love to cook, food, wine, and beer. At least for me though, I feel like I have mastered my leangains([​IMG]) diet and can easily adhere to it .

I agree with Rudolph. Diet is key here.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "keep you off your feet for a month", since its only a torn mensicus. Most people walk after the first few days, albeit with crutches and whatnot, and aren't bed ridden at all. I helped someone through it myself (although, they only had a minor tear) and they were walking without the crutches in about a week or so.

Well there are a few places where you can get tear in your meniscus. Some are closer to the blood supply in the knee which means they can heal pretty quickly, some farther from the blood supply. The area where my tear is, is far from the blood supply so it can take much longer to heal. From what I was told from a post-op physical therapist yesterday, MRIs can be misleading so the doctors wont know really know the extent of the injury and the surgery until they go in arthoscopically (sp?) and see the damage. I'm hoping the MRI was misleading and the fix is just going to be a minor procedure.

14. worldrunner

worldrunner Senior member

You guys can gain muscle to by general resistance. 15 of raised thumbs up and then down.... 3 sets... Then with the resistance cord you can do a whole workout... A medicine ball is very beneficial as well, and you can do it all at home. Stomach to head lifts, one arm shoulder to above head lifts, behind head lifts with 2 hands, hands straight forward with elbows locked and bringing it side to side 12 times will kill you. Not only do all these help your arms, but also your core

15. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

At my old gym there was a dude on crutches who just worked machines. Something to consider. 25 miles today. Dropped 3lb off from the ride, and that was after drinking water [​IMG] Loving it though. Seriously considering picking up a road bike