Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't know what you mean, that wasn't the assistance work. I was doing deadlifts as my core lift of the day and for my last set I pulled 85% of my calculated 1rm 10 times so I think im using too low a calculated 1rm.

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

You hashed-tagged that shit and I immediately thought of twitter. Dammit know everyone knows Im a twit.
    Strangely enough I use hash tags w/o being on Twitter. A habit I picked up on another message board

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I don't know what you mean, that wasn't the assistance work. I was doing deadlifts as my core lift of the day and for my last set I pulled 85% of my calculated 1rm 10 times so I think im using too low a calculated 1rm.

So you're not doing 531, I take it? The set-rep-scheme is a bit obvious on that program.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

No the last set is 5+ and 85%, which I think means do 5 or more reps at 85% of your 1rm so I think if Im doing 10 reps at that weight then im using too low a 1rm.

5. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Well the actual book advocates only pushing forward on one or two exercises a cycle, and usually in 3 or 531 week.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

No the last set is 5+ and 85%, which I think means do 5 or more reps at 85% of your 1rm so I think if Im doing 10 reps at that weight then im using too low a 1rm.

Oh yeah, nvm. However, I think it's still useful to start low, even if it feels silly. Just go with what you think you'll make most progress with.

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Finally back from travelling and able to get back into the gym tonight!

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Ill see how it goes tomorrow on my bench press day, if thats too easy as well Ill increase my 1rm estimates. Im guessing I shouldn't do squat and deadlift day back to back either.

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Ankle/calf started killing me during my run today. I'm definitely pushing too hard by stacking my routine/running.

I'll see how it feels tomorrow but right now, ouch

10. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

pumped for the IPA Raw Nationals on august 20th!

anyone in the tristate area want to join in? [​IMG]

Do they let you use straps for DL even in raw-unequipped? I managed 1100 raw total in the winter at 190lbs, which I imagine is no-where close to being competitive.... and in the summer I do more outdoor activities like riding bike and swimming instead of lifting big iron, so I'd probably struggle to break 1000 right now.

Keep lifting hard and smooth, be safe, and good luck!

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Just my 2c on the program.

Pulling 10 on 5day for your first crack at 5/3/1 isn't too terribly under estimated. I would consider 8 to be the sweet spot, which tends to lead you towards 5 on the 3day and 3 on the 1day. If you only pull 5 on 5day, you are quite close to going to fail on 3day, and 5/3/1's general strategy is to not fail for long periods of time.

It is likely possible to do just fine with pulling 5 on 5day, but sleep and food needs upped a level to keep up, or general volume cut down. Like, a pure 5/3/1 program without assistance, but almost nobody does that due to addiction.

12. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Sick again. I've gotten sick 3 or 4 times since flu season started towards the end of last fall. Said fuck it, I've had enough setbacks at the gym and went today anyways. Felt okay and had pretty good energy levels. But now I feel like I'm going to get a massive headache and pass out.

WTF? I've never gotten sick so frequently in my life. More vitamin C?

13. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Chariy is in teh Tristate?

SF RHAETT meet anyone?

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Do they let you use straps for DL even in raw-unequipped? I managed 1100 raw total in the winter at 190lbs, which I imagine is no-where close to being competitive.... and in the summer I do more outdoor activities like riding bike and swimming instead of lifting big iron, so I'd probably struggle to break 1000 right now.

Keep lifting hard and smooth, be safe, and good luck!

straps, never in any federations' divisions. 1100 is solid work in 198s.

Chariy is in teh Tristate?

SF RHAETT meet anyone?

in philly. I'm down for a SF meet.

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

First day back at the gym, didn't find wendlers 5/3/1 to be too, hard went for 10 reps at 85% of my 1rm so I think I might have used to low a 1rm for my dead lifts. Strength didn't really go down at all for any of my lifts. I did have a lot of problems with my clean and jerk though, I couldn't catch the bar properly. I usually catch the bar with the back of my hands on my traps and split my legs to the side, but now Im catching it with my forearms angles and my hands off my traps which is very uncomfortable and its hard to jerk from. It may be my wrists aren't as flexible as they used to be, but Ill just drop the weight and see if my form gets better.

lolwut?