Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I've never had a problem with protein powders through security. I've never used creatine, so I'm not sure about that.

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I've never had a problem with protein powders through security. I've never used creatine, so I'm not sure about that.

It was worse three years ago. I've gone through gates lately with protein and it was no issue. However, sonick is crossing the USA border... if they don't check your bag you'll probably be fine and might still be... but why risk the hassles?

As sonick probably knows, it is probably harder going the other way given the number of supplements available here that are banned in Canada.

Had a friend in Montreal simply forget and lost about $200 in protein and other supps crossing back from Boston to Montreal.

3. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

I've managed to get most of my workout to bodyweight exercises only. I box & do capoeira, so the extra bulk I've put on with weights in the past slows me down (or at least I think it does.) My google search and exercise forums search came up empty so I'm curious if anyone knows a body weight exercise I can do that would replace deadlifts? Thanks.

4. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

Precisely!!!

I try to go for less than 5 reps per set. Remember, I am lifting for strength.

And I have had very good results from my workouts.

For what it is worth, my workouts are closely structures on Ross Enamait's Infinite Intensity program.
    My goals are strength and power WITHOUT hypertrophy. That's why a fighter's training regimen which is what Ross teaches works for me.

I'm curious why your objectives don't include hypertrophy.

5. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I've managed to get most of my workout to bodyweight exercises only. I box & do capoeira, so the extra bulk I've put on with weights in the past slows me down (or at least I think it does.) My google search and exercise forums search came up empty so I'm curious if anyone knows a body weight exercise I can do that would replace deadlifts? Thanks.

You do realize that mass gains come from diet, right? It's quite possible to get huge from body weight work (see gymnasts). Just keep your diet lean. If you're interested in simply being able to knock out a ton of reps, then lower the weight.

6. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

[...]I'm curious if anyone knows a body weight exercise I can do that would replace deadlifts? Thanks.

Maybe glute/ham raises w/ back extension for replacing stiff-legged deadlifts, but obviously, that's a very rough approximation.

Alternatively, trip somebody at the gym and then deadlift them off the ground (easier if they wear a belt). That's a bodyweight exercise, no?

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Whatever it is, it is probably one legged.

8. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Wandered aimlessly about the grocery looking for something clean, cheap, protein rich, and palatable to help me throw back a thousand calories. Found a 1 lb package of fresh ground turkey. Damn delicious for $1.99 - wish I had found this sooner.

9. Saigon

Saigon Well-Known Member

/\\ /\\

Turkey Chili [​IMG]

10. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Big Pun, are you a boxer?
    I'm an amateur.

11. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I'm an amateur.
    Okay. I saw a Big Punisher on another forum and was wondering.
    Pork tenderloin.

12. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I have many goals, involving bodyweight benchmarks as well as speed and endurance on land and in water. Basically, think Navy SEAL fitness and endurance. Having extra muscular weight does nothing for my goals. Being lean and strong is everything.

13. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

I have many goals, involving bodyweight benchmarks as well as speed and endurance on land and in water. Basically, think Navy SEAL fitness and endurance. Having extra muscular weight does nothing for my goals. Being lean and strong is everything.

Ok, gotcha. But isn't there a limiting factor to strength with no hypertrophy? Your strength will peak and unless you add muscle mass your strength won't increase or increase very slowly. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this as I'm sure you have done more through research on the topic than I have.

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Ok, gotcha. But isn't there a limiting factor to strength with no hypertrophy? Your strength will peak and unless you add muscle mass your strength won't increase or increase very slowly. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this as I'm sure you have done more through research on the topic than I have.

I've heard some stuff about low rep stuff actually increase CNS strength rather than muslce (increase axon firing rate maybe?) but this sounds like complete bullshit from the basic physiology i know.

maybe possible to increase cellular density of actin and myosin a couple of %?

but probably only real change is lower body fat.

15. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Certainly- hypothethically, more muscle mass trained to optimal strength would be "stronger" than optimally trained lesser muscle mass.

But you can readily see examples in any gym to show that few people are optimally trained for strength. Additionally, percentage of slow versus fast-twitch muscle really matters.
    Thus why the little guy at my gym that, while muscular for his size, is not a beast by any stretch, yet he can at about 150 squat north of 400 for reps while one of the guys with the most mass can't do 400 as a 1RM.