• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
For what it's worth, guys, I stopped doing the PWO shake four or five months ago and haven't noticed any real difference. I go home right from the gym and am eating my big meal of the day within an hour of my last rep.
I found that when I stopped eating a big meal right after a workout, I'd actually have more energy. The double whammy of being physically tired plus sated just wasn't feeling right. I also like waiting 3-4 hours after the workout for the real hunger to set in, it makes the meal more enjoyable as opposed to cramming the food down.

virus646

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
For what it's worth, guys, I stopped doing the PWO shake four or five months ago and haven't noticed any real difference. I go home right from the gym and am eating my big meal of the day within an hour of my last rep.
Well, you're basically doing the post workout shake thing but with a meal (which is better). That's how I do it these days and I haven't found a difference either. Not eating something few HOURS after your workout may affect your progress though. Your body need fuel but just not in a fixed time frame. EDIT: Hartmann: I dunno, I guess it depends on your goals. As long as your satisfied with your results you may not have to worry about it.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
This video makes me want to run to my gym and start front squatting. Like right now.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Front squats are definitely one of my favourite movements, I find them much easier to do that conventional squats. Always a fun grinder to do for reps
Originally Posted by hendrix
CNS taxation. Thoroughly unconvinced on this idea.
the majority of the lifting world does, so I don't know what to say... try doing two opposing activities (say, running and bench pressing) at 100%. Even if one doesn't suffer, you wont progress as well as you would on either one if they were done individually. I think I recall you putting up some pretty good numbers with minimal training (this could be false) so your individual case might be a bit different.

vilinx

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea if it's vaguely equivalent to do say one 45 minute workout (lifting) or two 30 minute workouts? I find my mind wanders and I lack motivation if I try to go past 45 minutes, while I could semi-easily do 30 minutes in the morning and evening if I really tried...

And yes, it'd probably be easiest just to get more dedicated but let's imagine that's not an option.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suck when I'm not focused so do whatever works, just make sure you're splitting up your session in an intelligent manner. Also consider doing two-a-days can have negative implications for scheduling, getting to the gym, etc. but if that's not an issue then go for it.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by virus646
Well, you're basically doing the post workout shake thing but with a meal (which is better). That's how I do it these days and I haven't found a difference either. Not eating something few HOURS after your workout may affect your progress though. Your body need fuel but just not in a fixed time frame.

Right, that's what I meant. I always consume something post lifting. It's just that I bought into the whole PWO shake thing for years. But since I almost always consumed a PWO meal, I thought the shake might be redundant. Months after dropping the shake, I think that may have been correct, for my goals, anyway.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vilinx
Anyone have an idea if it's vaguely equivalent to do say one 45 minute workout (lifting) or two 30 minute workouts? I find my mind wanders and I lack motivation if I try to go past 45 minutes, while I could semi-easily do 30 minutes in the morning and evening if I really tried...

And yes, it'd probably be easiest just to get more dedicated but let's imagine that's not an option.

It depends on the level on intensity. Say your 45 minute workout is pretty intense (maybe a 7 or an 8 on a scale of 10) then you'd be pretty good for the day. If you split your workout into 2 30min sessions and maintain the same intensity then you probably won't give your muscles the needed time they need to rest in between workouts. IMO you'be be better off working out once for 45 mins because you don't have to go the gym 2x in one day. It could potentially save you time and effort.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumping on the 5/3/1 bandwagon. Primary concern is length of workout and minimal assistance due to work schedule:

Day 1
Press 5/3/1
CGBP 3x8
Chinup 3x6

Day 2
Deadlift 5/3/1
Front squat 3x8
HLR 3x10

Day 3
Bench press 5/3/1
Guillotine or pin press 3x8
Kroc row, rest paused x failure

Day 4
Squat
RDL or GM 3x8
Ab roll 3x10

Anyone else doing 5/3/1 besides Eason and dbgm? Post them templates

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I get the size I want... I think I will switch to that 5/3/1 or a generally lower rep scheme workout

Too scrawny right now, relatively speaking

Weirdness at the gym yesterday... theres a trainer there who is huge, a little broish though, scrawnyish legs. He was going through his routine... all body weight stuff, just a basic circuit. It was weird to outrep him on dips and chins... with added weight... in a caloric deficit. How the **** do people get so big w/o moving weight, it's not fair man.

virus646

Reaction score
genetics brah, sometime they do suck!

Anyone else doing 5/3/1 besides Eason and dbgm? Post them templates
When I do a 5/3/1 cycle it looks like that :

Day 1
Press 5/3/1
Dips
Chins
Skull krusher

Day 2
Deadlift 5/3/1
GL Ham raises
Hack squats
Abs

Day 3
Bench press 5/3/1
Dbells incline press
Kroc row
Skull krusher

Day 4
Squat
SLDL
Hack squats
Abs

Accessories are usually 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps. Was a bit too hard to keep for more than a month but I've had great success with it. I would also suggest anyone considering 5/3/1 to read Jim wendler's eBook. It's easy to read and full of good tips/infos. It's even useful for those doing something else. Cheap too.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
I think it's real. A lot of noob gains are not muscle related, just purely the body learning how to call on the muscle. I started deadlifting 225lbs, within maybe 2 months I was DLing like 315. My back has always been strong, it was just the CNS.
That's different from "CNS taxing". What you're describing is how the brain gets better at recruiting all the muscle fibres in a particular muscle or group of muscles. "CNS taxing" implies that there's some mechanism whereby the CNS becomes fatigued with training. Maybe if someone could come up with a plausible physiological mechanism for this i might be more convinced.
Originally Posted by jarude
the majority of the lifting world does, so I don't know what to say... try doing two opposing activities (say, running and bench pressing) at 100%. Even if one doesn't suffer, you wont progress as well as you would on either one if they were done individually.
yeah, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with CNS. For one that would increase the energy burden, meaning less glucose/protein etc would be available for the bench press muscles. Furthermore, the bloodflow would be less efficient since the heart would have to be pumping blood around the whole body.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK

I'll probably starting downing a couple scoops of whey with water PWO when I resume eating around maintenance, just so I have less trouble hitting my protein total for the day. But I'm not really sold on the idea of chugging a bunch of fast-digesting carbs with that shake. YMMV, but it seems like a lot of the PWO fixation stems from sites such as T-Nation. By no coincidence, they have a series of supplements designed specifically for the ."

Same for me. I eat within an hour of leaving the gym so I dont really stress the PWO shake, but I do use the shakes to help get my share of protein fOr the day. Also, ON double chocolate whey delicious so if I ever get a craving for something I shouldn't be haVing I just blend it with some milk and I'm good to go afterwards.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
That's different from "CNS taxing". What you're describing is how the brain gets better at recruiting all the muscle fibres in a particular muscle or group of muscles.

"CNS taxing" implies that there's some mechanism whereby the CNS becomes fatigued with training. Maybe if someone could come up with a plausible physiological mechanism for this i might be more convinced.

I've noticed this on the water. If someone is in really crappy water conditions, is terrified of falling in, the rest of the day, even if conditions get better, they can't perform as well and are just a wreck. Hell, the group I'm coaching right now is going to the windtunnel course so I can report back on that one on Monday. I think what I heard (may be "old polish guy"-sci) was that it was that the adrenal glands or whatever that release the hormones that let you do work get tired.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but that's an endocrine mechanism, not really central nervous system. Also probably a psychological issue, which is not really the same as "CNS fatigue" as we've heard it described by bodybuilders. If you have dropped a weight then it makes sense that you'd be a bit less confident about benching your max without a spotter, and that would probably affect how well you push. What i think bodybuilders mean by "CNS fatigue" is that not only do your muscles get tired, but your nervous system becomes less capable of stimulating them. I haven't found any evidence for this though. There are tons of reasons not to over-exercise (muscle fatigue, endocrine issues, energy imbalance etc etc etc), I just don't know if "CNS fatigue" is one of them.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hendrix, your assessment may very well be true.

But I see it like this. There's two mechanisms for hypertrophy. The high rep low intensity stuff (sarcoplasmic; "the pump"; draws more on glycogen stores) and the low rep high intensity stuff (myofibrillar; powerlifer ****, draws more on ???). To me, there's no way the two reach the point of failure by the same means. Now I will get brosciencey here, but from what I understand, you fail in high rep stuff when you temporarily run out of fuel. What is the cause of failure in low rep high weight stuff? To me CNS makes sense. But I am 100% open to alternate theories as TBH I don't have anything concrete on CNS recruitment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads