Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

I stock up on old halloween candy in early November and use it as PWO carbs for a couple months

zombie sour patch kids FTW

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I don't believe in that post WO carb nonsense. I have a 75g whey shake after my workout and I go to bed about 2 hours later.

It's not like before you work out you have no carbs in your system. I don't know, I never bought that.

3. Cool The Kid

2nd day doing squats and deads today. The deads felt good - got 135 for 6 pretty easily. I'm trying the Rippy method of bar placement,etc. and it seems to be working pretty well. Squats, on the other hand, felt a bit off. I went with 115 for 6 and I felt like I was either too far forward or my hips were shifting front to back at the bottom point. I'm trying to use the hip drive like Rippy talks about but I think my upper body is a bit too forward when I focus on that. Also, my shoulders and upper back are getting sore from holding the bar. I'm sure some of this is just relearning the muscle memory but do you guys have any tips for bar placement and shoulder stress?
    Squats and deads in the same day? :unsureface:

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

I think its more fast carbs speed the delivery of protein to hungry, hungry muscle tissue - considering the point of a PWO shake is to do exactly that, I don't see why you wouldn't add at least some kinda carb to your shake. edit: ctk you didn't get the memo, rambo is not a pussy, i mean why on earth wouldn't you dead and squat on the same day if you're lifting 6 days a week?

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

lol, pussy stretch more
    Don't you have a sled to pull Santa's sled Rudolph?
    Squats and deads in the same day? :unsureface:
    What's the problem with that? They're both essentially lower body exercises.
    edit: ctk you didn't get the memo, rambo is not a pussy, i mean why on earth wouldn't you dead and squat on the same day if you're lifting 6 days a week?
    Exactly!

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

Don't you have a sled to pull Santa's sled Rudolph?

I'm getting mocked for sled pulling by a guy who does circuit training 6days/week, doesn't know what conditioning is, and deadlifts 135. Incredible; I don't have an issue with your thing as long as you don't run around calling people pussies for not subscribing to your questionable fitness regimen.

Serious answer to your squat question: assuming you're doing low-bar squats, shoulder and upper back pain is par for the course. Wider grip = easier, so other than that, just deal with it.

7. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

[​IMG] Rambo is amusing.

8. Cool The Kid

I do not want to come off as abrasive as jarude but I pretty much echo his sentiments. No Rippetoe, but when you are squatting and deadlifting more than 1.5x BW, we will see if you're able to do so 3x a week in the same workout. Squats and deads are like, the most demanding lifts out there, bar none, if for no other reason than for their high CNS taxing. But that only really becomes a factor when big weight is involved. I am not even sure the juice helps. Real talk Rambo I would consider cutting your volume in 1/2. I am still very curious to see your routine. I understand that one workout isn't perfect for everybody, but I can say with confidence being in the gym for 12 hours a week AND squatting/DLing is good for nobody.

9. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Also, my traps are hurting like hell due to a good helping of power cleans, high pulls and power snatches. I was thinking about doing 531 but I'm at a loss as to where I can put the oly lifts in.

just wondering something... what is your routine? I'm doing a simple power based routine based (IA) but always loved oly lifts without knowing where to place them without ruining the rest of the workout. I tried putting them after/before squats/deads (on 5/3/1) but they always seem to be too taxing for the big lift after.

About post-workout carbs, I don't believe in the 30 mins window after workout (after reading alanaragon and some other shit) but you shouldn't skip them either. I usually use that "time frame" to indulge something sweet such as ice cream or cereals. Works for me.

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Squats and deads are like, the most demanding lifts out there, bar none, if for no other reason than for their high CNS taxing. But that only really becomes a factor when big weight is involved. I am not even sure the juice helps.

I think cycling some test would definitely help with recovery and obviously with calorie partitioning, so that one can take in a bit more calories which again helps recovery. I'm not talking from personal experience though.

just wondering something... what is your routine? I'm doing a simple power based routine based (IA) but always loved oly lifts without knowing where to place them without ruining the rest of the workout. I tried putting them after/before squats/deads (on 5/3/1) but they always seem to be too taxing for the big lift after.

My cleans aren't really all that impressive yet, so I do 'em on my DL day. Otherwise I'm doing a push/pull 2-day split, in the gym 4 x wk. And usually one extra session on top of that for bar and light mobility work, odds and ends, stuff like that (usually this is just for technique and such, I'm trying to work up to a decent power snatch). I'm trying to keep everything as simple as I can b/c I'm lifting strictly for strength nowadays.

Also to the high volume thing: it's really not for everyone and especially so if you're talking about moving decent poundage. One only has to look at the insane volume of the Bulgarians, who basically do everything all the time. A bunch of lifters get on the program and (surprise, surprise) most can't hack it. Those that do, well, these are the guys who break the WRs.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm getting mocked for sled pulling by a guy who does circuit training 6days/week, doesn't know what conditioning is, and deadlifts 135. Incredible; I don't have an issue with your thing as long as you don't run around calling people pussies for not subscribing to your questionable fitness regimen. Serious answer to your squat question: assuming you're doing low-bar squats, shoulder and upper back pain is par for the course. Wider grip = easier, so other than that, just deal with it.
    Don't be so sensitive Rudolph. I was fucking with you just like you were fucking with me.
    [​IMG] Rambo is amusing.
    I make an effort.
    I do not want to come off as abrasive as jarude but I pretty much echo his sentiments. No Rippetoe, but when you are squatting and deadlifting more than 1.5x BW, we will see if you're able to do so 3x a week in the same workout. Squats and deads are like, the most demanding lifts out there, bar none, if for no other reason than for their high CNS taxing. But that only really becomes a factor when big weight is involved. I am not even sure the juice helps. Real talk Rambo I would consider cutting your volume in 1/2. I am still very curious to see your routine. I understand that one workout isn't perfect for everybody, but I can say with confidence being in the gym for 12 hours a week AND squatting/DLing is good for nobody.
    I don't know how it became dogma that I don't know what I'm doing in the gym. Just because I haven't had access to a gym, or the ability to go to one, doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. I'm rusty, sure, but not a Bro. Also, I never said I was A) doing both squats and deads, at the same time, 3x a week, B) stupid enough to both squat and dead enough to drive myself into overtraining, or 3) Pull a sled. That last one would just make me weird [​IMG] Here was today's workout (not including warmup sets) Squats - 3 sets of 6 Deads - 3 sets of 6 seated calf raises - 15, 15, 12 super with back extensions - 3x 12 quad set of planks with heels on a stability ball, warrior holds, planks, and side planks. 15 reps on the planks and 30 sec holds on all the other exercises. All this took about 75 minutes.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Idk if it's total broscience or not, but I guess if you're going to endulge in quick carbs it's usefult to do so PWO. IIRC Lyle recommended something to that effect on UD2.

Also, my traps are hurting like hell due to a good helping of power cleans, high pulls and power snatches. I was thinking about doing 531 but I'm at a loss as to where I can put the oly lifts in.

I've been thinking of going on 531 as well and I was going to put my olympic lifts of deadlift day since they do your lower back and traps pretty hard and your legs, but not in the same way as squats. I usually do some jerks separate from c&j and I was gonna put those on overhead press day.

13. theom-

theom- Senior member

Cheat day today, but I just don't have the kind of food in the house that I want on a cheat day. I just ended up drinking juice, snacking on stale croutons and eating instant oatmeal -_-

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

Cheat day today, but I just don't have the kind of food in the house that I want on a cheat day. I just ended up drinking juice, snacking on stale croutons and eating instant oatmeal -_-

I hate shitty cheat days, nothing like being able to eat anything and only being able to eat crappy food. [​IMG]

15. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

No Rippetoe, but when you are squatting and deadlifting more than 1.5x BW, we will see if you're able to do so 3x a week in the same workout. Squats and deads are like, the most demanding lifts out there, bar none, if for no other reason than for their high CNS taxing. But that only really becomes a factor when big weight is involved. I am not even sure the juice helps.
    Squats and deads on Wednesday (deadlifts are worked once a week at most) seems to work fine for the guys on Rip's forum. Rip does recommend going light on the Wednesday squats or replacing them with front squats as part of the Advanced Novice program.