1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sancho Panzo Christ

Sancho Panzo Christ Senior member

Having just returned from the UK to my home town of Paris, I observed that British people are becoming very fat indeed. French people, however, seem to be rather thin in comparison.

from something i read recently, brits are just right behind americans in terms of obesity (something like high 20% of population, if i remember correctly). what astonished me was that this study had the french as being around 15% of total population. having spent some time there, i cannot imagine this being the case--unless perhaps this is mostly a trend in rural france?

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Veiny forearms are veiny... god damn!

Gear or no gear, thats an impressive physique for a guy pushing 60. Come to think of it, he's probably in way better shape than most dudes half his age.

3. sonick

sonick Senior member

Fuuuuck crazy active day today.

Glamour muscle day today... Took a scoop of 1MR pre-workout mix in the morning, 1.5 hours at the gym blasting my delts/tri's/bis... Then did a bit of work on my deadlift form.

Had a protein shake with glutamine with a juice to wash it down. Then dominated for 2 hours of 2-on-2 basketball, won all 3 games. Just had another protein shake with some Chlorella to wind things down.

Awesome day.

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Deadlift q: Are rack pulls useful in breaking dead plateaus?

Case-in-point: Was working out today, heavy back day, carb-up yesterday so strength was up and feeling pretty pumped. Did my usual deads, ending w/ 3 x 308 - then, as I was alone in the gym I thought I could "ego it up" a bit and try for my 1RM. put 320 on the bar and psyched myself up for the lift.

I set up on the bar, grip it like a motherfucker, pull the flex out of it... and couldn't raise it past mid-shin. Now I don't know whether it was my form that was breaking up or just me being weak, but I definitely felt that was a sticking point for me, as I usually have more trouble getting the bar moving than with locking it out.

So, rack pulls at mid shin-level, yay or nay?

5. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Deadlift q: Are rack pulls useful in breaking dead plateaus?

Case-in-point: Was working out today, heavy back day, carb-up yesterday so strength was up and feeling pretty pumped. Did my usual deads, ending w/ 3 x 308 - then, as I was alone in the gym I thought I could "ego it up" a bit and try for my 1RM. put 320 on the bar and psyched myself up for the lift.

I set up on the bar, grip it like a motherfucker, pull the flex out of it... and couldn't raise it past mid-shin. Now I don't know whether it was my form that was breaking up or just me being weak, but I definitely felt that was a sticking point for me, as I usually have more trouble getting the bar moving than with locking it out.

So, rack pulls at mid shin-level, yay or nay?

I am not sure you hit a plateau, per se. You tried for a 1RM after heavily fatiguing yourself with what is probably close to your 3RM.

The usefulness of rack pulls comes not as an accessory lift to supplement a sticking point in the deadlift, but rather as a replacement for the conventional deadlift when programmed in combination with halting deadlifts.

How often are you deadlifting now? When your dead gets heavy enough, you will reach a point where you can't recover from it in a single week. That is when you can start alternating rack pull and haltings every other week.

Also, with a sticking point below the knees, nothing will help more than getting your squat up.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Usually do deads once per wk, so far it's been working pretty good for me. I don't think I'm yet at that level (poundage) where it would take me 1wk+ to recover, so I guess won't be adding in the rack pulls. Thanks for clearing that up [​IMG]

Everyone loves big wheels anyways, so more squatting it is.

7. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

TrH, it sounds like you were just too worn out to perform a 1RM. I really wouldn't suggest pulling your 1RM anyways, because you're not competing (taking a guess) so there's no point taking the risk of injury pulling a 1RM which could set you back a long ways.

It sounds like you might need to work on explosiveness off the floor. Speed deadlifts with 55-60% of your 3RM and bands are a great way to build explosiveness. Bring up your hamstrings as well, as they are very important to getting the weight moving as well as locking out.

One more thing; according to my calculations your 1RM is around 340lbs. I use the (weight x reps) x .0333 + original weight formula. (308x3)x.0333+308 = 338.8

8. APK

APK Senior member

Had a donut this morning for the first time in a couple of years. I also had ice cream a couple hours later. But the best tasting thing I had all day was a chicken breast with adobo seasoning, hot chilis, and yellow and red peppers. Cot damn.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I am not sure you hit a plateau, per se. You tried for a 1RM after heavily fatiguing yourself with what is probably close to your 3RM.

The usefulness of rack pulls comes not as an accessory lift to supplement a sticking point in the deadlift, but rather as a replacement for the conventional deadlift when programmed in combination with halting deadlifts.

How often are you deadlifting now? When your dead gets heavy enough, you will reach a point where you can't recover from it in a single week. That is when you can start alternating rack pull and haltings every other week.

Also, with a sticking point below the knees, nothing will help more than getting your squat up.

Nice post. [​IMG]

10. Brooke

Brooke New Member

Hi Mate

There are different standard indexes such as body to weight ratio , Height to weight ratio.I suggest you to check your ratio's with any physician . And based on that try to do some exercises at the gym to keep your body healthy. [​IMG]

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Ever have those "against all odds"-workouts, where by every conceivable measure, you should totally blow in the gym but you end up ripping the place up instead?

Let me elaborate a bit: I've had less then 3 hrs of sleep in the last 24 hrs, haven't been eating or drinking enough fluids, stress on the job and on top of that some personal issues.

Did chest and legs today, probably the single greatest workout I've had this year, based on perceived effort, technique and the overall mood. Everything just came together, form was spot on for every rep, strength was up etc.

Definitely saved my shitty wk, that's all I can say. Just wanted to share this with ya.

12. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

^ Yep, love days like those! In a similar vein are days where work schedule or something else gets in the way and you concede that you will have to miss a workout but then manage to carve out 30 or 40 minutes anyway and then go in the gym and kick ass.

13. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Ever have those "against all odds"-workouts, where by every conceivable measure, you should totally blow in the gym but you end up ripping the place up instead?

Absolutely! had one yesterday. Got 3 hours sleep, had cut my hand up when i slid in the mud and fell on my keys.

my first 3 sets of deadlifts hurt my hand and didn't feel that good, so i got real pissed off that it wasn't going well.

the next to sets i set a PR. stoked.

14. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Two gym rants from this morning:

1. Guy doing pullups where he would only come down halfway until his forearms made a 90 degree angle with his upper arms.... on back day. If you are not going to do dead hang and focus on the lats, what's the point? And if hitting biceps was the idea, chinups or commando pullups would be a much better exercise.

2. Gym trainer putting a basketball coach and his (what appeared to be) early high school players through 45 minutes of various bicep curls exercises. And how exactly is this going to help them on the court? [​IMG]

15. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I might be the only guy who doesn't fiercely eyeball every other dude in the gym. I just don't give a damn. Too busy stalking the hardbodies.

16. fuji

fuji Senior member

Is there any difference between doing press ups on your palm or on your fist? I've been doing them on my fist and they're much harder.

17. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

doing 50 sets per bodypart, training 6-7 days a week and growing, shedding fat.

18. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Is there any difference between doing press ups on your palm or on your fist? I've been doing them on my fist and they're much harder.

Just variations that are good. Fists are harder. Fingertips are harder. Fighters use these variations to increase hand strength.

19. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Just variations that are good. Fists are harder. Fingertips are harder. Fighters use these variations to increase hand strength.

Fists are only harder because of fist strength and slightly increased ROM. I use them when my wrist is acting up.

20. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Two gym rants from this morning:

1. Guy doing pullups where he would only come down halfway until his forearms made a 90 degree angle with his upper arms.... on back day. If you are not going to do dead hang and focus on the lats, what's the point? And if hitting biceps was the idea, chinups or commando pullups would be a much better exercise.

Yeah but you can like do way more reps this way broseph.