Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

Does anyone else think 2 hours is about average for the time they spend in the gym? I need ATLEAST an hour and a half, but even then I'm pushing it. I spend a good 20 -25 minutes warming up and foam rolling, and then onto my main lifts then assistance exercises, then some stretching and more foam rolling.
    5 minutes easy cardio 10 minutes day-specific warmups - rotator cuffs on bench day, KB swings, etc "workout" 12-16 sets, 45-60 mins PWO stretch, 5 minutes Ranges from 60-90 minutes, tops. To be fair, I don't use my foam roller nearly as much as I should, but that being said I've always followed the idea of spending no more than a generous hour in the gym. I don't have the articles handy, but I think there's been a lot said re: the physiological advantages, ie. test levels dropping after ~1 hour not to mention my own personal focus starts to wane after awhile. I could be full of shit on the physiological advantages though, could be some bro-science that's stuck with me but I always find I start to suck if I've been in there for awhile. Whatever floats your boat, though. My main goal is progressing to greater weight so slugging out mad volume over 2 hours would be pretty counter-productive for me.

2. theom-

theom- Senior member

5 minutes easy cardio
    10 minutes day-specific warmups - rotator cuffs on bench day, KB swings, etc
    "workout" 12-16 sets, 45-60 mins
    PWO stretch, 5 minutes

Ranges from 60-90 minutes, tops. To be fair, I don't use my foam roller nearly as much as I should, but that being said I've always followed the idea of spending no more than a generous hour in the gym. I don't have the articles handy, but I think there's been a lot said re: the physiological advantages, ie. test levels dropping after ~1 hour not to mention my own personal focus starts to wane after awhile. I could be full of shit on the physiological advantages though, could be some bro-science that's stuck with me but I always find I start to suck if I've been in there for awhile.

Whatever floats your boat, though. My main goal is progressing to greater weight so slugging out mad volume over 2 hours would be pretty counter-productive for me.

Here's the breakdown and tell me if you think its too much.

5 min rowing warm up
    5 min foam rolling
    10 min dynamic warm ups
    Warm up weight on main lifts 8 sets
    main lifts (basically stronglifts) 16 sets usually a few minutes between sets, no more than 5 mins
    assitance stuff 10 sets (pull ups, chins, dips, adductor and abductor work, rotator cuff work, sometimes SLDL and goodmornings, barbell glute bridges, glute-ham raises, snatches)
    5 min stretching
    5 min foam rolling

I guess it looks like a lot when I type it out, but most of my warm up weight stuff is done in between sets of the previous lift.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

An extra 10 minutes for foam rolling, more warmup sets, 10 more work sets and more time between sets. Depends on how hard you're going with those 10 sets of assistance work, but if it works for you then go for it.

When I did stronglifts I was usually fucked and useless from the squats and whatever pressing movement I did that day, but if you can roll with that extra work and still progress then all the more power to you.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

How is this not ~8 sets of work? It doesn't sound like it should take more than an hour, unless your warmup/warmdown goes long. Also, what kind of workout focuses on just the tris and quads? I assume this is part of a split?
    Tri-set = three sets in a row Quad set = 4 sets in a row
    Does anyone else think 2 hours is about average for the time they spend in the gym? I need ATLEAST an hour and a half, but even then I'm pushing it. I spend a good 20 -25 minutes warming up and foam rolling, and then onto my main lifts then assistance exercises, then some stretching and more foam rolling.
    For me, if I include warmup time, stretching, etc., then yes it is. The problem I'm having is that the gym equipment management timing is pushing me over that.
    I can do just about everything i need to generally in under 45 min. Well under an hour. Some days I'm out in under 30 mins. What in the hell takes 2 hours? If i warmed up for 20 min and took a 3 min break in between each set and did a 20 min cool down It would still be difficult to hit the 2hr mark
    You definitely do not do nearly as much work as I do then. I couldn't even do my warmup and mini-stretch in 30 minutes.
    PWO stretch, 5 minutes
    What is this?
    Here's the breakdown and tell me if you think its too much. 5 min rowing warm up 5 min foam rolling 10 min dynamic warm ups Warm up weight on main lifts 8 sets main lifts (basically stronglifts) 16 sets usually a few minutes between sets, no more than 5 mins assitance stuff 10 sets (pull ups, chins, dips, adductor and abductor work, rotator cuff work, sometimes SLDL and goodmornings, barbell glute bridges, glute-ham raises, snatches) 5 min stretching 5 min foam rolling I guess it looks like a lot when I type it out, but most of my warm up weight stuff is done in between sets of the previous lift.
    This looks about right to me.

5. theom-

theom- Senior member

An extra 10 minutes for foam rolling, more warmup sets, 10 more work sets and more time between sets. Depends on how hard you're going with those 10 sets of assistance work, but if it works for you then go for it.

When I did stronglifts I was usually fucked and useless from the squats and whatever pressing movement I did that day, but if you can roll with that extra work and still progress then all the more power to you.

It seems like I've been doing alright, all of the assistance stuff i just working out muscle imbalances and stuff, but I go pretty hard on the weighted chins, dips and pull ups.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

Ok guys, I need a bit of advice on gym time management. Its been ages since I've been going to a gym and my normal circuit style training has run up against the inevitable wall of being unable to get to all the equipment that I need at one time. I've broken down my work into tri and quad sets but I'm still logging damn near 2 hours by the time I get everything done. Any tips/tricks for maneuvering the gym environment?

2 hours isn't that bad, I don't think you really need to cut down unless you can't handle the time commitment, like you said if your doing more then 12 sets an hour its not like your just waiting around.

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I have got away w/o stretching for quite some time now, that is the big time saver for me

Though on press days I do spend an extra 10 minutes getting blood to the rotator cuffs. But even still w/4 actual lifts I am out within the hour

-----------------------------------

Question prob gets asked all the time but I wanna know... what do you guys think... is ab work worth it? Be it for core stability or low body fat aesthetics, w/e. And what are actual effective lifts? I am seriously considering some kind of fully hanging situps as I haven't found ANYTHING effective.

8. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

9. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Abs should get worked hard with the main lifts but I do believe hanging leg raises or heavy sit ups are solid exercises. No need to do the 100 reps whatever abs shit TV seems to publicize. But if it's only for aesthetics, it's really just diet and genetics.

10. theom-

theom- Senior member

Just learned about yoke walks for core training. If you have the equipment and space (ie crossfit gym) I've heard they are excellent. Otherwise, front squats, bridges, and turkish getups.

11. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

hah hah

http://swole.me/

Thanks!

12. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Took 4 days off. Benched 315 for 4 and decline benched 335 for 5 today. I am going to take more days off now to recover. Used to go to the gym 6 days a week.

13. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

hah hah

http://swole.me/

I like.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Question prob gets asked all the time but I wanna know... what do you guys think... is ab work worth it? Be it for core stability or low body fat aesthetics, w/e. And what are actual effective lifts? I am seriously considering some kind of fully hanging situps as I haven't found ANYTHING effective.

I'd say... yes. [​IMG]

Something like ab wheel rollouts, planks, renegade rows and ultimately dragon flags are useful imo.

15. stylenooob

stylenooob Well-Known Member

I must be doing it wrong. Especially with it so hot outside, before I start lifting I do 5-10 min warmup, most of which is biking/jogging to the gym. Get the gym, do 1-3 minutes of warmup, start warming up for the big lift of the day -- either squat or deadlift. That's it.