Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Take my advice with a grain of salt but I wouldn't see a problem as long as it does not slow down your progress of the next day main lift. Obviously, using assisting exercises complimentary of the big lift would be the best approach as your goal with 5/3/1 is to get stronger on those 4 lifts.

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

Fuck barbell rollouts, I could barely manage 3x5 done down to full extension from my knees.

3. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

For Wendler's 5/3/1, can you do any assistance exercises on any day, or should the assistance exercises be related to that day's core lift?

Most of his training examples have assistance that is related to the core lift, but you can get away with unrelated exercises. I use 531 for legs, but I have gravitated away from brutalizing legs with 5x10 rep sets, which opens up some assistance workspace.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ok guys, I need a bit of advice on gym time management. Its been ages since I've been going to a gym and my normal circuit style training has run up against the inevitable wall of being unable to get to all the equipment that I need at one time. I've broken down my work into tri and quad sets but I'm still logging damn near 2 hours by the time I get everything done. Any tips/tricks for maneuvering the gym environment?

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

2 hours in the gym? That's nuts... what do you do? I'm assuming your main goal is conditioning

6. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

Fuck barbell rollouts, I could barely manage 3x5 done down to full extension from my knees.
    I assume they're the same as ab wheel rollouts? In prep for doing dragon flags I'm up to 3 x 15 with the feet up, which is supposed to be more difficult. Shit is no fun - especially when you go too fast and derp your forehead into the ground [​IMG] . I'm going to try standing rollouts next time.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

I assume they're the same as ab wheel rollouts? In prep for doing dragon flags I'm up to 3 x 15 with the feet up, which is supposed to be more difficult. Shit is no fun - especially when you go too fast and derp your forehead into the ground [​IMG] . I'm going to try standing rollouts next time.

Yeah man, same ish. I put 25's on the bar and go from there - I know its recommended to use 2.5s for maximum depth but my collars are too wide so the bar won't roll. lol @ faceplanting into the ground, I was overconfident and went for standing right away and that damn near happened. My issue is that I feel a lot of tension on the inside of my elbows; I feel like all of the pressure gets placed on that joint when I go deep.

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Ok guys, I need a bit of advice on gym time management. Its been ages since I've been going to a gym and my normal circuit style training has run up against the inevitable wall of being unable to get to all the equipment that I need at one time. I've broken down my work into tri and quad sets but I'm still logging damn near 2 hours by the time I get everything done. Any tips/tricks for maneuvering the gym environment?
    Time to consider a new workout What exactly are you hitting in your circuit How long of rests are you taking etc It takes me about an hour to get through 9-12 sets

9. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

lol @ faceplanting into the ground, I was overconfident and went for standing right away and that damn near happened. My issue is that I feel a lot of tension on the inside of my elbows; I feel like all of the pressure gets placed on that joint when I go deep.
    haha I knew I couldn't do standing but I wnated to see just how close I was right when I got the wheel and it was almost disastrous. Definitely a full collapse to the ground.

Re: tension - since it's so full-body, there are a lot of ways you can shift your weight in a small amount that will alter how the feel the exercise. All I could think of to ease that elbow tension is to try to activate the whole body from waist up, try altering your arm bend (closer to straight rather than bent or vice versa), and shifting your weight up to your shoulders.

10. Stu

Stu Senior member

Just had a 4-month evaluation with a nurse:

only dropped about 8 pounds, but gained nearly an inch on my things, gained .55 of an inch on each bicep, blood pressure went from moderately high to 100/70, body fat % went from 34% to 22% and lost 3.5 inches off my waist. Needless to say, pretty stoked.

11. APK

APK Senior member

The top to my shaker bottle, which had some water in it, popped off after I put it into my gym bag after Friday's workout. I didn't discover that until this afternoon's workout; the smell of wet clothes left to fester in a hot car for 72 hours. [​IMG]

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

2 hours in the gym? That's nuts... what do you do? I'm assuming your main goal is conditioning
    Eh, not necessarily. Frankly, I don't really know what "conditioning" qualifies as anyway.
    Time to consider a new workout What exactly are you hitting in your circuit How long of rests are you taking etc It takes me about an hour to get through 9-12 sets
    Shit, I'm doing WAY more than 12 sets in an hour. Lets see, today I did 12min eliptical warmup, about 15 minutes stretching including shoulder warmup, then I did 2x tri-sets of two sets each and one quad-set of 2 sets. Plus 2 sets of farmers walks. Technically, all told that would be 22 sets. Then I stretched for about 20 minutes since my legs are still fucking sore. And this didn't even include my rehab/stability work which I need to start throwing in at the end of my workout.

13. stylenooob

stylenooob Well-Known Member

Ok Shit, I'm doing WAY more than 12 sets in an hour. Lets see, today I did 12min eliptical warmup, about 15 minutes stretching including shoulder warmup, then I did 2x tri-sets of two sets each and one quad-set of 2 sets. Plus 2 sets of farmers walks. Technically, all told that would be 22 sets. Then I stretched for about 20 minutes since my legs are still fucking sore. And this didn't even include my rehab/stability work which I need to start throwing in at the end of my workout.

How is this not ~8 sets of work? It doesn't sound like it should take more than an hour, unless your warmup/warmdown goes long.

Also, what kind of workout focuses on just the tris and quads? I assume this is part of a split?

Just had a 4-month evaluation with a nurse:

only dropped about 8 pounds, but gained nearly an inch on my things, gained .55 of an inch on each bicep, blood pressure went from moderately high to 100/70, body fat % went from 34% to 22% and lost 3.5 inches off my waist. Needless to say, pretty stoked.

Nice! That's a lot of progress in 4 months.

14. theom-

theom- Senior member

Does anyone else think 2 hours is about average for the time they spend in the gym? I need ATLEAST an hour and a half, but even then I'm pushing it. I spend a good 20 -25 minutes warming up and foam rolling, and then onto my main lifts then assistance exercises, then some stretching and more foam rolling.

15. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I can do just about everything i need to generally in under 45 min. Well under an hour. Some days I'm out in under 30 mins. What in the hell takes 2 hours? If i warmed up for 20 min and took a 3 min break in between each set and did a 20 min cool down It would still be difficult to hit the 2hr mark

Love seeing my workout results on the golf course. Can hit the ball so much further and with more control now that I'm almost as strong as I used to be.