Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Please, for the love of God, put them to good use. I'm so tired of seeing people with expensive workout equipment who have no idea how or why it's beneficial to them.

Don't worry, I'm looking into the local oly clubs if I could find one that's reasonably close.

2. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Got my True Protein in the mail. Got the basic flavours, it mixes well and doesn't taste like anything much [​IMG]

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^nice. love true protein, but shipping costs are a little killer.

my right shoulder area hurts. anyone know what to do? it's the area to the right and above my right pec

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

^nice. love true protein, but shipping costs are a little killer.

my right shoulder area hurts. anyone know what to do? it's the area to the right and above my right pec

you get boned on the shipping costs, but being a canuck i've never been hit with a customs fee, which is pretty nice.

check out the trigger point therapy workbook, its helped me for random aches and pains ive gotten.

5. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

you get boned on the shipping costs, but being a canuck i've never been hit with a customs fee, which is pretty nice.

check out the trigger point therapy workbook, its helped me for random aches and pains ive gotten.

Actually it was cheaper for 10 lbs than costco, in Canada though. 5 whey + 5 milk protien was cheaper than 10 lbs costco whey (after correcting for the fact that TP is higher w% protein)

6. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

I was randomly thinking about these this morning. I've never really tried but when I've seen people doing them in the gym, they just hold on to the bar with one hand, then grip that wrist with the other hand. I realised that this is totally cheating, because they're still using their whole back, and both biceps, it's just that all the force goes through one wrist at the top. Maybe that's obvious and I didn't need to post this.
    That's not a one-handed chin. That's a two-handed chin with stupid grip.
    actually i was thinking about training with hand on wrist and slowly moving it down or otherwise gripping the side of the frame with one hand and slowly moving that down.
    That's one part of it, but from experience, you really need to work on the eccentric part of the movement. Stuff like dead hangs (as rjmaiorano suggested). Start off unweighted and just hold the movement, then add weight progressively. You can also work on holding the one-arm chin in mid-movement i.e. with your arm at a 90 degree angle, as well as slow rep negatives. For training the concentric part, you can use the frame to stabilize and move the hand down like you said. There's lots more information here that will probably help: http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/tutorials/51

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^what he mentioned is clearly not a one arm chin up. however it is an assisted one arm chin up and a legit progression for getting one arm chin ups

while I have a lot of respect for Jim (I've read all his tutorials and his site is the one that got me started on these skills) I think the progressions presented in the article arent that effective.

I like the convict conditioning (which I believe Jim co-wrote) progressions better.

this guy's is also fantastic

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I just don't think negatives are the best choice for training. It's hard to tell how far one has progressed because while you can count seconds you can't determine angles as well as you can tell full reps.

it sounds like you can do a full one arm chinup?

did you find that deadhangs actually helped? I did dead hangs (unweighted) for two weeks before I got into skin the cats to train for back levers. They were surprisingly hard at first.

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Jesus Christ, 6 minutes in this guy is still on the couch, I don't have the sound on, what the fuck could he be talking about Not to mention, got a lotta body English in that chinup, I don't know guys I almost feel like we are just not made to legitimately do 1 arm chin ups. Your stabilizer muscles would have to be fucking insane to mitigate the torque around your shoulder etc. ------------------------------------ Forgot to have a post workout shake last night.... I think my diet is actually finally beginning to take its toll for real. See what happens though

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^i thought the same thing too, until i actually sat down and listened to him talk
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

this is hte short version

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Finally got back into the gym today. Damn it felt good. Although, I think I that if I had to sit there and watch these people do any more exercises incorrectly I was going to scream. It took a lot of energy not to want to go up to these people and try to help. I suppose I'll get desensitized to it eventually.

Did squats, deads, and bent leg deads. Extremely low weight (bar +5, 10, etc) so I felt like a weeny, but who cares, I'm on the road back and that's all that matters.

Anybody have a cheap video camera they want to unload? I don't want to bring my Canon S95 into the gym and I need to get something to record my movements so I don't fuck up my neck trying to look at myself in the mirror.

11. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Pulled 300 for 5 reps today (DL), feels good [​IMG]

On another note, SPBR by IA is such an awesome routine if you stick to it.

12. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

I've got this pain when i bend forward which is kind of in the back of my hip. Somewhere between the glute and the hip i guess. It's only started since ive been lifting heavy so i can only assume its related to deadlifts. Its only on the left side and has been there for ages now, only when i bend forward/down. Its quite uncomfortable really, has anyone else experienced something like this from DL's?

13. virus646

virus646 Senior member

I've got this pain when i bend forward which is kind of in the back of my hip. Somewhere between the glute and the hip i guess. It's only started since ive been lifting heavy so i can only assume its related to deadlifts. Its only on the left side and has been there for ages now, only when i bend forward/down. Its quite uncomfortable really, has anyone else experienced something like this from DL's?

Yes, I used to when my form sucked. Are you sure it's not related?

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Finally got back into the gym today. Damn it felt good. Although, I think I that if I had to sit there and watch these people do any more exercises incorrectly I was going to scream. It took a lot of energy not to want to go up to these people and try to help. I suppose I'll get desensitized to it eventually. Did squats, deads, and bent leg deads. Extremely low weight (bar +5, 10, etc) so I felt like a weeny, but who cares, I'm on the road back and that's all that matters. Anybody have a cheap video camera they want to unload? I don't want to bring my Canon S95 into the gym and I need to get something to record my movements so I don't fuck up my neck trying to look at myself in the mirror.
    No video cam on the phone? My phone camera sucks but I am gonna give it a try one of these days. And yea, that feeling of wanting to either Hulksmash (TM) or aid people wasting their time only gets worse, especially if you're at a gym long enough to see people make no progress.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Sounds like lower back pain to me... which is something you really should not have if your technique is correct. I'm still going with lack of hamstring strength which is probably making you stiff-leg the weight up.