Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Can Anyone help me address an issue im having with my low-bar squat?

It seems that once I get past a particular weight, I start experiencing pain in my wrists from them bending backwards causing the rest of my form to drop off also. I'm thinking it might just be a flexibility issue.

Anyone care to lend a hand and help member through this?

Thanks

wrist wraps. I don't squat without them.

and learn to take a wider grip on the bar and not to push up on the bar at all by put your pinkies UNDER the bar.

2. hastur

hastur Senior member

be careful with a wider grip, if your rack is narrow and you fail a squat there is a chance you could pin your hands/fingers in between the bar and rack safeties

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

You know you're old when...

... you can't beat a 14 year old at a game of basketball

That little fucker had my sneakers squealing in agony... if not for my intimidating drive I would have got shut out

That shit is a whole different kind of exercise, I was wiped out after 15 minutes

4. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

For some reason, my right wrist can't fully bend backwards like it used to and also cause pain when I try to bend it back. This prevents me from doing certain things like open palm pushups.

I'm curious if anybody has this issue also.

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm sure anyone here that's been consistently benching and squatting for a while has wrist problems. mine's so bad that I wrap up mine if I'm benching over 185 on the bench and 225 on squats.

not that I ever really do them but open palm pushups kill my wrists too.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i broke my bench PR today in the longest time ever. Like 2, 3 weeks. shoulder kinda hurt after that and some weighted chins.

do any of you practice one handed chinups?

i think i'm going to ditch weighted chinups and go for one handed chinups.

also any tips on doing chins with a false grip on a bar? I can't grip anything and fall off.

7. willpower

willpower Senior member

For some reason, my right wrist can't fully bend backwards like it used to and also cause pain when I try to bend it back. This prevents me from doing certain things like open palm pushups.

I'm curious if anybody has this issue also.

No, but I can feel some discomfort when doing open palm pushups - hence, I use square dumb bells as push up bars. I also saw some foam "shims" that attach to your palms via velcro which are supposed to take the weight off.

8. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

No, but I can feel some discomfort when doing open palm pushups - hence, I use square dumb bells as push up bars. I also saw some foam "shims" that attach to your palms via velcro which are supposed to take the weight off.

Whenever I had wrist problems I used a fist pushup.

9. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

i broke my bench PR today in the longest time ever. Like 2, 3 weeks. shoulder kinda hurt after that and some weighted chins.

do any of you practice one handed chinups?

i think i'm going to ditch weighted chinups and go for one handed chinups.

also any tips on doing chins with a false grip on a bar? I can't grip anything and fall off.

How much weight do you do your weighted chins with? One armed chins/pulls are an entirely different animal to weighted chins.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

my latest was

4x40#
    5x25#
    6x10#

on top of bodyweight. i weigh 165

it's a different beast, but works the same muscles, no?

i think i'm going to do progressions like assisted one armed pulls and what not.

more functional, more badass

if i ever get in a bar fight i will be peaceful and compassionate and show the asshole how alpha i am by doing an assisted one arm pull up and then he'll shut up

i also bought a bar and rings. going to practice levers and muscleups

lately i've been feeling pumped up with testosterone. i might pull a fuji

11. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Can Anyone help me address an issue im having with my low-bar squat?

It seems that once I get past a particular weight, I start experiencing pain in my wrists from them bending backwards causing the rest of my form to drop off also. I'm thinking it might just be a flexibility issue.

Anyone care to lend a hand and help member through this?

Your wrists shouldn't be bending backwards. They should be straight. The bar should be resting on your scapular spine You shouldn't be using your hands to support the bar.

Check out this vid of Rippetoe squatting. His hands aren't even gripping the bar. They're sort of draped over it.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

12. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

my latest was 4x40# 5x25# 6x10# on top of bodyweight. i weigh 165 it's a different beast, but works the same muscles, no? i think i'm going to do progressions like assisted one armed pulls and what not. more functional, more badass if i ever get in a bar fight i will be peaceful and compassionate and show the asshole how alpha i am by doing an assisted one arm pull up and then he'll shut up i also bought a bar and rings. going to practice levers and muscleups lately i've been feeling pumped up with testosterone. i might pull a fuji
    Good call on muscle up and levers... also try planches for some solid core. and LOCK your arms on levers. Both weighted chins and one-armed chins work essentially the same muscles but getting your arm out of full extension in a one-armed chin is reallly tough...and the rest of the pull you'll find yourself rotating inward and towards the body. I used to do 5x5 with 45lbs weighted (on top of 165lb body weight) and I could never accomplish a true one-armed chin. You will benefit a great deal from one-armed dead hangs as you transition to working one-armed pulls. Dead hangs will improve your grip and loading ability. But my greatest help was to pull up to a chin/pull, and release one arm at the top and hold for as long as possible.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Man that's a lot of work. I'll just pronounce myself fit JEEZ.

[​IMG]

As for the cardio issue discussed earlier, the best thing to do (as suggested by CtK) is to pick something you like and do that. Be it b-ball or jogging, soccer or whatever - that way a cardio session won't feel like a root canal without anesthetic. I've always liked to run and although I'm really not a spectacular runner it's still good fun, it's good LISS and living where I do it is quite paramount to actually enjoy the summer weather as long as it lasts.

Obviously whatever cardio one does should not hamper ones recovery too much - something like training full-on MMA while pushing for PRs in the weight room might be a recipe for disaster, especially when combined with too small a caloric intake.

14. Paullius

Paullius New Member

I am also a real health conscious about my health and want to get some tips to maintain my daily exercise routine.

15. willpower

willpower Senior member