Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Calories.
    Come on, Krish. You are a fish, not a parakeet!

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Why? How do you know it wouldn't?
    Because w/o some quantitative analysis, people grossly underestimate what they eat. Admittedly though, my gf does not count calories and has weighed the same for the past ~4 years... but her diet is consistent. Someone gaining weight prob doesn't have that luxury.
    But is it the adjustment in total calories or the types of food you eat that helps you to maintain your weight?
    I've been eating the same kinds of foods for about a year now; in order to diet within the parameters I set (at least 1g/lb body weight of protein every day, ~500cal/day deficit) I had no choice but to go "low" (~100-200g/day) carb. So in my experience, calories.
    Yeah. Totally agree. And that's ironic. I ate over 2 dozen oysters yesterday. No clue how many calories that was. And the point is, I honestly don't care.
    Gaining and losing weight takes time... which is why I absolutely loathe those people who sell "weekend diet kits" and really feel bad for people who buy them. Love me some oysters though, wish I could live on the water.
    I think it's probably more about the macros than the total daily caloric intake. What do you think plays a larger part? Calories or macronutrient composition?
    It's a mix. High protein foods are simply just not possible to eat at the same rate as high carb foods due to their lower calorie density & physiological effects on the body (all that insulin response shit). So macros matter, to the degree that it would be hard as hell to only eat ~1500kcal a day in carbs vs protein. But for a regular person who doesn't care about retaining lean mass, given a typical diet I don't think the macros make a huge difference compared to amount. But it would behoove them to go high protein as it's just easier mentally. This prob tears everything I just said to shit, but in Ghana there are fishermen who obv eat a ton of fish & do a lot of rowing... even well into their 60s they are all incredibly lean. So that might be a case for a super high protein/low carb diet... but of course combined w/serious heavy physical activity.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

well clearly calorie counting itself doesnt help to lose weight but it helps with accuracy. before your diet even begins to fail if you count calories you'll know what you're doing wrong, but more importantly by how much.

if you dont need to then good for you but the vast majority of people undercount their calories and then wonder why their diet isnt working.

when i did maintenance diets all i made sure was to eat 1.2 to 1.5g/lb protein and the rest i kinda winged.

4. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Because w/o some quantitative analysis, people grossly underestimate what they eat. Admittedly though, my gf does not count calories and has weighed the same for the past ~4 years... but her diet is consistent. Someone gaining weight prob doesn't have that luxury.
    OK. But is it about underestimating how much you eat, or is it perhaps about what you eat that is the more salient factor here?
    But is the reason that you've been able to maintain your body weight the fact that you consciously make a 500 calorie deficit? Or, perhaps that you are, in fact, eating a relatively low carbohydrate diet? And how do you know which one is playing a larger role in your continued success?
    Well, I don't loathe them. I just feel bad for them.
    Oysters are supposedly great for increasing sexual prowess. They haven't seemed to have that effect on me, as of late.
    Which is one of the reasons why low carbohydrate diets work.
    I think it may have more to do with what you described previously about the effect of insulin and the occurring satiety of a high protein diet.
    I don't think a super high protein diet is sustainable, though (rabbit starvation). What else are they supplementing their diet with except just fish? From what I've seen, those living in tropic climates who consume high amounts of fish also get a bit of fat from such sources like coconuts and nuts. You can only go so long without fat in your diet.

5. APK

APK Senior member

Oh my god, shut up.

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Oh my god, shut up.
    Yea we have definitely been here before.

7. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Oh my god, shut up.
    Now, are you asking me to shut up simply because you don't have the open-mindedness to read and consider what I have written as valid, or because you don't agree with something I've specifically stated? From the brevity of your post, its seems like it is more the former, than the latter. For what it's worth, I really wish that wasn't the case. And I really wish you could either argue one of my points, or actually have the will to understand and, possibly, accept some of my arguments as valid (which, by the way, they are). Otherwise, I wouldn't be opening my mouth. This isn't about me being right and anyone else being wrong. I don't care about that. What I care about is the truth.

8. APK

APK Senior member

There's discussion and then there's talking in circles, the latter which houses a lot of your posts in the Health forum.

9. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

There's discussion and then there's talking in circles, the latter which houses a lot of your posts in the Health forum.
    I think you choose to believe I talk in circles. I think it's a figment of your imagination. I believe you simply don't want to accept or consider any other argument that runs counter to your preconceived beliefs on the matter (well, this doesn't just pertain specifically to you, but most of the Health forum [and America] as a whole). Again, I really wish this wasn't the case. I really wish you could open your mind a bit. I'm not saying agree with me; I'm saying at least have the respect to at least consider my argument before arbitrarily dismissing it. However, if you are willing to point out exactly how, or where, I am somehow being circuitous in my reasoning, I would be more than happy to address it, and try to avoid doing so in the future.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

we've already heard your basic arguments several times. trying to force it doesnt change anybody's mind.

we ask evidence from you and we either get papers from the 30s, 80s, or papers that are irrelevant to the discussion.

this most certainly pertains to you.

it's like you've been brainwashed by gary taubes.

11. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

we've already heard your basic arguments several times. trying to force it doesnt change anybody's mind.
    I'm not trying to force my argument; I have no agenda other than trying to make people think a bit differently than what you've grown to believe from the conventional wisdom you've been taught, which is forced.
    I am open to hearing what other people have to say. Try finding a post I've made where I've told someone to "shut up" because they might not think the same way I do on a certain matter. I am completely open to discussion.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I'm not trying to force my argument;
    these two statements contradict. you're trying to force us to accept your arguments by doggedly pursuing people when they're not willing and telling them to argue one of your arguments or else implicitly shut up.
    you're honestly one of the least open minded people on this forum. it's like no matter what ppl say you're dead set on your own ways. saying shut up isnt the only way to be closed to discussion. also you might be open to discussion or open to hearing but this is different from being open minded. look we've already heard everything you've had to say. calories dont matter. insulin makes you fat. sugar makes you fat. fructose is the same as alcohol. low carb diets are fabulous. i'm 10% body fat and clearly everybody should follow a low carb diet (that last statement is a hyperbole btw. just in case you decide to say "OMG I definitely did not say everybody should follow a low carb diet") stop picking arguments. your schtick is getting a little tiring.

13. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

That's all in your head, bro. Sorry.

14. phreak

phreak Senior member

Shoulder is somewhat better. Rotator cuff warm ups definitely helped

Nice! I've been doing those warm-ups every day and my shoulder is definitely feeling better already. Tomorrow I'm gonna be super prudent with my presses though

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member