• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* hook grip, killing my thumbs yo.

stever

Reaction score
Originally Posted by + theom
I'm thinking about doing some widowmaker squats on monday. How should I gauge what weight to use? I'm thinking any where from 50% to 60% of my max?

fitocracy-inspired?

60% is a good ballpark for high volume stuff (20 rep sets, german vol training etc)

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
******* hook grip, killing my thumbs yo.

Its ****, I'm guessing your using it for oly lifts? I've just stuck to a standard over hand grip.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Its ****, I'm guessing your using it for oly lifts? I've just stuck to a standard over hand grip.

Yes I am and no it most definitely is not ****. It's actually the preferred grip to do cleans and snatches. I was just commenting on the fact that on occasion it does wreak havoc with my digits. When one starts cleaning heavy stuff (and not like 150 lbs heavy), the grip needs to be solid enough to accommodate the 'snap' that comes with the second pull. And since I do intend to someday learn the full squat clean and maybe the snatch as well, where the hook grip is mandatory I find it's best to do it all the time.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By **** I mean its painful and uncomftorable, I know its the preferred grip.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i start off with the hook grip and then during later sets i get too tired and use a standard grip.

i feel like i can lift more with a hook grip, but it's just so darn uncomfortable after awhile. the capillaries in my thumb feel like they're going to burst

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't know about that paleo stuff man. Is there any documented proof of it being better for you than a diet of normal food... in moderation

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's basically just a new name for a low carb diet with silly restrictions

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now here's the real question, was AB trolling with that threak?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulder pain is not going away, but I'm scared to take time off in a cut
frown.gif

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
I just don't know about that paleo stuff man. Is there any documented proof of it being better for you than a diet of normal food... in moderation

I've decided to try it for a number of simple reasons. I don't tremendously buy into paleo ideas, I just think they are interesting.

The thing is, the fiance likes to go vegan occasionally (from vegetarian) and is thinking about going again June 1st. So that involves dropping milk and eggs. She has added gluten free to the mix. Paleo is dairy and gluten free, so our diets would synch in that regards. I have also been creeping towards lactose free in an attempt to clear my mild but permanent acne (I'm in my 30's).

I am almost paleo anyway. In fact, I am p.sure oats are gluten free (or very close), so I'm already gluten free. I am almost diary free. But I eat whey and cheese, so I'll drop that.

The past 6 months have generally shown me that my diet largely doesn't seen to affect my results - all that matters are total calories, so I'm willing to experiment. What I will miss from my current diet is the ease of throwing back 600 cal of carbs in 5 minutes from an oatmeal slurry or ravioli.

I am going to ignore restrictions on the amount of fruit I eat to compensate. It seems fckn stupid to me for a "paleo" diet to say "o but not so much fruit or apples no bananas!" If I lived in the tropics I would be crawin those fckn trees and eating bananas all day long.

I have some minor concerns about the amount of fructose I'll be consuming, but it seems silly to think bananas are worse for me than frozen ravioli, you know?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Shoulder pain is not going away, but I'm scared to take time off in a cut
frown.gif

Take a week off pressing. I know it feels like you're going to take a million steps back but it'll give the joint some time to get itself together.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I've decided to try it for a number of simple reasons. I don't tremendously buy into paleo ideas, I just think they are interesting.
Then maybe you shouldn't be considering going "paleo"?
The thing is, the fiance likes to go vegan occasionally (from vegetarian) and is thinking about going again June 1st. So that involves dropping milk and eggs. She has added gluten free to the mix. Paleo is dairy and gluten free, so our diets would synch in that regards.
Why is your fiance thinking about going vegan? Is it for ethical/moral reasons? Certainly she isn't doing it for any supposed benefits to her health?
I have also been creeping towards lactose free in an attempt to clear my mild but permanent acne (I'm in my 30's).
How do you know that lactose, or dairy in general, is causing your acne?
I am almost paleo anyway. In fact, I am p.sure oats are gluten free (or very close), so I'm already gluten free. I am almost diary free. But I eat whey and cheese, so I'll drop that.
Oats are gluten free, naturally. However, the stuff you buy at the supermarket is not. When being transported, the trucks that most oats are shipped on are the same trucks that transport wheat and flour products, thus the oats are contaminated in the process. If you want real, gluten-free oats, you'll have to find a brand that explicitly states on the package that their oats are "GLUTEN FREE". Bob's Red Mill is one brand I know of.
The past 6 months have generally shown me that my diet largely doesn't seen to affect my results - all that matters are total calories, so I'm willing to experiment. What I will miss from my current diet is the ease of throwing back 600 cal of carbs in 5 minutes from an oatmeal slurry or ravioli.
If your diet doesn't seem to affect your results, why are you considering eating "paleo"? And I think your statement about calories is just completely false.
I am going to ignore restrictions on the amount of fruit I eat to compensate. It seems fckn stupid to me for a "paleo" diet to say "o but not so much fruit or apples no bananas!" If I lived in the tropics I would be crawin those fckn trees and eating bananas all day long. I have some minor concerns about the amount of fructose I'll be consuming, but it seems silly to think bananas are worse for me than frozen ravioli, you know?
No one is comparing bananas to frozen ravioli; the comparison was bananas to blueberries, and there is a very valid and very scientific reason to make the distinction between the two. If you really don't understand why such a distinction needs to be made, then you obviously have much more research and consideration to be done before you embark on any sort of diet or lifestyle change. And if you lived in the tropics, you would not be eating "bananas all day long". You'd be eating mostly fish, coconuts, and insects.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not this again the man can eat what he wants to and call it what he wants to. he's experimenting to see if paleo works better for him. i dont see whats so wrong about that. you've never ever ever answered this objection even though it's been brought up many times
Originally Posted by Gibonius
The body is still subject to energy conservation. If you're saying "you cannot gain weight on 5000 calories a day of protein and fat," you need to explain where all those extra calories are going or you've found the one demonstrated exception to a fundamental law of nature. Biology doesn't preempt basic physics.
on a 5000 calorie diet of protein and fat where does the excess calories go? do you **** it out? piss it out? sweat it out (ie heat)? or is there some kind of voodoo going on that defies conservation of energy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads