Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. 1up

1up Senior member

Check your diet.

what does this abbreviation mean '!=' ?

Does not equal?

2. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

embowafa, you excited for your race this weekend?

YES!! I put in one last 2 hr session last night and am going to go for a lighter run tonight...then rest up tomorrow before the big day.

I'm honestly just looking forward to getting it over with. I'm at my wit's end with all this cardio. [​IMG]

Can't wait to lift weights again.

(BTW, I've been running sockless the past week...gonna take your advice on that one...nike frees w/out socks are still awesome.)

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

what does this abbreviation mean '!=' ?

Does not equal?

Yes.

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Splitting up legs and shoulder day allows me to add a whole bunch of assitance i've been wanting to do, incl. front squats. Man holding that bar on your shoulder is awkward as fuck.

5. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

There's a couple different ways to hold the bar- I do it cross-armed, which is pretty comfortable to me.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

how much weight do you push on front squats vs back?

i tried doing front squats and it felt so uncomfortable with even half the weight

7. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Right now I do 225 for 4-6 reps at 3 sets. My back squats are around 350 in the 4-6 range at 3 sets.

Definitely takes some getting use to- finding a comfortable hold is part of that.

8. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I'm still getting the hang of it. I'm back-squatting 5/3/1 off my 1RM of 260 (so like 190-240 for low reps). Today i front squatted 95x10, 105x10, 115x8 (could feel myself failing, but couldn't pinpoint where). I'm doing them snatch-grip, just in case i want to transition into OLY lifting.

EDIT: Lats totally sore. Can't tell if it's from something random today or from punishing my back yesterday by doing 3 sets of pulldowns after 3 sets of chin/pull ups.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

The clean grip is really the best way to rack the bar for front squats. It might feel awkward at first, especially if you have inflexible wrists but it's better on your shoulders. If you do any form of cleans or power cleans, its even better to rack with the clean grip (obviously).

As to the weight I push I have no idea about my 1RM, did a set of 4 w/ 220 yesterday.

Also, one of the best cues for the front squat is to hold your chest high and try to lead with your chest when coming out of the hole. That helps in keeping your back close to vertical, which then helps with keeping the bar over the middle of the foot.

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I have piano hands, I feel like front squats = broken wrists for me.

11. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

YES!! I put in one last 2 hr session last night and am going to go for a lighter run tonight...then rest up tomorrow before the big day.

I'm honestly just looking forward to getting it over with. I'm at my wit's end with all this cardio. [​IMG]

Can't wait to lift weights again.

(BTW, I've been running sockless the past week...gonna take your advice on that one...nike frees w/out socks are still awesome.)

At least you're taking it seriously. Haha. You know you'll love it.

And a week without socks in Frees should be a perfect amount of prep for the race.

I hear you on missing lifting... I've just recently started doing heavy cardio again and I have missed the hell out of it.

Kick some ass and don't die!

12. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

how much weight do you push on front squats vs back?

i tried doing front squats and it felt so uncomfortable with even half the weight

I deep squat about 315 right now.

On the front, 225.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i think i'm going to try it with clean grip tomorrow. much more comfortable with that crossing arms

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Clean grip gets more comfortable with time, your wrists get more flexible, takes a couple weeks and you don't even notice it anymore. My front squat is slightly higher then my back squat because I front squat 3 times a week, but haven't done a back squat in months.

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

There's a couple different ways to hold the bar- I do it cross-armed, which is pretty comfortable to me.

IMO, I would start learning and using actual clean rack position. If you ever need to drop the weight, cross arming it could make this dangerous, not to mention rack position translates a lot better if you ever plan to do some olympic style lifting.