Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Goblet squats. I think they will be the key to wifey getting the squat down.

2. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Love some goblet squats

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

any ideas resources on how to incorporate metcon or hiit and plyometric into one's training?

i played basketball for two hours today and while I feel a lot stronger, I was totally out of shape, and can't jump very high

4. cjl2g

cjl2g Senior member

anyone take testosterone supplements?

if so, what is the effect on physical appearance, etc...
    thanks

5. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

any ideas resources on how to incorporate metcon or hiit and plyometric into one's training?

i played basketball for two hours today and while I feel a lot stronger, I was totally out of shape, and can't jump very high

Do Insanity.

6. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Wasn't sure where else to put this, and even though I'm sure it's been discussed to death on here, my search skills are weak today...

I was thinking of beginning the Starting Strength program starting probably this coming week. For someone who weighs 155 lbs and is 6'5" (read: very little muscle development), are there any other exercises, etc. that I should be doing in addition? Thanks.

EDIT: My main goal at the moment is just generally to "get in shape". I know that's vague, but whatever.

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

^^^ I would say no. Just start with the basic starting strength routine and work up from there. once you get stronger add more stuff in.

Routine critique time.

Most exercises are a 3x8 unless specified.

Day 1:
    barbell flat or inclined bench
    push press or strict press
    flat db bench (if i did inclined barbell)
    slight incline flys
    front and side shoulder raises with dumbells
    abs

Day 2:
    Deadlift 1x10, 2x5, 1x2-3
    One arm row
    pullups
    bent over row or seated rows (seems redundant with one arm rows)
    abs

Day 3:
    Back Squats 1x10, 2x6, 1x3
    leg press (occasionally)
    skull crushers
    barbell curl
    dips
    seated curls with db

As i've posted about before I don't have a very consistent schedule i do those workouts back to back for 6 days straight when I'm home, then manage pushups, abs, and running on the road.

Diet is where I want it to be.

I think i need to add some more volume to my workouts. I never really feel much of a "pump" would adding smaller accessory workouts on top do some good?

What would you add?

I've been seeing strength gains and i'm about as strong as i think i'm gonna get at this weight without ramping up my calories.

8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

IMO feeling the 'pump' is redundant for hypertrophy (even Schwarzenegger admitted that his famous line is mostly bs) - other than that, what are your goals man? Top end strength, explosiveness, size, what?

Given that I'm a brute strength kind of dude myself, I'd obviously take a shitload of stuff out, but somehow I fathom that's not the case here

9. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I used to be all about strength, but I've changed a bit. I still am fairly strong. I'm going more of the looks department now. I'm almost 6'1 180-185, close to single digit body fat. I'd like to have more dense muscles, because frankly I'm not going to nor do I want to put on much mass (i keep my calories anywhere from 1800-2500 a day, not gonna put on any size with that).

And I'm aware the "pump" is just a vanity thing, but I always leave my workouts feeling like i could do more. I go as heavy as I can on every lift too.

I realize i wasn't that clear. I want to get ripped up and have "denser" muscles.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

I think I weigh enough and Im strong enough that I should start cutting weight now.I'm 175lb and like 12-15% BF, but I want to get to single digit, I'm not gonna do any cardio or hiit or anything like that. Im gonne stick to lifting and just drop caloric intake to a third what it is now and lower the amount of carbs I eat and try keep protein at 300g a day. I'm guessing my lifts are gonna drop a lot.

11. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Had a fantastic day in the gym. All the bitching I've been doing finally got me mad enough to move some weight around.

Deadlifted 365 (2x bw) today. Heaviest I've gone in a long time.

and I was able to finish off my last set of one armed rows with 100lb 5 reps. Felt great.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I realize i wasn't that clear. I want to get ripped up and have "denser" muscles.

Right, I get you. I guess if you desire more volume, you could bump the sets and reps up to somewhere in the ballpark of 4-5 sets for 10-12. I wouldn't still recommend that for deads or squats, but for anything else it's worth a try. And, although I will catch some shit for this, you could add some isolation movements too if you feel that'd work well.

But still, I suggest you take this with a huge grain of salt (so to speak) - I'm pretty out of touch with 4 & 5-day splits and bb type of routines. I shrivel up and die if I do high volume.

I'm guessing my lifts are gonna drop a lot.

They shouldn't - stagnate, yes, but if everything tanks shit is going wrong. Especially since you're starting with a fairly low bf.

13. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Pilot, I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want more "dense" muscles. But I think the answer lies in a cut. Something tells me you are not as deep into the single digit BF range (if at all) as you think. Depending on genetics you can have a 6 pack and still be in the (low) doubles. Once you get down to the leanness you want, bulk super slow.

14. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

^^ i agree. I'm probably closer to 11-12%. I've only been single digits when I was riding my bike a couple hundred miles a week.
    Right, I get you. I guess if you desire more volume, you could bump the sets and reps up to somewhere in the ballpark of 4-5 sets for 10-12. I wouldn't still recommend that for deads or squats, but for anything else it's worth a try. And, although I will catch some shit for this, you could add some isolation movements too if you feel that'd work well. But still, I suggest you take this with a huge grain of salt (so to speak) - I'm pretty out of touch with 4 & 5-day splits and bb type of routines. I shrivel up and die if I do high volume.
    Thats probably what i'll do, up my reps maybe move up to 4 sets. try that for a month or two and see if I like the results. Appreciate the advice guys

15. Plasticites

Plasticites Member

I've been a runner since I was a kid, and up until about a month ago I've been balancing a new job that requires me to travel daily, so theres not much time to go for 5 mile runs. One exercise I've been doing lately that has had awesome results is sprinting in place in my hotel room. What I do is lean against the wall, and sprint 100% for 30 seconds with 1.5 minute breaks. I repeat this 10 reps and have actually lost more weight doing this versus running. I admit, its not easy doing this 10 reps while staring at a wall, but the results have been great so far. Just thought I'd throw this out there for people whos work schedules conflict with your real life.