1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I wish I could tell you there's a trick but there isn't. When I started at 120, I stuffed my face with food day in and day out. It got to a point where I was throwing up food in my mouth mid-meals and swallowing it back down with water almost daily. Even now, if I want to eat clean it's a struggle to get through some of my meals occasionally.

I always told myself this in my head when I felt like I couldn't eat anymore - "if I don't eat this then I won't grow and the work I put in the gym was all for nothing"

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Cool guys thanks for the advice.

Something to keep in mind- I'm in a cut, so adding stuff in is not really an option till mid October. And I've been road cycling about 30-50 miles a week which prob doesn't help.

My legs have def got weak since I started cutting ~4 months ago... I remember about 2 months ago being confused by my legs giving out coming off the ground. I guess my body has adapted to take the load off my legs. Squat is down a bit too.

But I will keep all this in mind when I get back in bulk mode. 4 plates should be no problem.

3. MoreFire

MoreFire Senior member

Then why not do Romanian deadlifts and focus more on the lower back?
    Or just reduce weight...
    Dieting or biking is not an excuse for not doing the exercises properly :-\

4. mrchariybrown

Nailed it right on the head.

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I'm just afraid of taking longer to get back up to fighting weight once I'm back on my cut. I was doing 6x385 in April, now I'm only down to 6x365. I guess I will drop the weight to a level my legs can handle, just kinda sucks when I'm able to get more weight off the ground.

6. mrchariybrown

Like you said, you are cutting weight and it only makes sense that you're weaker than if you weren't.

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Thanks for the advice (and the rest of you too)

Next month once I'm off the creatine, I'll likely have to adjust down. But for right now, I'm kicking ass. I did my 3x5 squats last night breaking a new personal record on weight, and I almost did 2 more sets just because I felt like I could. Of course, I didn't though.

I've been doing the whole milk thing as a post workout. That and a hand full of liver tabs.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Gonna switch to low bar squats next week after I finish my 531 cycle. What kind of weight should I use? Same as my front squat? Could my low bar back squat be weaker then my front squat even if I only go to parallel where with my front squat I go ass to grass. I was training with some kid today and I felt like a massive pussy when he put an extra set of 10kg on the bar and back squatted the bar after I front squatted it.

9. theom-

theom- Senior member

That's sad if he's only back squatting 10kg more than you front squat.
    Usually a person can front squat 65-75% of their back squat.

I would start light with the low bar, just to get a feel of it. If you've been doing a lot of front squatting, your back squat will tend to be weaker.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

I was under the impression you'd be able to lift far more lowbar vs. front b/c of the stress taken off your quads.

11. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Found out today that the (third!) new gym to open in my town this year has squat racks, power racks, proper bench presses, etc. It's a fitness oriented gym, but has no pool/sauna etc so they are pre sellign memberships at £12 per month with no contract! So thats a 4 quid a month saving on my current gym but with all the equipment i need + car parking. Could be really busy though at that price. Hopefully nobody else will squat or deadlift, and the only battle will be trying to get on a bench.

12. theom-

theom- Senior member

This is generally true, but front squatting doesn't do a whole lot to improve your back squat. So if you haven't been doing much back squatting its generally a good idea to start off slow.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I guess that depends a lot on your hamstring strength - low bar squats by definition hit the hamstrings and hip flexors pretty hard while front squats have the quads as prime movers. I'm guessing though your back squat won't be less than the fs. If you're absolutely clueless, then just test the waters on the first day and go for a 2RM or 1RM to see where you're at.

And to low bar vs. front, the difference there has a lot to do with relative quad/hammie strength (and ofc the back angle). A lot of oly guys I know have pretty ridiculous front and oly squats, but probably compared to those their low bar numbers might not be as great as could be expected due to the fact that OL emphasizes quad strength.

Apropos, I find high bar pretty awesome thus far, numbers aren't too far off my old PRs.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  14. javyn

javyn Senior member

In my limited experience, I've noticed the squat rack gets the most use as a pullup bar, and even then, not much. I think most dudes would much rather use the leg press instead.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  15. fuji

fuji Senior member

I have good hamstring strength from good mornings and RDLs so I doubt i have an imbalance in strength so I think ill just start out with my front squat weight. I probably have really weak glutes though so I don't know if that will effect it. I can do the powerlifting low bar form, i've just never tried it with any weight. He's like 30lb less then me so 10kg either side more is pretty impressive. I could try high bar first, might be an easier transition to make from front squat. I'll be using a belt for all my presses, squats and deads next week so that should help a bit too.

16. theom-

theom- Senior member

Did you end up getting that inzer belt? Gonna ask for one for my birthday.

17. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Nuts are also great for adding mass. One cup of nuts a day would add about 800 calories. You can buy mixed roasted nuts in bulk at most supermarkets, or Costco/Sam's. They're low carb, decent protein, high fat, and lots of iron which is extremely important--oxygen binds to iron in your blood stream to get carried to the cells for ATP conversion. I can actually feel when my iron is low, especially in higher rep sets I'll lose explosiveness more quickly.

Also, yesterday when the earthquake hit DC I was in between squat sets at 325. Could have been dangerous if I had had the bar on my back when that thing hit.

18. fuji

fuji Senior member

No, I'm too poor so I bought a golds gym one for $20, which is shit because its not even around the front, but I'm too poor to afford the inzer right now. Also I only want it for lower back stability for presses really. I've used it before, its the one my gym had before it was stolen. Ill get the inzer one when I get moneys.

19. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Strive to increase the caloric density of the foods you are eating. I'm light, too, but if you are underweight according to BMI, than you really need to consider your approach to food as dysfunctional.

20. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

It may if you're squatting high bar oly..
    Then again since the loading is usually much lower in the fs it's probably that the back squat drives the fs, so I think you're right on the money.