Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. michel smith

michel smith Member

Private policies are rated based on medical history I believe. Group policies (through the employer) are not. Obesity is not always caused by over eating....that can be discriminatory.

2. caprin

caprin New Member

Hi!
    Any exercise where you are pulling/pushing your entire bodyweight through space is very good because it's not necessarily 'easy', but it's also not as strenuous or potentially dangerous (if you don't know what you're doing) as weight-lifting .You can adopt these type of exercise to lose your weight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    spa treatments for men

3. makker

makker Senior member

When I am doing abdominal work in the gym on that bench thing, I feel like I have hit a plateau at working my abs. I cant feel any burning anymore and usually its my thighs that start to do the work in pulling my torso back up. Any suggestions on how to change this so I could work my abs more?

4. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

When I am doing abdominal work in the gym on that bench thing, I feel like I have hit a plateau at working my abs. I cant feel any burning anymore and usually its my thighs that start to do the work in pulling my torso back up. Any suggestions on how to change this so I could work my abs more?

Add resistence

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

so, finally went and lifted again after a week off. although i spend the last 5 days eating terribly and binge drinking, it actually went really well - gains on both my squat and bench. although pulldowns [​IMG]

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Plateuing on Barbell bench so switched to dumbell. My shoulders are killing me and my arms are totally dead. Didn't feel it much on the chest though (though cable fly/press more than made up for it). Think i should stick with it or go back to BB?

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I finally have found the perfect video to help me modify my squat. Dropping it in here for safe keeping.

http://www.crossfitoakland.com/archi...ar-back-squats

My exact issue, which I haven't been able to determine if it is a big deal or not until now, is that I put the bar exactly where this kid does for a high bar squat, but I move my hips and lean forward exactly like the low bar example.

I would perhaps have done this forever if my overhead squats weren't so awesomely painful, which is hilariously contained in the video. I think I see now how a high bar position and a hips-back low-bar squatting method is going to put way more torque on me, so it's a stupid way to be squatting.

I hope I can fix this is relatively short order.

8. NoStyle14

NoStyle14 Well-Known Member

Can anyone please recommend an alternative to the shoulder shrug to work the upper traps? Are there even any decent alternatives?

I've googled and everyone seems to have some sort of beef with everything else.

Anyone's upper neck and head "shake" when they do shrugs? I just don't like the feeling.

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I finally have found the perfect video to help me modify my squat. Dropping it in here for safe keeping.

http://www.crossfitoakland.com/archi...ar-back-squats

My exact issue, which I haven't been able to determine if it is a big deal or not until now, is that I put the bar exactly where this kid does for a high bar squat, but I move my hips and lean forward exactly like the low bar example.

I would perhaps have done this forever if my overhead squats weren't so awesomely painful, which is hilariously contained in the video. I think I see now how a high bar position and a hips-back low-bar squatting method is going to put way more torque on me, so it's a stupid way to be squatting.

I hope I can fix this is relatively short order.

that looks like a great vid. don't have sound at the moment cos i'm at uni, but will check it out when i get home.

Personally i do low bar. don't have the flexibility for high bar.

10. sonick

sonick Senior member

Thanks for that video, I am finding my deep squat gives me some knee pain with my high bar squat, will try going to low to see if it resolves that issue.

11. Saigon

Saigon Well-Known Member

Can anyone please recommend an alternative to the shoulder shrug to work the upper traps? Are there even any decent alternatives?

I've googled and everyone seems to have some sort of beef with everything else.

Anyone's upper neck and head "shake" when they do shrugs? I just don't like the feeling.

Hang cleans or power shrugs.

12. wahwho11

wahwho11 Senior member

Sorry for the question, but: what is the purpose of a powerlifting/weightlifing belt and does it benefit the person using it?

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Sorry for the question, but: what is the purpose of a powerlifting/weightlifing belt and does it benefit the person using it?

It gives your abs something to push against whilst doing valsava, allowing an increase in intra-abdominal pressure which stabilizes your torso while doing the big lifts.

14. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I am fucking destroyed after my leg workout a couple days ago, which was actually about 1/2 of my normal leg workout from before I had bacterial food poisoning. It's actually getting worse by the hour I swear, can't walk normally and it probably looks like I took it up the ass from Lexington Steel.

15. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I found a Pekiti Tirsia Kali group that trains across the street from my condo, where I've been living for the past three years. The last time I did PTK was 7 years ago. Gonna text them tonight, and hope I can keep up with the younger guys.