Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Just reading about the difference between hypertrophy (enlargement of muscles due to an increase in the volume of cells) and hyperplasia (enlargement of muscles due to an increase in the number of cells). Is one better than the other when the end goal is to sustainably build muscle? Do different sets/reps lead to hypertrophy or hyperplasia?
    you can't train for hyperplasia as far as i know.
    I keep dreaming about rugby. Last night was the 3rd time in the last 2 weeks where I dreamed I was playing again. As a fullback no less, and I was steady as a rock under the high ball... [​IMG]

Nothing like a jilted love to haunt your dreams forever.... [​IMG]

I like blindside flanker. Jerry!
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

2. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I'm officially a "novice" weight lifter, headed towards intermediate. That will take me at least a year...

Haha advanced, motherfucker!

3. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

you can't train for hyperplasia as far as i know.

I like blindside flanker. Jerry!
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Hmmm... couldn't get your link to work, but I think you might be referring to Jerry Collins? Total stud - strong as an ox and can hit like a freight train.

Nice tribute video here: .

He needs some help with his hair though... [​IMG]

4. NoStyle14

NoStyle14 Well-Known Member

There are people who believe different muscle groups respond better to different rep ranges. I have seen it mentioned in various tmuscle.com articles. What I generally recall are that large muscle groups respond better to higher rep ranges, so people who believe this will tend to perform sets of 20 reps for legs. ie - Your typical 5x5 program will grow your upper half a little harder than your lower.

I did the 100 pull ups yesterday (I get the terms confused, the harder, palms out one). It was not as hard as I thought it would be. I thought I would fatigue more permanently, not regain the ability to do 10 every 10 minutes. Where my biceps intersect with my elbows has been growing sore from overuse the past couple weeks, so I'm going to have to back off soon.

I still think chins / pullups were supposed to be decent for shoulder health? The lats may perform the brunt of the work, but that would be expected as the other muscles are quite small. I will be a bit more reasonable in the future and try to do the most I can in 30 minutes at 5 minute intervals and see where I can go from there.

You are one sarcastic mofo. I like it!

5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Back to high bar squats. Hoping to run them up to 175 in 3 weeks. Not entirely sure what I want to do with my elbows during them, though. I can push them under the bar or back behind the bar.

6. makker

makker Senior member

I currently have the main goal of decreasing my body fat %. 2 months ago I measured it with a rather inaccurate electric pulse measurer, which gave me roughly 20%. My target is in the 12-15% range. At the same time, I am in need of growing more muscle on my arms and trimming excess fat especially from the bottom part of my stomach, from belly button down. Funny thing is I can get a rather strong 4-pack but the extra two are missing due to this "ring" of fat. No muscle is visible and therefore the skin is very elastic when you squeeze it. I am 6 feet tall with a weight of 170 lbs, and I would like to trim down 10 lbs.

I have never been really overweight, but through exercising moderately in the last years I have noticed that my rather bulgy cheeks and roundish face as well as fat has begin to decrease. I guess I need to take it up a notch, by doing much more heavier weights on the arms at the gym and increasing intensity levels in cardio (not just moderate jogging for 6-7 miles, but shorter times with HIIT).

I feel that my arms are way too weak for me to do chinups for instance and therefore never have I attempted the bench press either. At the same time I feel like I need to tighten up the skin on my body, especially on my face. My cheeks feel so elastic that I want a more chiseled facial profile. As well, I have tried to trim down the wobbleness of my ass by doing the leg press slowly with extended pushes to really get the feel throughout the back part of my legs.

Does the exercise where you pull the bar down against a weight while sitting down also slim down the middle part of the body as well as strengthening your arms?

All in all, does excessive weightlifting and running eventually make people look more attractive in general? Does it give you a more model-like facial profile where the "excess" skin gradually disappears?

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I feel that my arms are way too weak for me to do chinups for instance and therefore never have I attempted the bench press either. At the same time I feel like I need to tighten up the skin on my body, especially on my face. My cheeks feel so elastic that I want a more chiseled facial profile. As well, I have tried to trim down the wobbleness of my ass by doing the leg press slowly with extended pushes to really get the feel throughout the back part of my legs.

IMO the only way to learn how to do heavy compound work (bench, squat, deads) is to just work on them. There's no shame in repping w/ the bar if you can't put any weight on there. Using isolation work like tricep extensions and such to strengthen your arms before moving to benching is going at it ass backwards (that is assuming you don't really have muscle dystrophy or anything).

The key is to work your way up to heavier weights, and given your goal of losing bf, I think heavy compounds are the way to go especially if you need to maintain or even gain lbm in the process.

Does the exercise where you pull the bar down against a weight while sitting down also slim down the middle part of the body as well as strengthening your arms?

If you're referring to the lat pulldown ( link here: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...tPulldown.html )

It activates your abdominals, although indirectly. A better exercise to tighten up your midsection would be to do core exercises like planks and side planks. A good thing to keep in mind as well is that spot reduction is basically nonexistent, we males seem to have the hardest time shaking off those extra pounds at the waist and in the low back (sometimes referred to as "stubborn fat") - long story short: want a tight midsection? gotta lose the bodyfat.

All in all, does excessive weightlifting and running eventually make people look more attractive in general? Does it give you a more model-like facial profile where the "excess" skin gradually disappears?

This again depends greatly on your definition of attractive, cardiovascular work combined with weightlifting AND the proper diet can certainly bring your bodyfat down - even to single digits if you keep at it. Whether that's a goal you want to achieve is really up to you.

In my experience, when one sheds bodyfat, ones face does become more pronounced and angular, as the puffiness created by the adipose tissue disappears - your skin will adapt as well, so don't worry about that unless you have 100s of pounds to lose, in which case it might be a more trickier situation.

So there you have my rather long-winded (and probably somewhat unaccurate) answer.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Im finally benching more then I weigh. Doing 150lb and Im 140lb and 6'2". Anyone have any recommendations for a protein supplement? I don't really have time for much of a breakfast and no lunch so Im probably not getting enough protein.

9. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

How do you not have time for breakfast? Frying eggs takes 8 minutes tops.

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

If you're in a real pinch, you can nuke that shit as well... won't taste super-duper good, but it gets the job done. Takes 2min max. Drop in some tuna and bam, there's your breakfast.

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Hard boil eggs for the week and eat them for breakfast. Throw a cup of whole milk on a cup of oats, dash of cinnamon, stir it, eat it (you can eat this <1min). Add dried crans and walnuts if you need the texture / flavor.

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Going to try to remember to try dips today.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Say what you will about carb-ups, but they do work... had an unplanned carbup yesterday (grandma's cooking... I don't think any man can resist that) and as a result, todays chest and leg workout was a monster.

Broke my last PR on the flat bench w/ my 4RM. Feels good man.

14. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Going to try to remember to try dips today.

Weighted dips FTW... love that exercise.

15. APK

APK Senior member

The "no time for breakfast" thing is usually a cover-up for laziness or shoddy planning. Worst case, you throw some ice, protein powder, water, PB, etc. in a blender, bottle it up and go.