Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Those rotator cuff warm-ups before pressing have made my shoulders pain-free. Resistance bands are also good to get the blood flowing in the infraspinatus.

Word.

But DAMN I am so lazy about remembering to properly warm up the shoulders. [​IMG]

2. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I used to do these exercises at http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/980215a.html religiously when I had a previous bout with shoulder pain. After a while I got lazy and stop doing them, but with a recent recurrence of shoulder pain, I am going to do them again. It just takes 10 minutes.

3. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

Taking a weeklong break from boxing and lifting to rest a shoulder that's getting out of whack. When I come back I'll be doing that before both activities. Now I just need to find some shit for my hips.

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Bought a basketball and some sneakers. Sneakers felt good in the store but they're a bit [​IMG] on the court. I am definitely not the young kid I was.... 10, 15 years ago. Quads burning from squats yesterday, ankles + knees feel stiff, every other shot is either swish or an airball. I can shoot like "mini" jump shots but I'm having trouble shooting full out jumpshots. Just have to recalibrate. I like it though. Should be fun, it felt great. Hopefully won't interfere with my lifts

5. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Bought a basketball and some sneakers. Sneakers felt good in the store but they're a bit [​IMG] on the court. I am definitely not the young kid I was.... 10, 15 years ago. Quads burning from squats yesterday, ankles + knees feel stiff, every other shot is either swish or an airball. I can shoot like "mini" jump shots but I'm having trouble shooting full out jumpshots. Just have to recalibrate. I like it though. Should be fun, it felt great. Hopefully won't interfere with my lifts

What you'd buy? I just got back in to basketball and I'm kinda getting hooked too. I've upped my cardio a lot, adding in a good amount of rowing as well and sadly my lifts are hurting [​IMG] Can't say I didn't expect it though.

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I got Nike Air Waves at a local Nike outlet. $25! But go one size above TTS

7. afc345

afc345 Senior member

Some ski jumpers from the Norwegian National Team lift at the same gym as me, whereas on saturday, I saw this super skinny guy at probably 125 lbs squat 265 lbs with some amazing explosivity in the top half of the lift. Blows my mind how they can be so strong.

8. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Getting your girlfriend to massage your legs is infinitely better than foam rolling.

9. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

Taking a weeklong break from boxing and lifting to rest a shoulder that's getting out of whack. When I come back I'll be doing that before both activities. Now I just need to find some shit for my hips.
    Another member gave me this link for some hip mobility exercises; about half way down the page. Good stuff. http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask..._08-10-03.html

10. stever

stever Senior member

I do this before all pressing sessions and it's made a huge difference in my shoulder health

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

tried this today, thank you so much. did a much better job of getting my shoulders loose than doing roughly the same exercises with a dumbbell

11. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Went "all out" on a cheat day yesterday. Only got to about 6,400 cal. I don't know how dudes get to 10k. [​IMG] eating that much is actually harder than fasting. Looking forward to not eating today.

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Went "all out" on a cheat day yesterday. Only got to about 6,400 cal. I don't know how dudes get to 10k. [​IMG] eating that much is actually harder than fasting. Looking forward to not eating today.

oh most definitely harder than fasting. I'm glad you actually realize how hard 10k+ is. [​IMG]

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Had to bail out from under 260 while squatting today, I fail.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

I need to learn to power clean properly. My front squats gonna overtake my power clean soon and then I'm going to have to change to a cross grip, which is shit. Anyone got any tips? I can do 135lb alright, but I don't know how good my form is.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

My front squats gonna overtake my power clean soon and then I'm going to have to change to a cross grip, which is shit.

Do you PC the bar up for your front squats or what, can't see that you'd have to change your grip if you have a squat or power rack at your disposal. Rippetoes instructions worked pretty good for me when I was learnign the movement.