• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Interesting

This me so far, asked a friend about barbell and bumper plates since he said he can get me a deal.

EBFC448B-90A5-43A1-918B-F88A9DB7CD32.jpeg

0F24B787-2451-42A6-8014-BA8E5F2D5C7F.jpeg

SJR3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use to think these push up handles were a gimmick. My wrists have been sore from pushups so I'm going to give them a shot. Deal on woot:

I think the rotating feature is gimmicky, but regular push-up handles are great. They allow your wrists to be straighter, and you can get a greater range of motion.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Until last year, I had a set of World Book encyclopedias. I actually preferred those to my push up handles.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about getting a set of paralettes like these:

Rogue makes fantastic gear but you could make a set out of PVC for $10-15 and they'd easily hold your weight.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use to think these push up handles were a gimmick. My wrists have been sore from pushups so I'm going to give them a shot. Deal on woot:

I thought the rotating pushup handles were a gimmick at first too and got the "Perfect Pushups" v1 years ago on sale. Now, I'd never give them up.

The whole rotating thing could be a gimmick, but, still the handles themselves are nice and solid and way better than any of the normal pushup handles/elevators I've used.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently heading in the fat, drunk and depressed direction. Need to get my ass back in gear. My 14-year-old daughter is making great progress in the home gym though — works out super consistently and is getting pretty strong. She wants to play water polo in high school.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Rogue makes fantastic gear but you could make a set out of PVC for $10-15 and they'd easily hold your weight.
These are definitely overbuilt but I’d like to try some handstand progressions and I think I’ll need something fairly beefy and stable for that.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I am currently heading in the fat, drunk and depressed direction. Need to get my ass back in gear. My 14-year-old daughter is making great progress in the home gym though — works out super consistently and is getting pretty strong. She wants to play water polo in high school.
I’m still working out with my coach over Zoom once a week which is helping me stay on track.

Let me know if you want an intro.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be interested to hear how everyone's managing weight gain during the quarantine. Large dinners at home with wine and too much time is not a good admixture for me!! I think I've put on about 5-8 pounds already!

Started doing some peloton and light calisthenics/yoga, as much for stress relief as keeping tabs on caloric intake. The peloton can be brutal but amps up my appetite so I think I lose out in the long run.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pushups, kettlebell swings, burpees, mountain climbers, kb or bodyweight squats. Cutting back (somewhat) on my boozing. Preceding every meal with a big glass of water or coffee with some Benefiber.

Should probably take up Yoga again.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Running long distance always suppressed my appetite more than stimulating it. Lifting always makes me hungry.

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just been running 3x a week and doing some sort of pushups at home. I've sort of gotten over the fact I'm going to loose a ton of gains. I'm not really athletic naturally and will shed muscle read fast if I'm not training. I'm looking at 4-8 weeks of quarantine with no access to weights, so eh I've just gotten over it. I'll probably have to start with Starting Strength and work back up to my old program over a span of 6 months.

Even if I wanted some sort of home gym right now, no place is available to ship anything. Even the parks are closed with signs up, so no pullup / dip bars. I don't mind though, I'd prefer to be in a place where the government is taking this serious.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and ask you....3x5 or 5x5 for someone starting out?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm working out a bit less than I was before, but I've also cut back on ice cream. Between the two I'm remaining about where I was.

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and ask you....3x5 or 5x5 for someone starting out?
I think doing something like 5x5 for a month or two, then switching to 3x5 would be best. As I'll want to get some of the volume in at first and 5x5 would help.

I've taken a year and a half off lifting before. When I started back again I did Starting Strength 5x5 until my first weight reset, then switched to Greyskull LP which is 3x5 until like 275 squat, 175bench, 315 deadlift, then did 5/3/1 beyond that.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.