• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Smart - you look amazing great progress! How'd you refine your diet, if at all?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Get Smart - you look amazing great progress! How'd you refine your diet, if at all?
diet....just the usual changes that most make once they get serious. first I started tracking my calories really diligently via myfitnesspal. I started eating about 1800/day. (my maintenance is around 2200) with around 150g protein daily. Replaced the bulk of what i was actually eating with whole foods, cut out most processed foods. I avoided nonsense like "cheat days", meaning, if I wanted a burger or pizza or ice cream or pastries, I ate it. I don't believe in food avoidance, just being smart about when/what you're eating since restrictive diets are always going to lead to failure in the long run. but i tracked it, and if I knew I was going to have a day where I ate something highly caloric without nutritional value, I would balance that by making sure my other meal that day was something like grilled chicken where it was low calorie and high protein. I never got obsessive about tracking macros, just focused on calories/protein, and I think that if you do so you'll end up fitting the other macros just by default

It also helps to have in mind what kind of fast food would fit into your eating plan. so when you have those days when you dont have time, or just the cravings, you have your go to fast food that isnt too bad for your calorie/protein goals. Chick fil a grilled club & grilled nuggets, El Pollo Loco chicken breast, Habit chicken club, etc were things I would get if I needed fast food.

a big part of what helped me was binging on the youtube videos by Athlean-X (Jeff Caviliere). There's a reason he is considered the #1 fitness guy with 8.5 million subs (when I started watching he "only" had about 5 million, so in 2 years he's almost doubled his viewership). His fitness and dietary advice was the biggest piece of the fitness puzzle for me, and the rest just fell into place.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
diet....just the usual changes that most make once they get serious. first I started tracking my calories really diligently via myfitnesspal. I started eating about 1800/day. (my maintenance is around 2200) with around 150g protein daily. Replaced the bulk of what i was actually eating with whole foods, cut out most processed foods. I avoided nonsense like "cheat days", meaning, if I wanted a burger or pizza or ice cream or pastries, I ate it. I don't believe in food avoidance, just being smart about when/what you're eating since restrictive diets are always going to lead to failure in the long run. but i tracked it, and if I knew I was going to have a day where I ate something highly caloric without nutritional value, I would balance that by making sure my other meal that day was something like grilled chicken where it was low calorie and high protein. I never got obsessive about tracking macros, just focused on calories/protein, and I think that if you do so you'll end up fitting the other macros just by default

It also helps to have in mind what kind of fast food would fit into your eating plan. so when you have those days when you dont have time, or just the cravings, you have your go to fast food that isnt too bad for your calorie/protein goals. Chick fil a grilled club & grilled nuggets, El Pollo Loco chicken breast, Habit chicken club, etc were things I would get if I needed fast food.

a big part of what helped me was binging on the youtube videos by Athlean-X (Jeff Caviliere). There's a reason he is considered the #1 fitness guy with 8.5 million subs (when I started watching he "only" had about 5 million, so in 2 years he's almost doubled his viewership). His fitness and dietary advice was the biggest piece of the fitness puzzle for me, and the rest just fell into place.
This exactly what I did and I am probably in the best shape ive ever been in. I also didn't do cheat days, I just budgeted in unhealthy meals. Esp the value of grilled chicken at fast food places!

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing I do want to add is that I take around 110-130g of protein. I don't go as crazy as some people do

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ yea when I started my recomp, I did 1g:1lb but once you've gotten yourself dialed in, around 75-80%g per pound is more than enough, so i aim for 120, but if I get more in, then that's fine too. if i get less, no biggie

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for a decent gym bag? I've been using my 10+ year old HS soccer duffel, and should probably get around to an upgrade at some point. Looking for something not obscenely expensive, that looks good, but isn't fancy enough for me to balk at beating the hell out of.
One that came up in my search was a Filson duffel. Seems the general aesthetic I'm after.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You don't need a gym back.

I go about my business toting around a large Guidi shoe bag :crackup:

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popping in to say hello. It’s been a while, friends. Not sure if I’ll get sucked back into sf

I’ve been biking instead of lifting, then that sort of fell off (at a point I was riding 100+ mile weeks). Most recently joined the gym again and trying to bike as well..

CarolineDv

Reaction score
I suggest going to the GYM and work work work. To fit the shirt just doing workout. I know its hard but you have no choose. I can help with choose exercises. I think you need to start from the back:)

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.