• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Get Smart - you look amazing great progress! How'd you refine your diet, if at all?
diet....just the usual changes that most make once they get serious. first I started tracking my calories really diligently via myfitnesspal. I started eating about 1800/day. (my maintenance is around 2200) with around 150g protein daily. Replaced the bulk of what i was actually eating with whole foods, cut out most processed foods. I avoided nonsense like "cheat days", meaning, if I wanted a burger or pizza or ice cream or pastries, I ate it. I don't believe in food avoidance, just being smart about when/what you're eating since restrictive diets are always going to lead to failure in the long run. but i tracked it, and if I knew I was going to have a day where I ate something highly caloric without nutritional value, I would balance that by making sure my other meal that day was something like grilled chicken where it was low calorie and high protein. I never got obsessive about tracking macros, just focused on calories/protein, and I think that if you do so you'll end up fitting the other macros just by default

It also helps to have in mind what kind of fast food would fit into your eating plan. so when you have those days when you dont have time, or just the cravings, you have your go to fast food that isnt too bad for your calorie/protein goals. Chick fil a grilled club & grilled nuggets, El Pollo Loco chicken breast, Habit chicken club, etc were things I would get if I needed fast food.

a big part of what helped me was binging on the youtube videos by Athlean-X (Jeff Caviliere). There's a reason he is considered the #1 fitness guy with 8.5 million subs (when I started watching he "only" had about 5 million, so in 2 years he's almost doubled his viewership). His fitness and dietary advice was the biggest piece of the fitness puzzle for me, and the rest just fell into place.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
diet....just the usual changes that most make once they get serious. first I started tracking my calories really diligently via myfitnesspal. I started eating about 1800/day. (my maintenance is around 2200) with around 150g protein daily. Replaced the bulk of what i was actually eating with whole foods, cut out most processed foods. I avoided nonsense like "cheat days", meaning, if I wanted a burger or pizza or ice cream or pastries, I ate it. I don't believe in food avoidance, just being smart about when/what you're eating since restrictive diets are always going to lead to failure in the long run. but i tracked it, and if I knew I was going to have a day where I ate something highly caloric without nutritional value, I would balance that by making sure my other meal that day was something like grilled chicken where it was low calorie and high protein. I never got obsessive about tracking macros, just focused on calories/protein, and I think that if you do so you'll end up fitting the other macros just by default

It also helps to have in mind what kind of fast food would fit into your eating plan. so when you have those days when you dont have time, or just the cravings, you have your go to fast food that isnt too bad for your calorie/protein goals. Chick fil a grilled club & grilled nuggets, El Pollo Loco chicken breast, Habit chicken club, etc were things I would get if I needed fast food.

a big part of what helped me was binging on the youtube videos by Athlean-X (Jeff Caviliere). There's a reason he is considered the #1 fitness guy with 8.5 million subs (when I started watching he "only" had about 5 million, so in 2 years he's almost doubled his viewership). His fitness and dietary advice was the biggest piece of the fitness puzzle for me, and the rest just fell into place.
This exactly what I did and I am probably in the best shape ive ever been in. I also didn't do cheat days, I just budgeted in unhealthy meals. Esp the value of grilled chicken at fast food places!

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing I do want to add is that I take around 110-130g of protein. I don't go as crazy as some people do

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ yea when I started my recomp, I did 1g:1lb but once you've gotten yourself dialed in, around 75-80%g per pound is more than enough, so i aim for 120, but if I get more in, then that's fine too. if i get less, no biggie

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for a decent gym bag? I've been using my 10+ year old HS soccer duffel, and should probably get around to an upgrade at some point. Looking for something not obscenely expensive, that looks good, but isn't fancy enough for me to balk at beating the hell out of.
One that came up in my search was a Filson duffel. Seems the general aesthetic I'm after.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You don't need a gym back.

I go about my business toting around a large Guidi shoe bag :crackup:

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popping in to say hello. It’s been a while, friends. Not sure if I’ll get sucked back into sf

I’ve been biking instead of lifting, then that sort of fell off (at a point I was riding 100+ mile weeks). Most recently joined the gym again and trying to bike as well..

beepbop

Reaction score
Finished up my last heavy week before next Saturday's meet!
240x1 bench: 380x1 squat: first set of 3x1x440 DL:
Looking to open at 365/235/430, and overall goal is to meet my gym PRs on the platform, but I would really love to try for a 5 plate pull if it's going well.

Cantaloupe

Reaction score
Finished up my last heavy week before next Saturday's meet!
240x1 bench: 380x1 squat: first set of 3x1x440 DL:
Looking to open at 365/235/430, and overall goal is to meet my gym PRs on the platform, but I would really love to try for a 5 plate pull if it's going well.
Damn bro, this is kickass! 💪

beepbop

Reaction score
Competed in my first powerlifting meet today! Did a small water cut of 2-3 lbs, and weighed in at 181.5 lbs. Definitely didn't do a good job of rehydrating afterwards, which impacted my lifts, but I ended up finishing 7th out of 13 with a 495 kg/1091 lb total on 6/9 lifts. I ended up within spitting distance of my gym PRs, which I'm super excited about. I learned a lot, and I'm excited to apply what I learned for my next meet!

Squat:
Attempt 1: 167.5 kg/370 lbs - 2 whites, 1 red
Attempt 2: 180 kg/396 lbs - 3 reds, jumped the rack command
Attempt 3: 180 kg/396 lbs - 2 whites, 1 red

Bench:
Attempt 1: 107.5 kg/237 lbs - 3 whites
Attempt 2: 112.5 kg/248 lbs - 3 whites
Attempt 3: 117.5 kg/259 lbs - missed, 3 reds

Deadlift:
Attempt 1: 195 kg/430 lbs - 3 whites
Attempt 2: 202.5 kg/446 lbs - 3 whites
Attempt 3: 210 kg/463 lbs - missed, 3 reds

Peter1

Reaction score
^^That is awesome. I've had shoulder and hip issues for decades (pin in shoulder due to multiple dislocations; femoral head reshaping in hip) that limit me to no/low impact sports like cycling, but when I was younger I loved hitting the weights. It was kind of addictive seeing how much you could improve with good technique, and just as important, a lifting buddy to spot/encourage.

Speaking of weight loss, I've dropped about 15 pounds this year, from 77k to 70.5 (170+ to 155, 1.80 m tall), and have to say that it's been about 70 percent exercise (training for a hard cycling gran fondo) and 30 percent diet (cut down to 2-3 drinks a week from 6-7; skipping afternoon snacks; no seconds). OTOH, I made sure NOT to increase my caloric intake -- if you're training hard, the temptation is to scarf everything in the fridge when you get back from, say, a bike ride that burns 2-3k of calories.

Key will be to see if I can keep it off when the weather gets bad and I can't ride outside.

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
Finally back into benching after a mild pec tear 2 months ago. I think I've given up on pushing volume as that's the second time I've torn it.

Also cool seeing members here are into powerlifting. My brother has been into it for a while and has some solid #s/went to worlds. Really miss training with him since I'm stuck in SLC now. -_-

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My daughter is trying out for crew in the Spring so I got her a Concept 2 ergometer to train on. Have been using it myself for interval workouts and damn that thing is still the most perfect torture device ever designed. Brings back memories of getting a trash can before every 2K test in case you needed to puke into it.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My daughter is trying out for crew in the Spring so I got her a Concept 2 ergometer to train on. Have been using it myself for interval workouts and damn that thing is still the most perfect torture device ever designed. Brings back memories of getting a trash can before every 2K test in case you needed to puke into it.
When I think of my Concept II experiences I remember pain, exhaustian and above all boredom.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.