• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Ill do some weighted.
If you’re doing full ROM pull-ups there’s no reason for your lower traps to be weak/underdeveloped unless they’re being inhibited somehow. You can try some scapula wall slides or prone Ys to increase proprioceptive input of the lower traps and really focus on scapular depression at the top of a pull-up.

Also overhead carries and overhead work in general puts a lot of stress on mid/lower traps. I do a lot of single arm overhead dumbbell/kettlebell carries during conditioning workouts. You can try overhead barbell shrugs too.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Volume is a bit on the high side if you're gonna run that 6 days a week while cutting. Good call changing the squat/bench/deadlift sets to 5 reps. I never program anything higher than 8s on those lifts personally. Usually no higher than 5 for deads. Might want to consider doing the deadlifts first on the pull day. Kind of dumb to do those after rows and pulldowns. And for the BB curls, I'd ditch the "3x28 Method" and just do straight sets in the 8-10 rep range.

Otherwise, good exercise selection. But where's the progression? The periodization? The percentages/RPE? I guess a template, which is all this is, is fine if you're a novice/intermediate and looking to cut body weight. Otherwise, you're going to stall out pretty quickly on this. Or maybe you're not interested in long term progress and simply want to throw some weight around in the gym a few days a week, which is totally fine, much better than doing nothing, but just realize that's all this routine is.
Could you elaborate on progression/periodization? I plan on increasing each lift by 5-10lb every week and deloading if I stall. I'm not really an intermediate numbers wise, more of a beginner, but I did do starting strength for two years before stopping more than a year ago.

SJR3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on progression/periodization? I plan on increasing each lift by 5-10lb every week and deloading if I stall. I'm not really an intermediate numbers wise, more of a beginner, but I did do starting strength for two years before stopping more than a year ago.
If you can increase each lift 5-10 lbs every week, that's great, by all means do that and run this program until you stall. However, at a 500-1000 calorie deficit, you might stall pretty quickly. I'd suggest getting to your desired body weight (185, I think you said?) while running this program which is decent enough, then take a look at Barbell Medicine's programs if you're interested in progressing further. Once you get to 185, and if you've stalled on the main lifts in the program you plan to run, I'd consider "The Bridge" from BB Medine: https://www.barbellmedicine.com/

It's a free program under the "More" dropdown tab at the top of the website. Their programs will teach you some of the finer aspects of programming and long term progression, periodization, managing volume and fatigue, and training smartly. Once you are past the beginner phase, you can't simply keep adding 5-10 lbs every workout or every week, and you need to "periodize" your training in different phases which manipulate volume, intensity, exercise selection, and other variables so that you can build work capacity and make long-term progress.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Words I never expected to say/write: I bought boxing gloves today. I tried one of those HIIT boxing classes the other day and really enjoyed it. The loaner gloves were utterly foul so my top priority was getting my own pair before trying it again.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My bro-dudes. I've been avoiding the scales lately, but today while I was working out, I took my lifting belt in another notch, so thought I'd jump on them. 199.5#. I broke the 200 barrier for the first time since the 1990s. Not only that I recently tossed another 10# on my bench for reps, 5# to biceps, and 10# to triceps.

beepbop

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with prepping for a PL meet? I've got my first one coming up in 10 weeks, and I'm not quite sure where to start as far as programming goes. I found a 10 week program which seems fine, but open to other suggestions. My current maxes are 255/410/455 at 183-185 BW. I'm competing in the 83 kg (183 lb) weight class, so my priorities are being able to move my current maxes as a second attempt while making weight, which will probably mean significantly cleaning up my diet. Also working on rehabbing a pulled quad from two or three weeks ago, which I'm hoping will be all better come meet time.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a USAPL meet right? You’ll want to start practicing the lifts according to the federation standards immediately(cues, setup, actual lift executions). Especially with bench, but do that in addition to not in place of your normal bench training. Make sure your gear is all compliant with USAPL rules. Beyond that I wouldn’t try changing much in such a short timespan.

Basic advice is to keep volume and intensity high until 4 weeks out then taper volume while continuing to increase intensity. Take heavy doubles/singles 2 weeks out, note RPEs throughout 10 weeks get a better idea of your e1RM for attempt selection, take openers a week out. Meet day might be a cluster but just learn from the experience and have fun.

I would recommend The Strength Athlete’s beginner or intermediate templates over the program you linked. Both are available for free on the their website.

beepbop

Reaction score
It’s a USAPL meet right? You’ll want to start practicing the lifts according to the federation standards immediately(cues, setup, actual lift executions). Especially with bench, but do that in addition to not in place of your normal bench training. Make sure your gear is all compliant with USAPL rules. Beyond that I wouldn’t try changing much in such a short timespan.

Basic advice is to keep volume and intensity high until 4 weeks out then taper volume while continuing to increase intensity. Take heavy doubles/singles 2 weeks out, note RPEs throughout 10 weeks get a better idea of your e1RM for attempt selection, take openers a week out. Meet day might be a cluster but just learn from the experience and have fun.

I would recommend The Strength Athlete’s beginner or intermediate templates over the program you linked. Both are available for free on the their website.
Thanks for the tips! I've actually run TSA Intermediate previously, and I liked it enough, though the 5x5 squat workouts were always brutal.

And yeah, the meet I'm competing in is a USAPL novice meet.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Best of luck at the meet!

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow moving countries to the other side of the world has destroyed me this winter.. Their flu season started a month or so and I've been seen every week or two sick. I work in virology and know I just gotta power through it as I build my immune system. But damn is it destroying my gains.

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I wasn't prepared for, when I did my first meet. Was how long and boring it is. Bring lots of food and someting to pass time because I've been at PL meets for 6+ hours before. Best of luck man!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oxygen saturation at 98%
Resting pulse 47
BP 116/68

Yup, looking good.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing IF to try and lose the last bit of weight. 1 week in and it's going ok. Plan to do it 3-4 weeks. I'll post before and after pics

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a break from IF , visiting friends today and tomorrow. Don't want to be that guy

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just checking in on this threak after a hiatus of sorts. Glad to see everyone's still making gains and moving forward.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.