• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goal personal goal is to be around 172-176 lbs, have what I consider an appealing physique, and lastly have decent lift numbers.
if i can get down to around 140-145 and bench 5x5 225. i'd be v happy.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I also imagine on a cliff and needing the strength to pull someone up if they slip. That's why I train for power.
I train for athletic performance as an alpine and backcountry skier, primarily. That definitely requires having the strength to perform self rescue and to be able to assist in rescuing others.

If only that was me! I'm 14 years younger than him and nowhere near as lean or muscular. On the other hand, I'm a lot leaner and more muscular than I was a year ago, so at least things are going in the right direction again.

I mentioned Dennis, who I know in IRL as he lives near me, because he didn't start lifting until he was 55. Meeting him and seeing what was possible really opened my eyes to the fact that it wasn't too late to make a change for the better.
Likewise. I had one of those "ah ha" moments a couple of years ago when I realized that while it may not yet be too late, time is running out. I've had to overcome several pain syndromes along the way but now I am much more fit, by my own definition, than I've been in at least 20 if not 30 years.

I wonder if too many bros discount flexibility if their goal is just to appear better looking. Yoga (and it’s effect on posture) apparently makes you look years younger, and all the university-funded research shows women prefer a much more average/medium-sized physique than the roided-out aesthetic many aspire to.
I started out two years ago with the stated goals of reducing joint pain and improving my athletic performance by focusing on core strength, stamina, balance, and flexibility. Those goals steered me away from doing much in the way of traditional lifting and toward HIIT, cardio, yoga and Pilates. Now, it also happens that I've lost weight and improved my "aesthetics" considerably, but those are really just the unavoidable side effects of taking this approach.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna try this PPL routine with Push-pull-legs-rest-push-pull-rest-legs splits. Probably gonna cut some leg exercises and add more abs. Also cutting Bench/DL/Squat reps way down to 5 max with more sets. 5-10min jump rope/treadmill HIIT after every workout. Currently eating 500-1000cal under maintenance to try to cut from around 205 to 185.

firefox_g8IoywM0yU.png

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MGoCrimson What do you do for lower traps? Mine are actually pretty weak, I do a lot of work for them in the shoulder area, but they started off super weak.

SJR3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna try this PPL routine with Push-pull-legs-rest-push-pull-rest-legs splits. Probably gonna cut some leg exercises and add more abs. Also cutting Bench/DL/Squat reps way down to 5 max with more sets. 5-10min jump rope/treadmill HIIT after every workout. Currently eating 500-1000cal under maintenance to try to cut from around 205 to 185.

View attachment 1208171
Volume is a bit on the high side if you're gonna run that 6 days a week while cutting. Good call changing the squat/bench/deadlift sets to 5 reps. I never program anything higher than 8s on those lifts personally. Usually no higher than 5 for deads. Might want to consider doing the deadlifts first on the pull day. Kind of dumb to do those after rows and pulldowns. And for the BB curls, I'd ditch the "3x28 Method" and just do straight sets in the 8-10 rep range.

Otherwise, good exercise selection. But where's the progression? The periodization? The percentages/RPE? I guess a template, which is all this is, is fine if you're a novice/intermediate and looking to cut body weight. Otherwise, you're going to stall out pretty quickly on this. Or maybe you're not interested in long term progress and simply want to throw some weight around in the gym a few days a week, which is totally fine, much better than doing nothing, but just realize that's all this routine is.

beepbop

Reaction score
I used to be all about strength but I'm very happy with my above average numbers now enough so to not care about any more progress in that area. It's just too time consuming and not personally rewarding.

Strength training vs training to look good are just levels different in terms of programming. Also to clarify, I'm not talking about training like a true natural bodybuilder either I'm talking about casual lifting to look and feel good.

If you are a surgical resident training at the intensity to get stronger, and the eating it requires, is tough but if you just want to look good, feet very doable and you can fit into nice designers. Plus as any power lifter will tell you, keeping your bf low while getting stronger is a fools errand. You are gonna lose definition unless you are still riding noob gains. Finally, lifting for strength is grueling on joints and ligaments. I'm not trying to be sore all over while wearing lead. Now just to clarify, I'm all about compound lifts but for the sake of generating that sweet T boost, not to reach some arbitrary strength bench mark. If the two line up that's great, but it's simply not true that if your goal is strength you'll end up looking aesthetic. It's not even as simple as saying stay lean and go for strength since as @beebop can attest, if you pack on numbers on your lifts you lose definition along the way.

My goal personal goal is to be around 172-176 lbs, have what I consider an appealing physique, and lastly have decent lift numbers.
Yeah, definitely agree what you've said here. I'm starting med school in a few weeks, and I figured that if there's any time to build a really strong foundation for the rest of my life it's now, especially since I'll largely be just studying for the first 1.5 years. I personally have some absolutely arbitrary strength goals that I want to hit in my lifetime (3 plate bench, 1000 lb combined squat + DL), but beyond that, I doubt I'd be pushing very hard towards elite territory. Mostly, I want to have the athletic foundation to be able to try new things.dd

I'm currently sitting in the 182-185 territory, and optimally, I'd like to put on maybe another 5-10 lbs of muscle, and then drop some weight so I can sit at 175-180 as my year-round weight.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely agree what you've said here. I'm starting med school in a few weeks, and I figured that if there's any time to build a really strong foundation for the rest of my life it's now, especially since I'll largely be just studying for the first 1.5 years. I personally have some absolutely arbitrary strength goals that I want to hit in my lifetime (3 plate bench, 1000 lb combined squat + DL), but beyond that, I doubt I'd be pushing very hard towards elite territory. Mostly, I want to have the athletic foundation to be able to try new things.dd

I'm currently sitting in the 182-185 territory, and optimally, I'd like to put on maybe another 5-10 lbs of muscle, and then drop some weight so I can sit at 175-180 as my year-round weight.

My biggest advice is to not stop working out in medical school and switch to shorter (45-65m) workouts 3 days a week with some fun cardio mixed in like a running group. It'll help you keep focus and stay sane. Resist the urge to be a total hermit.

beepbop

Reaction score
My biggest advice is to not stop working out in medical school and switch to shorter (45-65m) workouts 3 days a week with some fun cardio mixed in like a running group. It'll help you keep focus and stay sane. Resist the urge to be a total hermit.
Definitely planning on joining a running group of some sort. I ran the cherry blossom 10 miler in 2018, and that was a ton of fun, and I'm hoping to do it again this upcoming year!

I currently do 4 workouts a week, but they end up being closer to 75-90m, but I definitely need to cut down my rest times between sets and improve my conditioning.

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one tho that is a happier when I have a little bit of extra weight on? I think I like best around 16-18% bodyfat. Which def isn't asthetic, but if I drop lower I look almost sickly, at least to me. I'm a bit happier with a fuller face (still jaw asthetics tho) haha. Maybe because I'm sort of an extreme ectomorph and I work out just to carry a bit of extra eight. As if it were up to my body I'd be 135lbs.

beepbop

Reaction score
Went in to test my squat 1RM today after pulling my quad two weeks ago. Good news is that my depth issues are entirely due to my knee sleeves, and taking extra time for mobility work and warm up meant that my squats were pain free. Bad news is that my strength is def not back yet. Missed 385 for a single when I hit 390 for a double a month or so ago.

I'm likely going to be entering prep for my meet at the end of September in the next week or two, and I think starting with a volume block will help with getting my strength back to where it needs to be.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warning: pedantry ahead

That’s not entirely correct. Larger muscle CSA is highly associated with force production and the primary factor affected through training but muscle/body architecture and neuromuscular components are the difference makers especially in advanced/elite populations. Also there is no difference in factors for force production between natural and enhanced lifters. Supraphysiological T can possibly cause increased Ca2+ flux and a very significant placebo effect shown in a few studies.

@everyone do some medial/posterior deltoid and lower trap work. These muscles tend to be underdeveloped in everyone, not just powerlifters and they really really add to a physique.

@beepbop I like saying maximal lifts are as much an expression of skill as strength. Also welcome to the $200+ jacket alterations club soon?

@penanceroyaltea calisthenics are awesome. I enjoy doing the occasional front lever/pike to break up the core training monotony of ab wheel etc. Not sure if I can hold a flag anymore and haven’t done the goofier stuff like handstand push-ups in a long time either. Wish I could do more holds, an iron cross in particular, but with my height, weight, and injury history, the strain on my joints/connective tissues just isn’t worth it.

@steveoffice are you looking for any specific macro requirements?
Cool man! I’m still working slowly toward a full front lever. Stuck at a straddle for now. Progress is slow man!

Sometimes it feels like I should’ve started this 15 years ago and def not at my current age but it is what it is..

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MGoCrimson What do you do for lower traps? Mine are actually pretty weak, I do a lot of work for them in the shoulder area, but they started off super weak.
Progress from prone blackburns(particularly the Y), to "scap" pulldowns on a lat pulldown, to band-assisted pullups, to body weight pullups, to weighted pullups.

Cool man! I’m still working slowly toward a full front lever. Stuck at a straddle for now. Progress is slow man!

Sometimes it feels like I should’ve started this 15 years ago and def not at my current age but it is what it is..
Haha yea, no time like the present!

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weighted pull ups are good for traps? I do a lot of those but I thought it’s more mid back and arms

I must say I don’t really feel it in my traps when I do them

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid and lower traps are heavily loaded to adduct and depress the scapula during a pullup

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.