• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, it gets pretty wild sometimes. Most I’ve had was an 18lb swing over one day after a week long vacation.

It’s definitely augmented by lifestyle — I 16:8 fast, carb cycle, and drink 1.5-2 gallons of water per day.

SJR3

Reaction score
Ever since I have up on power lifting I've been much happier. Pretty much view the gym as recreation and to help create a very specific and attainable look that in no small part is to look good in clothes
I've been considering doing the same. So what's your training like now?

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 days of weight lifting with 45-60 minute workouts that are a mix of sets and reps. It's back/bi , chest/tri, leg/shoulders.

Then two days of 20-30 minutes cardio with either abs or light bis

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, bulk up or slim down do what you want, I don't think you should let your clothes dictate that. These days I prefer clothing that has a wider tolerance for weight fluctuations anyway. Pants that can look cool at both waist and hip, loose fit shirts, jackets that aren't designed to fit perfectly etc etc.

Crazy to think I used to do the whole size down on raw denim thing. Fuck that life.
Dude same here. Fuck being one heavy gym week / heavy eating week away from growing out of all my clothes. Been wearing fuller cuts too.

Also i'm convinced the whole bulk / cut cycle propagated by the research based gurus is bullshit. That really just works if you are equipped. Lifting heavy, like actually heavy, and eating clean gets you there.
Ever since I have up on power lifting I've been much happier. Pretty much view the gym as recreation and to help create a very specific and attainable look that in no small part is to look good in clothes
I'm 100% on board with all of this.

I went to a strength sports gym for a while recently. I loved the community, but eventually realized I don't like strength sports very much. I honestly didn't have the discipline or interest in grinding heavy weights and putting the work in necessary to get "powerlifting strong."

Most barbell training advice is so PL-focused, if you're not really into it you lose perspective. I'm just getting back into lifting, and I'll be perfectly fine if I never pull 500 or bench 315. I'm not in it to get as strong as possible as fast as possible, just to stay healthy and improve performance at other athletic activities (and have a better body, too).

I've been floating at 195-200 since the new year, down from 230 in August at the peak of my grindy squats and deadlifts. I'd like to lose another 20 lbs. and get my waist down under 34".

Finally: I have broad shoulders and hips. Working out only makes the proportions worse. It took a long time to just accept that looser fitting clothes are better for me.

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you guys think is a healthy waist measurement to maintain for someone who is 5'7"? Right now I'd consider myself to be in the best shape I've been but my waist measures 34" at bellybutton. However, I'm like a size 31 / 32 inch pant (some of my 32 pants I've had to get taken in). I think I'd ideally like to be 32", but even at my current size I still feel on the small side!

If I just clean up my diet a bit and add a very extra sets I usually drop back down to 32" but do notice a decrease in strength when my waist isn't as blocky.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think central adiposity actually correlates better to health measures than bmi so I'd suggest looking up the caliper measurements or just eyeball test. If you at least have a 4 pack you are definitely in the clear

SJR3

Reaction score
What you guys think is a healthy waist measurement to maintain for someone who is 5'7"? Right now I'd consider myself to be in the best shape I've been but my waist measures 34" at bellybutton. However, I'm like a size 31 / 32 inch pant (some of my 32 pants I've had to get taken in). I think I'd ideally like to be 32", but even at my current size I still feel on the small side!

If I just clean up my diet a bit and add a very extra sets I usually drop back down to 32" but do notice a decrease in strength when my waist isn't as blocky.
34" waist is perfectly healthy at your height. You don't really need to worry unless you get up into the 38-40" range or above.

If you wanna lose a couple inches for vanity's sake, that decision is up to you. You're running into the classic trade-off scenario every guy faces (unless you use drugs): do you want to carry a little extra fat/weight and be stronger, or lose some strength/size potential to be leaner? Only you can make that call.

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the deal is now adays with women on gear? Male powerlifting at this point is all how long you can stay on a cycle for. Just curious what females are doing now adays. I lifted with a nationally ranked female powerlifter and her body comp was no where near some of these girls, maybe they are genetic outliers.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying creatine monohydrate. it's 15 cents a serving so if it does nothing I'm not too upset.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the supplements out there, creatine is by far the most researched and demonstrably efficacious.

stylish_raven

Reaction score
yes, bodyfat and metabolic sindrome are things to watch out for, just train smart and eat healthy most of the time.
I think central adiposity actually correlates better to health measures than bmi so I'd suggest looking up the caliper measurements or just eyeball test. If you at least have a 4 pack you are definitely in the clear

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Progress so far. Decided to weight loss competition with a buddy so I went a bit nuts before the weigh-in to inflate my numbers.

diet: one meal a day, low carb, one break day a week
workouts: 3 20 min tabata rides and 2 30 min weight lifting (light load high reps) a week

start date:
02/23: 181
03/03: 170
03/09: 167
03/14: 165

Took me about 2 weeks to get used to eating 1 meal a day. Not having to worry about what to eat for lunch is pretty nice actually. Once I reach my goal, I'll probably continue one meal a day, but eat whatever I want for dinner.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.