1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

1. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Yea, it gets pretty wild sometimes. Most I’ve had was an 18lb swing over one day after a week long vacation.

It’s definitely augmented by lifestyle — I 16:8 fast, carb cycle, and drink 1.5-2 gallons of water per day.

2. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

I've been considering doing the same. So what's your training like now?

3. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

3 days of weight lifting with 45-60 minute workouts that are a mix of sets and reps. It's back/bi , chest/tri, leg/shoulders.

Then two days of 20-30 minutes cardio with either abs or light bis

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

I'm 100% on board with all of this.

I went to a strength sports gym for a while recently. I loved the community, but eventually realized I don't like strength sports very much. I honestly didn't have the discipline or interest in grinding heavy weights and putting the work in necessary to get "powerlifting strong."

Most barbell training advice is so PL-focused, if you're not really into it you lose perspective. I'm just getting back into lifting, and I'll be perfectly fine if I never pull 500 or bench 315. I'm not in it to get as strong as possible as fast as possible, just to stay healthy and improve performance at other athletic activities (and have a better body, too).

I've been floating at 195-200 since the new year, down from 230 in August at the peak of my grindy squats and deadlifts. I'd like to lose another 20 lbs. and get my waist down under 34".

Finally: I have broad shoulders and hips. Working out only makes the proportions worse. It took a long time to just accept that looser fitting clothes are better for me.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

What you guys think is a healthy waist measurement to maintain for someone who is 5'7"? Right now I'd consider myself to be in the best shape I've been but my waist measures 34" at bellybutton. However, I'm like a size 31 / 32 inch pant (some of my 32 pants I've had to get taken in). I think I'd ideally like to be 32", but even at my current size I still feel on the small side!

If I just clean up my diet a bit and add a very extra sets I usually drop back down to 32" but do notice a decrease in strength when my waist isn't as blocky.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019

6. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

I think central adiposity actually correlates better to health measures than bmi so I'd suggest looking up the caliper measurements or just eyeball test. If you at least have a 4 pack you are definitely in the clear

7. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

34" waist is perfectly healthy at your height. You don't really need to worry unless you get up into the 38-40" range or above.

If you wanna lose a couple inches for vanity's sake, that decision is up to you. You're running into the classic trade-off scenario every guy faces (unless you use drugs): do you want to carry a little extra fat/weight and be stronger, or lose some strength/size potential to be leaner? Only you can make that call.

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Yeah that doesn't sound too fat Coldsnap.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

Anyone know what the deal is now adays with women on gear? Male powerlifting at this point is all how long you can stay on a cycle for. Just curious what females are doing now adays. I lifted with a nationally ranked female powerlifter and her body comp was no where near some of these girls, maybe they are genetic outliers.

10. Big Pun

Big Pun Distinguished Member

Trying creatine monohydrate. it's 15 cents a serving so if it does nothing I'm not too upset.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

I think you been on YouTube too long @Coldsnap haha

12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Of all the supplements out there, creatine is by far the most researched and demonstrably efficacious.

13. accordion

accordion Distinguished Member

Selling a pair of lightly worn/almost new white/black Romaleo 2s in US11.

14. stylish_raven

stylish_raven Senior Member

yes, bodyfat and metabolic sindrome are things to watch out for, just train smart and eat healthy most of the time.

15. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

Progress so far. Decided to weight loss competition with a buddy so I went a bit nuts before the weigh-in to inflate my numbers.

diet: one meal a day, low carb, one break day a week
    workouts: 3 20 min tabata rides and 2 30 min weight lifting (light load high reps) a week

start date:
    02/23: 181
    03/03: 170
    03/09: 167
    03/14: 165

Took me about 2 weeks to get used to eating 1 meal a day. Not having to worry about what to eat for lunch is pretty nice actually. Once I reach my goal, I'll probably continue one meal a day, but eat whatever I want for dinner.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019