1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

1. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Distinguished Member

Sounds really painful. But good luck!!

2. penanceroyaltea

Don’t do this.. Nothing will fit right and you’ll have to sell everything. I think what you’re trying.. moderate weights and slightly more cardio will get you where I think u wanna be..

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Meh, bulk up or slim down do what you want, I don't think you should let your clothes dictate that. These days I prefer clothing that has a wider tolerance for weight fluctuations anyway. Pants that can look cool at both waist and hip, loose fit shirts, jackets that aren't designed to fit perfectly etc etc.

Crazy to think I used to do the whole size down on raw denim thing. Fuck that life.

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

I’m not saying he should go on a dream bulk or anything. I just mean if he’s currently skinny-fat then once he drops 20lbs he will just be skinny-skinny, so what’s the point in that?
    I’m saying he should just clean up his eating and focus on getting stronger and building muscle for a couple of months. He might find himself dropping to 165 but with more muscle and a leaner physique he’ll look and feel completely different.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019

5. penanceroyaltea

I’m just saying this from personal experience. Not fitting into all your old clothes kinda sucks. Cos you wanna slim down to fit the stuff then you build muscle and you can’t really fit well into your standard clothing sizes and I dunno if it’s worth it.

I guess I enjoy working out now more than I enjoy my older stuff.. but it’s still a bit of a bummer.

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

Dude same here. Fuck being one heavy gym week / heavy eating week away from growing out of all my clothes. Been wearing fuller cuts too.

Also i'm convinced the whole bulk / cut cycle propagated by the research based gurus is bullshit. That really just works if you are equipped. Lifting heavy, like actually heavy, and eating clean gets you there.

7. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

Ever since I have up on power lifting I've been much happier. Pretty much view the gym as recreation and to help create a very specific and attainable look that in no small part is to look good in clothes

8. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

9. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Um, sounds like you've put faith in the wrong gurus. Also, depends on what you mean by "equipped". But why on earth would you wear clothes with such strict tolerances in the first place? If you're actually big, 5-10 pound fluctuations are nothing.

Were you actually a powerlifter? Did you compete?

10. Benesyed

In Albany I trained with the team at the gym and had been in track to compete but then stuff happen injury and life wise

11. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

i was never a big guy tho i was alright at my size. my peak was high school when i played football (275/405/495 at 170) and then shortly after college (245/315/405 at 155).

just before my wife got pregnant was when i was probably at my happiest/healthiest, where i was eating clean, doing a lot more cardio and doing high reps with very low weights opposed to 5x5 (i weighed around 145-150). also, am fine with being skinny-skinny :D

12. Benesyed

I don't think I could live at anything under 170 haha

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Nah I definitely get stronger and put on muscle much more on a deliberate than just sorta maintaining. It's definitely effective, it just has some downsides.

I also lose athleticism quickly when deliberately bulk, and that's annoying with other sports. So yeah, I do pretty much try and maintain a weight or only bulk really slowly.

14. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

@steveoffice I’d spend more time lifting if you can. Rebuilding muscle will still be pretty easy given your past level of fitness and it’s best to get started now than later when everything physique related takes a big hit from age.

Lol at heavy gym/eating week = clothes not fitting. My weight fluctuates 10-15lbs every day and everything fits fine.

“Bulking” when you’re over 13-14% bodyfat generally isn’t a good idea unless you’re enhanced. Ratio of muscle to fat gain goes out the window.

15. Benesyed

Jesus my weight only fluctuates like 5-8lbs unless I've binged