1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

1. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Distinguished Member

Is there an option to get surgery given that you do weightlifting?

You could transition to calisthenics in the meantime?

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I shouldn't really tell you this, but with some hernias it's quite possible to just push it back in...Of course, the only people who tend to do that is surgeons themselves because of a mix of i) they're the ones who can fix it if they fuck up and b) if they can save themselves a trip to the OR they will do. Most GPs would much rather just refer to someone who has that mixture of confidence and expedience. Again, don't take that to mean that you should push it back in yourself. But it's maybe one of the few times when picking a reallllly busy surgeon might save you some time and money.

Also, for the future consider passing bowel motions squat/asian style or at the least having a stool that raises your feet and maintain a well-balanced diet eating plenty of fibre and fruit.

3. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

@penanceroyaltea that’s a good point. I didn’t ask specifically but the surgeon did know that I was taking time off from training and he knew I wanted to get back to it ASAP. I can probably call back and ask that question though.

@hendrix So I had been trying this already and didn’t seem to make any progress. I thought maybe there was some technique or nuance to it so I asked the surgeon and he did try to push it back in too. He said it’s pretty simple to do yourself though and if it’s a moderate hernia then it’s still going to pop back out anyway. In the end he didn’t make any progress either. So I’m wondering if the fact we couldn’t push it back in and it isn’t progressed enough to require surgery might mean that it’s just fluid at this point? And nothing has actually come through that opening.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Stylish Dinosaur

There's no strangulation risk if there's no intestine there. Should that happen, I think it would change things, but nothing in what OV said indicates that he has bowel present. You can have some fat pop out too from the hernia.

Could be wrong but...

Hendrix. Anyone can push it back in. It's called a reducible hernia. Not really a secret haha.

5. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Distinguished Member

Yeah but even if it’s reducible how’re you going to lift with that?

6. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

I’ve done two light, easy upper body sessions so far and I’m definitely aware of it. I need to raise my feet for any kind of pressing movement as any kind of floor drive is obviously going to put pressure on the abdomen. I have no fucking idea what to do for legs, so far I’ve just done high resistance on the bike and body weight split squats which were surprisingly ok.
    I think if I just stick to what I can do and make sure everything is super controlled then I can at least get some work in and not feel awful about myself.
    But I have got a second consult with another surgeon and a a gastroenterologist but it’s not until late January

7. gong

gong Senior Member

anybody here have a clue on deadlift programming? ran mag/ort to get a grindy 505, don't know how to progress any further. do not want to run mag/ort again.

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

@gong my general rec for all novice-intermediate lifters interested in powerlifting is TSA's intermediate program available free here http://thestrengthathlete.com/freebies/

It will serve you well until the 3x BW squat/2.25x BW bench/3.5x BW deadlift range.