• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you ever had a hernia before?
I’ve got an inguinal hernia but just get back from a consult and they said it’s not progressed enough to require surgery. Good news that I don’t need surgery but bad that I’m basically just waiting for it to get worse so they can work on it.
I haven’t been to the gym in a month (lost 15lbs) while I waited for this consult. Now I don’t know what to do.
I’m pretty confident that squats are out of the question, I don’t want to just be an upper body rat but think it might be my only option. After the consult I went to the gym and tried a few things and it seemed ok but I was going super light, not that that’s a bad thing.

Anyway, curious if anybody has been through it before? I feel like this is the shit old people go though.
Is there an option to get surgery given that you do weightlifting?

You could transition to calisthenics in the meantime?

hendrix

Ill-proportioned
Reaction score
Have any of you ever had a hernia before?
I’ve got an inguinal hernia but just get back from a consult and they said it’s not progressed enough to require surgery. Good news that I don’t need surgery but bad that I’m basically just waiting for it to get worse so they can work on it.
I haven’t been to the gym in a month (lost 15lbs) while I waited for this consult. Now I don’t know what to do.
I’m pretty confident that squats are out of the question, I don’t want to just be an upper body rat but think it might be my only option. After the consult I went to the gym and tried a few things and it seemed ok but I was going super light, not that that’s a bad thing.

Anyway, curious if anybody has been through it before? I feel like this is the shit old people go though.
I shouldn't really tell you this, but with some hernias it's quite possible to just push it back in...Of course, the only people who tend to do that is surgeons themselves because of a mix of i) they're the ones who can fix it if they fuck up and b) if they can save themselves a trip to the OR they will do. Most GPs would much rather just refer to someone who has that mixture of confidence and expedience. Again, don't take that to mean that you should push it back in yourself. But it's maybe one of the few times when picking a reallllly busy surgeon might save you some time and money.

Also, for the future consider passing bowel motions squat/asian style or at the least having a stool that raises your feet and maintain a well-balanced diet eating plenty of fibre and fruit.

OccultaVexillum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@penanceroyaltea that’s a good point. I didn’t ask specifically but the surgeon did know that I was taking time off from training and he knew I wanted to get back to it ASAP. I can probably call back and ask that question though.

@hendrix So I had been trying this already and didn’t seem to make any progress. I thought maybe there was some technique or nuance to it so I asked the surgeon and he did try to push it back in too. He said it’s pretty simple to do yourself though and if it’s a moderate hernia then it’s still going to pop back out anyway. In the end he didn’t make any progress either. So I’m wondering if the fact we couldn’t push it back in and it isn’t progressed enough to require surgery might mean that it’s just fluid at this point? And nothing has actually come through that opening.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's no strangulation risk if there's no intestine there. Should that happen, I think it would change things, but nothing in what OV said indicates that he has bowel present. You can have some fat pop out too from the hernia.

Could be wrong but...

Hendrix. Anyone can push it back in. It's called a reducible hernia. Not really a secret haha.

OccultaVexillum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve done two light, easy upper body sessions so far and I’m definitely aware of it. I need to raise my feet for any kind of pressing movement as any kind of floor drive is obviously going to put pressure on the abdomen. I have no fucking idea what to do for legs, so far I’ve just done high resistance on the bike and body weight split squats which were surprisingly ok.
I think if I just stick to what I can do and make sure everything is super controlled then I can at least get some work in and not feel awful about myself.
But I have got a second consult with another surgeon and a a gastroenterologist but it’s not until late January

gong

Reaction score
anybody here have a clue on deadlift programming? ran mag/ort to get a grindy 505, don't know how to progress any further. do not want to run mag/ort again.

Zeke90

Reaction score
does anyone else work an odd schedule or night shift and try to make the best of their programming? I work an overnight shift in the hospital just 3 days a week. I dont do all 3 back to back but it can be tough getting through the workout post shift if the programming for the day requires higher intensity

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. You'll just plateau, grind your joints, and get too fat for fashunz (tm)

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha sometimes you just gotta make the best of it. Adjust intensity and volume according to fatigue / RPE. Being inflexible wrt to programming is the surest way to injury.

Zeke90

Reaction score
luckily most of the high volume stuff is the beginning of the week and the saturdays are heavy triples. Might have to adjust some more as the program intensity gets higher. Maybe some creatine will help.. lol

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone else work an odd schedule or night shift and try to make the best of their programming? I work an overnight shift in the hospital just 3 days a week. I dont do all 3 back to back but it can be tough getting through the workout post shift if the programming for the day requires higher intensity
I work 10pm - 6am. I've also been traveling for a full year now. I do 3x a week 5/3/1 powerlifting focused. I find this program to be really easy modified to how I feel. If I feel like shit I do my main sets and leave, if I feel like really shit I don't even go and just push the day out, if I feel great I push the volume and intensity in the accessories.

Why do people go to the gym 5x a week unless they are a pro is beyond me. I've been doing the slow and steady and it works.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
luckily most of the high volume stuff is the beginning of the week and the saturdays are heavy triples. Might have to adjust some more as the program intensity gets higher. Maybe some creatine will help.. lol
Creatine is the most useful sports nutrition supplement by far

@Coldsnap 5/3/1 and rep PRs are fun but the volume/frequency wasn't enough for me to progress once I got to an elite total. And that was with running my own variations that quintupled the volume.

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creatine is the most useful sports nutrition supplement by far

@Coldsnap 5/3/1 and rep PRs are fun but the volume/frequency wasn't enough for me to progress once I got to an elite total. And that was with running my own variations that quintupled the volume.
Ah yea. I do agree. I've been in the same place. Had to go into a higher volume program once my numbers were high. That was five days a week though and pretty miserable. I just do 5/3/1 now to stay gym bro strong and un-injured, cycle in / out accessory work on body parts I want to grow or weak points as they pop up.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.