1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Thanks, guys. This is news I can use. I appreciate the suggestions, Hendrix, as those are all things I can do at home. :fistbump:

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

I don't think there's much I can add to what has been said. Why I said that was primarily because of his preaching style of teaching things, which he actually often does incorrectly, as is the case with him teaching weightlifting movements. I don't recommend anyone the book since you can do a lot better by actually going for a coach that is legit.

3. Dandy_dapper

Dandy_dapper Senior Member

All biceps! :)

4. Big Pun

Big Pun Distinguished Member

Dealing with the worst sciatic pain of my life. I can't really do any exercise besides walking and biking. Anyone get over this affliction?

5. Reggs

Reggs Distinguished Member

Been doing barbell hip thrusts. By far the best glute workout I've tried. I use the barbell pad when I do these. It's a regular part of my leg day now.

[​IMG]

6. Best Budz

Best Budz Senior Member

I’m considering going on a bulk for the next 3 months (my first one). Do you guys have a basic split of macros that you’d recommend? I’m 5’11”, 168 lbs for reference, thx

7. msg

msg Distinguished Member

Any pointers to latest treatment approach for inflammation/tendonitis ? I hurt my wrist about 4 months ago doing push-ups and one arm plank. The spot that hurts is tiny, 1/4 inch long, on the inside of the wrist, near the thumb tendon. Nothing else hurts, just this tiny spot. It’s a persistent low level of pain, like a 3/10. Haven’t had much luck with a PT. And there’s a ton of conflicting info out there. Would love to know what’s the latest on how to treat.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

@msg that sucks. I have a slight pain in the outside of my left wrist, tweaked it doing barbell bench press I believe. Pain is not high but noticeable. Hurts when I perform curls so I have to be really strict with my form. I’d be interested to hear anything from this thread. For the time being I’m just working through it. I thought about a wrist brace.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Stylish Dinosaur

What's good RHET bro's? @GraphicNovelty , you still hurr?

I'm turning 30 in march and I want to make a pretty big health push for that milestone. I also start residency this summer, so I need to have a decent base of fitness so things don't go to total shit while I'm in training.

Over the last year and a half or so, I've been doing IF pretty steadily and been trying to get to the gym 2-4 times a week depending on schedule. The next 4 months are pretty solid for getting a solid workout schedule going so I'm hoping to make the most of it.

What I've been doing lately.

Cardio
    Erg: Been doing an 'endurance' paced 10k a couple of times a week. Takes about 45 mins and cutting that down. I watch an episode of breaking bad while rowing haha.
    Spin bike: 45-90 mins on a bike while watching an episode or two of breaking bad (sense a theme?). I vary the resistance a bit through the workout. I used to bike race, so I have shorts etc.

Lifting

No set schedule yet, but I need to develop one. I've had back surgery twice so I'm nervous about heavy bar work. I tried deads again recently and it didn't feel good at all. Light front squats have been okay.

Things I do.

Usually a chest/back and a leg/shoulder day because I was coming 2-4 times a week, this worked out okay. I usually do supersets or circuits when training to be a bit more efficient. I like the idea of doing higher volume on a couple of exercises because that worked really well for me in the past.

Chest/back
    DB bench superset with DB rows. 5x10 or so.
    Then machine rows and machine flys, again 5x10 or so.
    sometimes I'll add pullups and incline bench, but that's mostly it.

Shoulder/Leg
    Circuit of bulgarian split squats (40lb db's x10), db lateral raises, face pulls, and seated db military press (up to 60lb dbs x10). I'll add a few of the machines for hip extension etc, if I have time. I also do regular split squats and started adding back light front squats.

Core: cable crunches, pallof press, planks, etc.

In terms of other stuff, I'm thinking about joining a climbing gym for the time I have left in school.

Diet wise, things are actually pretty good. I tend to make salads for dinner, have a protein shake, eat veggies and meats, and do things mostly okay. I do like beer, so I'll have an IPA most nights, but I try to limit things because that's like 300 calories. I don't go out crazy drinking every weeks. I'll have like 3-5 drinks in a night once or twice a month if I'm out with friends, but that's pretty rare because I'm a fucking lightweight lol.

In terms of goals: I'm 5'10 and weigh about 170-175ish right now, probably on the lower end of that. I don't want to gain a ton of weight because that makes climbing a lot less fun. I'm not looking to get huge, but it'd be nice to be a bit more defined. Yeah, I know there's a lot of genetics and diet in there, but I have 4 months to figure this shit out so why not try. If I end up with visible abs at the end of this, it would be fucking awesome.

Mostly, I'm looking to get more organized and a routine I can keep at 4-7x a week during the next few months because I have the time. Back in like 2015 or so I was 185 lbs and pretty big for me relatively speaking and I'm not looking to get back there again. I'm guessing I should probably start coupling my cardio days with core work instead of trying to do cardio and lifting on the same days, right?

sorry for the long fucking post.

Might have to start doing these with the barbell or smith machine depending on what's open. Guessing it's going to be obnoxious to do on the SM.

10. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

What residency? Honestly even in nsgy I managed to gym 3 sessions a week. Diet is what killed me and I'm not recovering from. Real prep is key

11. ridethecliche

I'm doing psych. Realistically, I should have enough time for 3-4 days in the gym each week other than a few months of intern year with medicine and the month or so of night float early in residency.

12. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

meal prep*

13. ridethecliche

I'm not super worried about that aspect of things. I don't really graze like a lot of people do and I tend to avoid all the junk food shit that people leave out. I carried a couple of clif bars in my white coat on services where I was going to be crazy busy.

I like my junk food to be fucking awesome if I'm going to go for it lol.

14. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

Have any of you ever had a hernia before?
    I’ve got an inguinal hernia but just get back from a consult and they said it’s not progressed enough to require surgery. Good news that I don’t need surgery but bad that I’m basically just waiting for it to get worse so they can work on it.
    I haven’t been to the gym in a month (lost 15lbs) while I waited for this consult. Now I don’t know what to do.
    I’m pretty confident that squats are out of the question, I don’t want to just be an upper body rat but think it might be my only option. After the consult I went to the gym and tried a few things and it seemed ok but I was going super light, not that that’s a bad thing.

Anyway, curious if anybody has been through it before? I feel like this is the shit old people go though.

15. hooker4186

hooker4186 Distinguished Member

I've had multiple inguinal hernias (none related to weightlifting and all of them before I really did much weightlifting at all).

The thing about any lifting is that whatever you do requires some engagement of your abdominal wall, even if it's not something super intense like squats or deads. The engagement of the core in lifting (or any exercise really - by the time I had my second and third ones fixed even walking was painful) creates a risk of further tearing the abdominal wall, which I was told may lead to strangulation which would require an emergency repair.

To that end, I'm surprised that they said it's not bad enough to fix - hernias don't heal without surgery and the strangulation risk is present even in "not too bad ones" so I don't really understand why they would want to wait for it to get worse before fixing it.