1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

brb taking my furosemide before hanging out at the beach :facepalm:

Also whoever said Rippletits is irrelevant is absolutely correct.

2. colabear

colabear Distinguished Member

Can anybody recommend an exercise routine for saggy buttocks? Thanks

3. SandraVaged

SandraVaged Member

How do you convince yourself to go to the gym during the summer when you can run outside?

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

Haha, that's pretty great, but I get the idea.

20-60 minutes of yoga 3 times a week building to five times a week, eat fewer than 2000 calories a day.

There are tons of poses that work the glutes, so it should be basic in most programs. Yoga Studio is my favorite app.

5. SandraVaged

SandraVaged Member

I also found this website today - 'AloMoves' and I will check the videos more carefully after work - I hope it will help you

6. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

What makes you say that. Not that i disagree just urious what context and what prompted that shit.

I love weight training.

7. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

Somebody posted a Rippetoe video “why you shouldn’t be running.” That is what prompted it. Clickbaity articles like that do a lot of damage to newbies who don’t know any better.

The tl;dr version of all this is that fairly recently Rippetoe has gone full-on authoritarian, and dismisses any programming that isn’t his own. He especially hates RPE-based programming (despite the fact that his own coaches prescribe it for clients). Plus there have been very public rifts between Rip and the strongest and best (former) Starting Strength coaches that have shown what a vindictive asshole he is.

His logic is shit. He constantly contradicts himself. It’s easy to buy into the rhetoric, but once you actually get past the novice LP, you realize his programming methods just don’t work for most people. (Hopefully you realize this before you fat fuck yourself or grind yourself into the ground constantly attempting limit sets.)

But really, the best argument is this: a great teacher should have many successful students. Rip does not. He talks a good game, but he doesn’t have the results to back up the talk.

8. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

I'm the one who posted that Rippetoe video on running. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, and like @Van Veen , I don't like how dogmatic and curmudgeonly Rip has become. He's always been that way to an extent, but it's gotten really bad in the past year and I've lost a lot of respect for him. Starting Strength is still a great book and program for the right demographic, and I'd definitely recommend it to a new lifter over some "fluff and pump" routine.

That said, I really don't pay attention to Rippetoe these days, but I do really like some of the content and coaches that have branched away from SS, particularly the Barbell Medicine guys.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Colabear was asking about butts, which reminds me: I’m thinking about getting a hex bar. Apparently, you can perform squats and deadlifts, depending on the way you position yourself.

It would seem to alleviate my biggest roadblocks to doing these exercises: leaving home, buying a full squat rack, having to exercise in the garage (it’s 109 this week), and all the nuisance and uncertainty of form when trying to squat and deadlift with a traditional bar.

I’m guessing I won’t get the full benefit of each exercise, but that’s fine; I don’t do them now, and just want to add a huge compound movement, and make my legs a little bigger.

Any reason why I shouldn’t?

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

No reason not to. Hex bar deadlifts are a good exercise and great for back and posterior strength.

I don't think it's gonna be great for building your legs though - I'd suggest augmenting your workouts to include a few variations on dumbbell lunges, pistol squats, sprints as a supplement if you're wanting to work out with a hex bar and without a squat rack.

11. Van Veen

Rippetoe is basically at war with Barbell Medicine now. Anyone that doesn’t buy into the dogma 100% (at least publically) has been exiled.

12. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

That's unfortunate, but I don't doubt it. Feigenbaum and Baraki were huge for the SS brand and lent it a lot of credibility. Their departure probably means SS is taking quite a hit as a business, and I'm sure Rip is pissed. Part of me wants to hear more of the gossip and drama, part of me doesn't give a crap.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

@noob in 89 hex bars are a solid thing to have around. I deadlifted on one elusively for about a full year to give my lower back a much needed break.

14. Van Veen

I used to read that board and post form checks/log so I’ve been following a little. (I quit when the political echo chamber spread to the training discussions.)

The dissent began bubbling to the surface when they posted this video without comment:

It really went downhill fast when they started offering online coaching (which appears to be a cash cow). BBM already offered their own online coaching, so they became competitors.

This article was a shot across BBM’s bow. Essentially Rip’s developed a theoretical framework that seems logical on paper, but doesn’t work in reality (maybe because we barely understand the human body).

15. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Hexbar deadlifts will put a lot more load on your quads than traditional deadlifts so if leg size is your goal they're a decent sub for your equipment limitations.

Rippetoe is the high school gym teacher of strength coaches.