Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

No, this doesn't happen.

2. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Just "kicked off" my summer cut by having norovirus last week and losing 4kg of weight over 5 days. Took that as inspiration to actual start dieting for real now, seeing as I have zero cravings for food currently. Jumped straight into EC and tracking macros again.

Didn't make it to six pack abs in over a year, I wonder if I'll pull through this time.

3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Right. Low-carb != ketogenic. Ketogenic is high fat(~80%), low protein(~20%), and very low carb(trace <50g). I did not specify because I assume the audience of this thread aren't laymen. I'm probably mistaken.

There are several adaptations throughout the body - primarily in the liver - that result from a ketogenic diet. Measureable upregulation of everything involved in the generation, transport, and oxidization of ketones+fatty acids. You are correct there is no huge change in overall biochemistry. Any "huge" change in overall biochemistry would result in, well, death.

I recognize the carelessness in my wording when I stated "preferentially oxidize fat." TLDR your liver and skeletal muscle will always primarily use glucose if available in abundance. Glucose is more "efficient."

But, when on a keto diet, substrate utilization, measured via RER and blood metabolites, change significantly as shown in the literature(for over 30 years). In sub-maximal exercise fatty acids and ketones become the primary substrates oxidized.

Who's claiming carbohydrates are highly dangerous? Can it be dangerous? Depends on the person. AGEs etc that can and do result from chronic high blood glucose levels and are implicated in the pathophysiology of vascular disease are dangerous. Will all high carbohydrates diet results in chronic high blood glucose levels and AGEs? No. Administration of diet and individual biochemistry is too varied to make generalizations and making generalizations, in general(ha), is bad practice.

The magnitude by which blood glucose deviates on a ketogenic diet varies case-by-case. A quick scan of epilepsy research has recorded blood glucose in the 30s, 70s, and 90s, while on a ketogenic diet. However, blood glucose remains stable compared to non-ketogenic diet(duh) even when energy providing substrate is severely restricted.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Wow. I'm a layperson, I guess.

Ive seen at least a few high-profile internet doctors recommending a ketogenic diet as something that will train your body to burn fat over glucose, so it's good to hear that's not the case, I guess. (50g sounded like a scary low amount).

I guess I'll fall back on the old Mediterranean-ish eating plan, as that seems to be healthy without any risk.

What about the older advice concerning exercise and slow vs fast twitch muscle fibers, I wonder... That was the big thing in my youth, with people like Covert Bailey suggesting weight lifting with an eye toward increasing slower twitch fibers if your goal was to become a better fat-burning machine.

5. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

i just drank some BCAA powder which came with the pack of whey protein i bought. i nearly GAGGED. wtf is this stuff?!

6. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Yup.

True ketogenic diets do indeed replicate the biochemistry shift that occurs when you're actually starving. The body makes ketones from fats because that's the only fuel it can make for the brain.

High fat high protein low carb diets aren't significantly different from normal diets in that blood is pretty comparable...The higher protein makes this an inevitability because we have gluconeogenesis.

I think for any diet, the best way to control insulin and blood glucose spikes is to therefore not eat processed carbs, but not worry about consuming the healthy carbs present in whole foods.