Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Just got back from the hospital,

fucking

pounds

Just 1 week and lost 15 fucking pounds from the fucking chinese who didn't have a place to shit so he did it in my food, all the time and effort I put in working my ass off at the gym in the last 4 months, paying out the ass to import protein powder to this fucking country, all fucking gone in 1 week. now excuse me as I go back to the bathroom for the 20th time to shit water and blood.

One more day on the IV and it should improve they said.

Just fluids and waste bro... you didn't waste enough (any?) muscle in 7 days. You'll get it back.

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

For some reason my biceps are the only muscles that never get sore after a workout. Maybe I'm not working them enough?

Once again- soreness is NOT an effective indicator of the quality of a workout. Muscles often get sore reacting to change. And for small muscles that get used a lot every day, it's not often/easy for most people to affect pain in them.

3. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

Once again- soreness is NOT an effective indicator of the quality of a workout. Muscles often get sore reacting to change. And for small muscles that get used a lot every day, it's not often/easy for most people to affect pain in them.

In a roundabout way you answered his question. He may not be getting sore because he is using the same excercises and perhaps has plateaued.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

In a roundabout way you answered his question. He may not be getting sore because he is using the same excercises and perhaps has plateaued.

Maybe- but you just shouldn't count on DOMs to measure effectiveness of a workout.

The bicep is a small muscle, it gets used everyday and frequently.

I change-up my routine every week. I have not had significant DOMS in my bi's for ages, even after supersets/trisets, pyramids, partials etc. They may feel tired over the next 36 hours but that is about it.

Supplements and diet matter as well, of course.

5. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

Maybe- but you just shouldn't count on DOMs to measure effectiveness of a workout.

The bicep is a small muscle, it gets used everyday and frequently.

I change-up my routine every week. I have not had significant DOMS in my bi's for ages, even after supersets/trisets, pyramids, partials etc. They may feel tired over the next 36 hours but that is about it.

Supplements and diet matter as well, of course.

On second thought, I think you are on to something there. My biceps do seem to get less sore than other muscle groups, such as chest and in particular shoulders. And I think I work out my biceps as much as any other muscle group.

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I've decided I am going to work on building up my chin up endurance. I'm not 100% sure how I am going to balance that with my other lifting, but a 'grease the groove' approach is the only one that works for chin ups, I think, so that will be the method. The impetus for this is that I find it completely amazing that so many people casually imply they perform 10 sets of 10 chins. Today, that is just wildly out of my reach while a chin up is relatively easy.

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

On second thought, I think you are on to something there. My biceps do seem to get less sore than other muscle groups, such as chest and in particular shoulders. And I think I work out my biceps as much as any other muscle group.

Plus you hit them on many other exercises, if indirectly. Heck, you even engage them in seated leg extensions depending on how you do them.

8. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

10 set of 10 chins... in how long?

I can do 4+ sets of 10 chins with 2 minutes rest, I know I can do at least 4 sets of 10 pullups with 2 minutes rest too. The trick I think is to be able to do 15-20 reps of pullups/chinups in one set. After you can do that, doing 10 doesn't fatigue you much.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I've decided I am going to work on building up my chin up endurance. I'm not 100% sure how I am going to balance that with my other lifting, but a 'grease the groove' approach is the only one that works for chin ups, I think, so that will be the method. The impetus for this is that I find it completely amazing that so many people casually imply they perform 10 sets of 10 chins. Today, that is just wildly out of my reach while a chin up is relatively easy.

Have you thought about just doing negatives? Use a high step or bench etc to ease the kip up then do slow negatives only. [​IMG]

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

10 set of 10 chins... in how long?
    The trick I think is to be able to do 15-20 reps of pullups/chinups in one set. After you can do that, doing 10 doesn't fatigue you much.

Agreed.

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Gotcha, thanks. My perception is a bit skewed because I only currently do chins at the end of a near complete 5x5 work out and tend to be fatigued. As a goal, I would like to be able to do a set of 20, as I feel my endurance during overhead presses would be improved. I also think weighted chins or just chin endurance will improve my shoulder health and appearance.

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Chins aren't going to help your shoulders much. It primarily targets your lats, your mid-back, biceps and forearms.

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Gotcha, thanks. My perception is a bit skewed because I only currently do chins at the end of a near complete 5x5 work out and tend to be fatigued. As a goal, I would like to be able to do a set of 20, as I feel my endurance during overhead presses would be improved. I also think weighted chins or just chin endurance will improve my shoulder health and appearance.

do pullups/chinups first. that's what i do.

i actually have no idea how many sets i could do of 10 reps, since i do weighted pullups 5x5.

14. KenN

KenN Senior member

Question:

How does one determine the optimal number of repetitions to perform for a particular exercise? Do different muscle groups respond better to different loading and stresses?

15. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

Try setting a rep goal each workout instead of a set goal. Pick a number like 50 pullups and then take as many sets as needed to reach your target number. Next time tr to reduce the number of sets by increasing each set of by one or two reps. Keep at it and soon you'll have your 20 rep set.