Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. brokejew

brokejew Active Member

any one here have sucess with leangains? i feel like a few of you have and was wondering how hard the diet shift was from your old ways to fasting till noon?

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

any one here have sucess with leangains? i feel like a few of you have and was wondering how hard the diet shift was from your old ways to fasting till noon?
    You basically skip breakfast. Def makes eating easier. I won't call it successful until I go through my cut with it.

3. brokejew

brokejew Active Member

yea i got that, im so damn hungry in the AM i was wondering if the recommened 10G of BCAA really helped or if your sitting around dying with hunger till lunch, but most likely just going to have to try it myself.

4. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

You get used to it. I thought I could never lift in the morning without eating something. Then I found that I could lift just fine on a cup of black coffee. I still have a protein shake at around 8am and a spoon of peanut butter, but I could easily go without it. Caffeine is your friend - it blunts hunger and pretty soon you get used to not eating in the morning.

5. ramp

ramp Senior member

I'm on my first day of Leangains. 1 more hour till first meal[​IMG]

Still working out the details, but I think a change would be really good for me as I've gained more fat than I'd like with my previous diet. How many calories should I eat if I want to "recomp?" I've seen numbers like maintenance+20% on workout days, maintenance-20% on non-workout days. Does that seem right?

6. brokejew

brokejew Active Member

You get used to it. I thought I could never lift in the morning without eating something. Then I found that I could lift just fine on a cup of black coffee. I still have a protein shake at around 8am and a spoon of peanut butter, but I could easily go without it. Caffeine is your friend - it blunts hunger and pretty soon you get used to not eating in the morning.

thanks man, that's encouraging. I lift at night so it would be noon/pre/post eating but i think imma try it out next month.

7. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Those EliteFTS videos on the squat and bench have been a godsend for me. I think I'm finally getting out of my rut w. Starting Strength.

Now I just need to focus on upping sleep, calories and keeping an accurate, consistent journal.

8. gort

gort Senior member

I'm on my first day of Leangains. 1 more hour till first meal[​IMG] Still working out the details, but I think a change would be really good for me as I've gained more fat than I'd like with my previous diet. How many calories should I eat if I want to "recomp?" I've seen numbers like maintenance+20% on workout days, maintenance-20% on non-workout days. Does that seem right?
    It will get easier. Remember they say Diet Soda and Black Coffee with artificial sweetener are ok during your fast. I'm already seeing some results after a week of leangains. Stronger than I've been in a long time thanks to iron addicts SPBR and abs looked great this morning. Got roughly 6 weeks until vacation. Who would've thought style forum would have its own little fitness gold mine? [​IMG]

9. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

As long as you hide in this thread [​IMG]

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I gained 15 lbs of muscle and doubled all of my lifts since joining SF (0). And this is after working out for a couple years.

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

+1. Likely under eating. But a sandwich can be 200cals or 1500..

Totally this. Figure out your current daily intake. Are you eating 1 or 3 servings of cornflakes in that bowl? Are you using 1/2 cu skim milk or 2 cups whole? This shit matters.

12. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Swam for the first time today after 3 years been absent from the pool. Definitely a lot harder than I've remembered.

13. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I did curls and tricep pushdowns today... first time in like a year. Please don't shun me. [​IMG]

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I'm on my first day of Leangains. 1 more hour till first meal[​IMG]

Still working out the details, but I think a change would be really good for me as I've gained more fat than I'd like with my previous diet. How many calories should I eat if I want to "recomp?" I've seen numbers like maintenance+20% on workout days, maintenance-20% on non-workout days. Does that seem right?

I think for a recomp you wanna basically hover just above maintenance

I think a safe spread between on and off days is like 1000 cals. So on days you'd do 1000 more calories than off days. The actual calories depend on the number of days you work out. Every additional workout day, if you have that 1000 cal spread, would be another ~150 calories/day. When you put it on paper it's all pretty clear.

15. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Critique my squat form plz?

Thanks SF!

Besides sitting back, like everybody's mentioned, you have a good 4-5 inches left to complete the squat. I used to do the same thing, posted a couple videos here and got railed, then watched every squat video on youtube and fixed it. Had to drop about 100 lbs too. Now my squat is just a bit higher than my bench press, but I feel better knowing that my reps count.