Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. blondieyo

blondieyo New Member

I guess seeing as it's been summer over here i've been eating a little less now that I think of it. I still eat as much, if not more, than most people I know. Heading into winter now though so I guess i'll up the food intake.

2. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Post a typical workout- we can help you more with that.

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Something weird is happening with my deadlift

My lower back is fine. But my legs are giving out as I get close to the end of a set. I start w/bent knees and can't get it off the ground. I think that means my form is getting better, but unfortunately it means my legs are not up to snuff, and I really don't want to grow them anymore as my thighs are like 26-27" now

This is the 2nd week I've done 3x385, down from 6x385, but admittedly it's at a new gym so the bar might be heavier (it is noticeably thicker). I might cut back to 365-375 on my top set so I can rebuild some momentum.

What's the deal? Is my form off or am I gonna have to grow my legs to get to 405??? I'm gonna ramp up the eating too, have been kinda hovering just above maintenance.

Looks like I got killed by a new page... anybody?

I have no DOMS... I am gonna try DLs at my old gym one last time and if I'm able to get 6x385 there I'll know its a matter of heavier weights at the new place. Already went through this w/dumbbells [​IMG]

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

you should always be working on your legs..

to help your power off the floor, switch to deficit deadlifts for a while.

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Squatting 250 today, down nice and low when... pop pop pop from my left hip flexor

fucking shit

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Critique my squat form plz? Thanks SF!

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

you should always be working on your legs..

to help your power off the floor, switch to deficit deadlifts for a while.

I do squats, I'm squatting about 3x8x285 now. Will get wifey to record my form GN style. Might throw in some leg presses on my leg day too

Squatting 250 today, down nice and low when... pop pop pop from my left hip flexor

fucking shit

Shit man what happened???? You down for the count???

Critique my squat form plz?

Thanks SF!

Looks good, you get horizontal, back is straight... honestly looks like you can throw on another 20# if you go a little slower, but I guess this was a vid for form

8. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I can tell you're not pushing from your heels, you're in a front-loaded posture. You almost fall forward near the end. Also, sit back a little more, make your butt the first thing that goes back going down, and the first thing that goes forward as you go up.
    Shit man what happened???? You down for the count???
    I don't know... didn't warm up right? It hurt but got all macho (generally a stupid thing) and finished the next two sets. I think it's just strained, but right now it hurts like hell. I'm going to just do 135 3x10 next time to get some blood flowing there and help it heal, hope it will be enough as I have no clue how serious it is.

9. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

GN, I thought form looked good. Your upper body was tilting forward a bit on the last 2 reps. That's going to put a bit more torque on your lower back. See if you can focus on sticking your ass out and keeping upper body upright through the last reps.

10. GraphicNovelty

Thanks. I really have to work on the glute/hamstring activation. The "push through your heels cue" sometimes works but not always--in fact, that's what makes me lean forward.

11. mrchariybrown

Critique my squat form plz? Thanks SF!
    get down deeper. besides that, you have the same problem I have sometimes.. you're way quad dominant. you're going down and putting most of the off the balls of your feet. ass back first, then bend at your knees.

12. GraphicNovelty

^and going up? just remember to "push through the heels?" or is there some other thing to do to make sure i activate my glutes/hams?

13. mrchariybrown

^and going up? just remember to "push through the heels?" or is there some other thing to do to make sure i activate my glutes/hams?

it's the going up and down part. as long as you go back with your ass first and then bend at your knees, you should fix your problem. squatting the way you do is also making it harder to get deep.

don't think I'm judging you too harsh neither. I'm in the exact same boat right now and am actually in the process of fixing it again right now.

14. GraphicNovelty

No harshness detected. After all, I didn't put up the vid to get told that my form was awesome show great job!

But yes, when i try to go deep i do the opposite of "tucking" my butt (it's almost like i'm presenting lol) and it puts a lot of stress my lower back. I'll try sitting back with my butt more.

15. mrchariybrown

yeah, I know the feeling you're talking about. try pointing your elbows towards the ground more.. it'll help with keeping your body more upright and put you in a better position at the bottom so you don't have to "good morning" the weight up.

I hate good mornings -__-