Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. APK

APK Senior member

From what I understand, the movement (with barbells) makes the shoulders prone to impingement.
    I was glad to read that, since I had always found the movement incredibly uncomfortable.

edit: HA! We obviously read the same article, sonick.

2. theom-

theom- Senior member

Getting tired of strength training too, might switch to a hypertrophy program for a bit. My over head press has been going up rapidly without any real increase in shoulder size. Thinking of doing this for 3x8 except pull ups and dips, which Ill just do 3 sets of and deadlifts, which ill keep at 5x5 because I like them. Shouldn't really have a problem with fatigue, I didn't really like starting strength because I was only tired for a few hours after. I'm eating about 4000-5000 calories a day and around 300-400 grams of protein so recovery shouldn't be a problem.

A
    Bench press
    Dumbbell incline press
    Dips
    Dumbbell over head press
    Dumbbell over head press twists
    Upright rows
    Skull Crushers

B
    Pull ups
    Bent over barbell row
    Dumbbell row
    Cable row
    Dumbbell curls
    Front squats
    dead lifts

300-400 g of protein is too much, and stresses your kidneys quite a bit. 1g/lb of bodyweight/day is sufficient and more will do little for you. Also, imo, i would reduce the number of exercises you have, might start to mess with recovery.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

[​IMG]

today was supposed to be a good diet day. keeping my calories in check..

i stop by a certain desk that had basket ful of those Smarties roll candies from halloween.
    no body touches them but they are my favorite.

i grab a few like 8 of these and i start munching on them. shouldnt be any more than Tic Tac calories i assume...

dam!
    100 calories a poP! [​IMG] [​IMG]

i think i just ingested 800 calories in 5 minutes
    [​IMG]

4. APK

APK Senior member

300-400 g of protein is too much, and stresses your kidneys quite a bit. 1g/lb of bodyweight/day is sufficient and more will do little for you.

The very first part of this is subjective and the rest of it is totally wrong.

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

To get less then that I'd have to drastically change what I eat. I'm not like force feeding myself to get that much protein, its just my diet is pretty much entirely fish, meat or eggs. The only carbs I had today were 2 pieces of toast, 2 bannanas and a tomato, other then that it was just smoked fish, pork and bacon. I don't think I'd get any more muscle or strength gains if I cut out some of the protein and ate carbs instead. Ill give the upright rows a go with dumbbells and a relatively low weight because Ill be doing them after overhead press anyway, if it hurts at all Ill stop it.

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Fooj please post meal plan. I have trouble hitting 300g on a 3500 calorie day w/a 75g shake.

7. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

I have trouble hitting 250g right now with shakes. But I'm stressed as fuck right now and my appetite is suffering.

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I've gone from 300-375g of protein a day to 200-250g protein a day and gains have not halted and I feel much healthy and overall in a better state of mind [​IMG]

9. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Took care of 275g yesterday (not counting whatever i get from BCAA's). Ate 230g in one sitting post workout. [​IMG]

10. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I'm with Chariy on this.

11. theom-

theom- Senior member

Carbs are needed in strength training as anaerobic workouts will use glucose as fuel. You do not get energy as quickly from fat, which is consumed for endurance and aerobic exercise. Carbs = glucose, basic biology. http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/energysystems.html http://stronglifts.com/atkins-diet-fat-loss-weight/ http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/s...d_Strength.htm And unless you are getting a majority of protein from powder (which isn't healthy because it lacks fat, fiber, minerals, etc.), to eat 360g of protein per day you'd need to eat roughly a kilo of lean beef (one of the most protein rich foods). I'm sorry but I lift 4x a week and swim 3 x a week and that still doesn't sound feesible to me. I'd really like to see where it says that you must have 2+g/lb of body weight for optimum gains. http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...in-protein.php Most sources recommend between 1 and 2 g per KG of body weight, notice how in the original post I said 1g/lb. Here Here Here Here Do you think that the jacked guys in prison across the US have access to 300-400g of protein a day, let alone protein powders? http://stronglifts.com/prison-guys-b...ining-lessons/ Basically more protein \\= more muscle, more nutritious calories = more muscle.

12. APK

APK Senior member

I saw little change in body comp while eating 1g/lb. Upping that to 1.5, however, has yielded noticeable results in little time. I myself can't imagine consuming 300 grams of protein a day, but if fuji is in the 150 pound area, he's pretty much hitting 2g/lb, which seems to be the ceiling in terms of what's considered the most effective.

13. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Something weird is happening with my deadlift My lower back is fine. But my legs are giving out as I get close to the end of a set. I start w/bent knees and can't get it off the ground. I think that means my form is getting better, but unfortunately it means my legs are not up to snuff, and I really don't want to grow them anymore as my thighs are like 26-27" now This is the 2nd week I've done 3x385, down from 6x385, but admittedly it's at a new gym so the bar might be heavier (it is noticeably thicker). I might cut back to 365-375 on my top set so I can rebuild some momentum. What's the deal? Is my form off or am I gonna have to grow my legs to get to 405??? I'm gonna ramp up the eating too, have been kinda hovering just above maintenance.

14. theom-

theom- Senior member

I saw little change in body comp while eating 1g/lb. Upping that to 1.5, however, has yielded noticeable results in little time. I myself can't imagine consuming 300 grams of protein a day, but if fuji is in the 150 pound area, he's pretty much hitting 2g/lb, which seems to be the ceiling in terms of what's considered the most effective.

I don't doubt that, but when you increase your protein intake you were eating more calories right? I would be very surprised if you just upped your protein intake with powders and were seeing noticeable gains without eating many more calories.

15. APK

APK Senior member

Actually, no. I've been doing a recomp the last several months that has me eating below maintenance all but one day a week.

There are so many variables when it comes to nutrition and lifting that it becomes a daunting task pinning down what you can attribute success and failures to. From my own experiences, though, 1.5g/lb has a noticeable difference than 1g/lb.