1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

This sort of reminds me of how it's like to deal with my mother. When I argue a point with her, and she no longer can make a valid counterargument, she'll resort to critisizing how I argue to detract from the actual point of discussion, and no longer consider the validity or actual content of what it is I'm saying. It's really a sickening tactic. I'm not trying to tell anyone that I'm right and that they are wrong. It would just be nice to get a response that addresses something I've said, instead of resorting to "tl;dr", or "God! Shut up!!". It's kind of childish.

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I'm not trying to force my argument; I have no agenda other than trying to make people think a bit differently than what you've grown to believe from the conventional wisdom you've been taught, which is forced. I am open to hearing what other people have to say. Try finding a post I've made where I've told someone to "shut up" because they might not think the same way I do on a certain matter. I am completely open to discussion.
    I put it like this mman. You rally against simple carbs and say they are the sole source of obesity or whatever. But Martin Berkhan has been hovering around 6-8% BF while regularly indulging in entire cheesecakes. And plenty of people have remained at perfectly healthy weights + respectable levels of leanness w/o completely cutting out simple carbs. So everyone is at a loss as to the value of the "alternative thinking" you're presenting. It's not like we're a group of fatty hogging Twinkies wondering why switching to 3 gallons of diet soda hasn't started dropping the lbs. Bottom line is people have different approaches that all work; there's nothing inherently better or even documented/concrete about the ideology you're pushing.

3. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I put it like this mman. You rally against simple carbs and say they are the sole source of obesity or whatever. But Martin Berkhan has been hovering around 6-8% BF while regularly indulging in entire cheesecakes. And plenty of people have remained at perfectly healthy weights + respectable levels of leanness w/o completely cutting out simple carbs. So everyone is at a loss as to the value of the "alternative thinking" you're presenting. It's not like we're a group of fatty hogging Twinkies wondering why switching to 3 gallons of diet soda hasn't started dropping the lbs. Bottom line is people have different approaches that all work; there's nothing inherently better or even documented/concrete about the ideology you're pushing.
    I believe the issue here is with distinguishing between bodybuilders, such as Mr. Berkhan, and the general population. It is important to not confuse the two. Can he indulge in the occasional cheesecake and remain at a low body fat percentage? Apparently so. But I don't believe, in this case, it has as much to do with the food he is eating, but more with what his body is doing with the food he eats. In the case of the obese, it is a whole different story. To apply the idea that somehow simple carbohydrates are not a prominent causal factor just because a svelte, Swedish bodybuilder (who grew up chubby) can regularly indulge in a whole cheesecake and remain in tip-top shape is applying a very unique scenario to a much larger and much different set of circumstances. I know that discussion in this particular thread focuses on bodybuilding. I am focused on diet and health. So it's possible that we start to misinterpret what one another is trying to imply by advocating diets low in carbohydrates. It's largely circumstantial. By the way, thank you Cool the Kid for taking the time to address my argument.

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm not a bodybuilder.. so if I keeping doing 1,000 grams of simple carbs one day of the week, I will get fat? [​IMG]

5. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

If you weren't a bodybuilder, your ass would probably get very fat before your whole body does. Especially in the case of massive binges like that. It will probably all go straight to your ass first, before it goes anywhere else.

6. APK

APK Senior member

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

This sort of reminds me of how it's like to deal with my mother. When I argue a point with her, and she no longer can make a valid counterargument, she'll resort to critisizing how I argue to detract from the actual point of discussion, and no longer consider the validity or actual content of what it is I'm saying. It's really a sickening tactic. I'm not trying to tell anyone that I'm right and that they are wrong. It would just be nice to get a response that addresses something I've said, instead of resorting to "tl;dr", or "God! Shut up!!". It's kind of childish.
    if one person calls you an asshole, it might be them. if two people call you an asshole, it might be them. if everyone calls you an asshole, you're probably an asshole. nobody gives a fuck about right, wrong, or "the truth" when you come across the way you do. instead of bemoaning the fact that people are simply telling you to shut your mouth instead of addressing your actual points, you should consider why they are doing so. hint: refer to the first paragraph in my reply. you can be spitting god's own fucking truth but i for one could not give any less of a fuck because you are "that guy." this thread is the last bastion of sanity in a forum filled with bad trolls, stupid questions, and hair threads, so please unfuck yourself or smash your fingers with a hammer in order to spare us from more of your grand-standing assholery, truthful or not.

8. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Yeah, the big cheat days full of simple carbs aren't agreeing with Charly at all. http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/im...ine=1302941593
    OK. It has been confirmed: You don't read my posts. Thank you for clarifying this for me.
    if one person calls you an asshole, it might be them. if two people call you an asshole, it might be them. if everyone calls you an asshole, you're probably an asshole. nobody gives a fuck about right, wrong, or "the truth" when you come across the way you do. instead of bemoaning the fact that people are simply telling you to shut your mouth instead of addressing your actual points, you should consider why they are doing so. hint: refer to the first paragraph in my reply. you can be spitting god's own fucking truth but i for one could not give any less of a fuck because you are "that guy." this thread is the last bastion of sanity in a forum filled with bad trolls, stupid questions, and hair threads, so please unfuck yourself or smash your fingers with a hammer in order to spare us from more of your grand-standing assholery, truthful or not.
    My, you are an awfully perturbed individual.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

the ironing

it is delicious, dont you think

10. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

the ironing it is delicious, dont you think
    I hear you can make a mighty, mean grilled-cheese using a clothing iron.

11. APK

APK Senior member

I'm not a bodybuilder.. so if I keeping doing 1,000 grams of simple carbs one day of the week, I will get fat? [​IMG]

If you weren't a bodybuilder, your ass would probably get very fat before your whole body does. Especially in the case of massive binges like that. It will probably all go straight to your ass first, before it goes anywhere else.

OK. It has been confirmed: You don't read my posts.

How do you figure? There are plenty of dudes who are NOT bodybuilders who utilize the eating approach Charly mentioned and they aren't fat, ass or elsewhere.

And allow me to clarify since this seems to have gone over your head: Charly wasn't asking you that in earnest.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

I hear you can make a mighty, mean grilled-cheese using a clothing iron.
    Grilled cheese? You must be some uneducated backwoods hick who eats bread.

13. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

How do you figure? There are plenty of dudes who are NOT bodybuilders who utilize the eating approach Charly mentioned and they aren't fat, ass or elsewhere.
    OK, sorry. Maybe you missed this post I made:
    I believe the issue here is with distinguishing between bodybuilders, such as Mr. Berkhan, and the general population. It is important to not confuse the two. Can he indulge in the occasional cheesecake and remain at a low body fat percentage? Apparently so. But I don't believe, in this case, it has as much to do with the food he is eating, but more with what his body is doing with the food he eats. In the case of the obese, it is a whole different story. To apply the idea that somehow simple carbohydrates are not a prominent causal factor just because a svelte, Swedish bodybuilder (who grew up chubby) can regularly indulge in a whole cheesecake and remain in tip-top shape is applying a very unique scenario to a much larger and much different set of circumstances. I know that discussion in this particular thread focuses on bodybuilding. I am focused on diet and health. So it's possible that we start to misinterpret what one another is trying to imply by advocating diets low in carbohydrates. It's largely circumstantial.
    I know. I wasn't really responding in earnest, either (though there is science behind that whole "fat goes to your ass first" thing)

14. Eason

Eason Senior member

^ You're a beast, man. How many sets?

Also, hate to admit when I'm wrong, but I'm joining the ATG camp for squats. Although it didn't hinder my squats too much, I was having some hip pain/stiffness after my sets. This was lasting a couple hours, and would go away after that. Anyway, I dropped the weight 15% and went ATG, no more pain.

245 is just 1 set 5 reps, ramped up with 4 warm-up sets, 125, 145, 175, 205, 245.

15. APK

APK Senior member

I didn't miss it. Most people are fat or obese because they are regularly making poor food choices. You're saying that he's able to maintain his physique while occasionally indulging because he's a bodybuilder. What I said is that there are a LOT of people who are NOT bodybuilders that are able to do the weekly cheats or binges and not have it negatively impact their body composition, so long as they eat clean the rest of the week.

16. jarude

jarude Senior member

Holy fuck, the fitocracy forums [​IMG] Between IA getting labeled bro-science, GOMAD reigning supreme and more "halp me got 6 packs plzz" threads than you can shake a stick at, I am never ever venturing into another forum that is even tangentially related to fitness.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

18. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Can you supply some sort of evidence of this? You are telling me that there are individuals who consume over 13k calories of refined sugar and flour one day out of the week, and don't exercise, yet remain lean and completely disease free? I have heard of "cheat days" for dieters. I don't like the concept of them, though. I don't think they offer very much in expediting weight loss, and I think they are actually counterproductive to the actual goal of the individual. There may also be certain physiological or behavioral factors that cause people the need to "cheat". A diet that accompanies a healthy lifestyle does not require one to have any need to "cheat". I don't want to toot my own horn, but I eat very well--and extremely healthy--and I never have any desire whatsoever to go on some massive carb binge. I just think it's silly.

19. jarude

jarude Senior member

Can you supply some sort of evidence of this? You are telling me that there are individuals who consume over 13k calories of refined sugar and flour one day out of the week, and don't exercise, yet remain lean and completely disease free?

I have heard of "cheat days" for dieters. I don't like the concept of them, though. I don't think they offer very much in expediting weight loss, and I think they are actually counterproductive to the actual goal of the individual. There may also be certain physiological or behavioral factors that cause people the need to "cheat".

A diet that accompanies a healthy lifestyle does not require one to have any need to "cheat". I don't want to toot my own horn, but I eat very well--and extremely healthy--and I never have any desire whatsoever to go on some massive carb binge. I just think it's silly.

Hmm, if only there were some kind of middle ground between "being a bodybuilder" and "not exercising." Also, not to toot my own horn, but I'm going to toot my own horn (and that's the truth).

You are so fucking stupid it's making my head hurt.

20. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Hmm, if only there were some kind of middle ground between "being a bodybuilder" and "not exercising." Also, not to toot my own horn, but I'm going to toot my own horn (and that's the truth).
    Give me an example of someone that binges on 13 thousand calories of food one day of the week, is not a bodybuilder, is disease and depression free, and that performs mild to moderate cardiovascular activity while maintaining a healthy body composition, and overall constitution. Or are you going to respond with: "It's not about being happy and healthy"? Then what is it about? Getting pussy?