Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

On training days (3x/week), eat maintenance + 20% • Keep carbs high, protein moderate and fat low. Carbs should be the dominant macronutrient this day.
    I would disagree with this, Martin says protein is always the dominant marco, and kept high on all days... "* ...Protein is kept high on all days."

2. sonick

sonick Senior member

I would disagree with this, Martin says protein is always the dominant marco, and kept high on all days... "* ...Protein is kept high on all days."
    Weird, since that was taken directly from his Leangains book/pdf... Perhaps in your quote he meant High in terms of quantity, but in the PDF quoted by gort it's "medium" relative to the other macros?

3. gort

gort Senior member

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

shibbel, I only have "beef" with bad ideas/ideologies (i.e., counting calories is pointless), not people.

And yes one should go for as much protein as possible. I hit at least 200g a day by having 1 meal that is just 1lb of lean meat (salmon, boneless chicken thighs, ground beef), and a big shake (50g casein on rest days, 75g + 15g BCAAs on lift days). I think high protein is more critical in a cut than a bulk for a few reasons... one obv it helps to retain muscle, but also high protein "real foods" are generally much better at curbing hunger.

5. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

If you're doing cardio to drop fat, MB claims (and cites studies to show) that at best you don't need it, and at worst it can hamper or even counter measures taken to preserve muscle in a cut. If you're doing cardio because you like to run (????) then Leangains really adds up to not much more than a more convenient way to eat.

Cardio can be done, but not necessary, and quite inefficient for losing fat. Martin just recommends very low intensity if you must, since higher intensity can tax your CNS almost as much as lifting.

Yeah, I do cardio mainly for fitness and endurance. I want to not just be a pretty boy, but a badass as well... [​IMG]

Thanks guys... right now, i am going to stick to the 1 cheat day approach and see how that goes. I can pretty much maintain in the 12% range, but looking to see if I can dip down under 10% without doing UD2.0. Maybe I'll try the leangains approach in a few months.

6. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Weird, since that was taken directly from his Leangains book/pdf... Perhaps in your quote he meant High in terms of quantity, but in the PDF quoted by gort it's "medium" relative to the other macros?
    '

This is the full paragraph.

"* Macronutrients and calorie intakes are always cycled through the week. The specifics depends on the client's ultimate goal: fat loss, muscle gain or bodyrecomposition. The details will be revealed in the book. Generally speaking, carbs and total calorie intake is highest on training days. On rest days, carbs are lower and fat is higher. Protein is kept high on all days."

Link

7. sonick

sonick Senior member

'

This is the full paragraph.

"* Macronutrients and calorie intakes are always cycled through the week. The specifics depends on the client's ultimate goal: fat loss, muscle gain or bodyrecomposition. The details will be revealed in the book. Generally speaking, carbs and total calorie intake is highest on training days. On rest days, carbs are lower and fat is higher. Protein is kept high on all days."

Link

Ah, I didn't have it in front of me.

Regardless, both quotes were straight from the same person and I don't think there is a huge difference with one or the other in the grand scheme of things.

8. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Ah, I didn't have it in front of me.

Regardless, both quotes were straight from the same person and I don't think there is a huge difference with one or the other in the grand scheme of things.

I agree that it's not much of a difference, however it's also worth noting that the PDF is a bit dated, maybe 2008ish? The article I quoted was from last year- he has been known to tweak things along the way.

9. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

While Stiff Legged Deadlifting today I heard a pop and then heard nothing but fuzz for a few seconds. That was weird.

10. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Hip flexability and lumbar extension/ROM is getting a little better. Can almost DL from the floor with proper form. Had a good lift today - Squats, Military and DL all felt dialed in. Now about getting that diet dialed in /fuuuu.

11. acularw

acularw Senior member

I like the idea of the Leangains IF diet (this is my first time reading about this particular IF plan). I have been doing the 5-6meal per day thing for 4-5 months. It isn't as big of a pain as some people think but I agree with Martin that you do end up thinking a little too much about when you need to eat next. That being said, not sure I could do the 16/8 fast/feed split. I lift in the morning (@5:30 or 6:00am) and I don't see how I could eat a pre-workout meal and then eat my last meal at 1:00pm or so. Doesn't sound very workable for me. [​IMG]

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

While Stiff Legged Deadlifting today I heard a pop and then heard nothing but fuzz for a few seconds. That was weird.

lol I would lose my shit if this happened to me

13. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Ever since my food poisoning fiesco, I have not been eating well. I am done from 6 meals a day to 3 meals right now. But I am still pushing myself at the gym. DL 405 raw for 4 reps and 505 for 2 reps.

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

damn my brilliant plan for strength gains without growth isn't working ... i'm getting bigger [​IMG] i was trying to do ~body-weight deadlift squat bench ... will have to up cardio i guess

15. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I like the idea of the Leangains IF diet (this is my first time reading about this particular IF plan). I have been doing the 5-6meal per day thing for 4-5 months. It isn't as big of a pain as some people think but I agree with Martin that you do end up thinking a little too much about when you need to eat next. That being said, not sure I could do the 16/8 fast/feed split. I lift in the morning (@5:30 or 6:00am) and I don't see how I could eat a pre-workout meal and then eat my last meal at 1:00pm or so. Doesn't sound very workable for me. [​IMG]
    You can forego the 8hr window, it's not gonna be for everybody. I think the underlying lesson of IF is you don't have to do the 6 meals a day thing to get ripped. The "active metabolism" deal is a myth. It's up to you. Even with IF I still get about 4-5 meals a day, just because I have the stomach of a rabbit. ----------------------------------------------- Finally figured out what the fuck the deal is with these damn dumbbells. These silly motherfuckers. At my old gym dumbbells were some variation of these: [​IMG] Two metal (or w/e composite this is) solid plates on a stick. So the assumption is the weight listed is the total weight (plates + stick) My new gym has these: [​IMG] A collection of plates ranging in sizes from 2.5 to 10# on a stick. So I went from 100# type A DBs to 100# type B DBs, and the 2nd one was significantly heavier. What the fuck gives? Well, the weight listed for type B is just for the plates. For the "100#" DBs, the handle prob adds another 10#s. So I dropped back to 90s and all is right with the world. Still not DLing what I was on my big lift but hopefully I will feel better next Tuesday. Sorry for the long post, just a heads up, I was flattened until I figured this out.