Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i have started a new plan. basically, i train whole body 3x week. day 1 is heavy push, light pull. day 2 is heavy pull, light push. day 3 is a repeat of day 1. the next week i alternate

my free day is tabatas, prowler and heavy core work.

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

don;t overthink it

I actually squat pretty low - imagine in a normal power cage, if you have the adjustable bars at the lowest area (the two pieces that catch a dropped weighted bar) - I'm squatting to 3-4 inches above that. should i try some box squats?

3. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Some exercises I was taught by my wrestling coach/teachers etc. seem to be a waste of time. Like calf raises and wrist curls. I've just been doing compound lifts lately (bench, dl, squat, pullups) and now I actually feel a difference.

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i saw a 300 pound man doing wrist curls last night. his weak[​IMG] ess is definitely the forearms.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

I actually squat pretty low - imagine in a normal power cage, if you have the adjustable bars at the lowest area (the two pieces that catch a dropped weighted bar) - I'm squatting to 3-4 inches above that

Trying to go too low was how I injured myself, too, because that forced my knees to move forward to get that kind of depth. If you have the flexibility to go low while maintaining good form, then go for it.

The goal of squatting below parallel is to recruit your posterior chain (hamstrings and butt muscles) when you start standing up again, and not hurt your knees (because the quads and hamstrings are pulling in opposite directions on the knee), assuming you are driving up from the hips. It is possible to go too low, and lose tension in the muscles you're trying to strengthen, like the hamstrings, so you may end up not doing good work, and maybe hurting yourself.

--Andre

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

i saw a 300 pound man doing wrist curls last night. his weak[​IMG] ess is definitely the forearms.

how are u gonna watch me from across the gym and not come over and say hi

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

Trying to go too low was how I injured myself, too, because that forced my knees to move forward to get that kind of depth. If you have the flexibility to go low while maintaining good form, then go for it.

The goal of squatting below parallel is to recruit your posterior chain (hamstrings and butt muscles) when you start standing up again, and not hurt your knees (because the quads and hamstrings are pulling in opposite directions on the knee), assuming you are driving up from the hips. It is possible to go too low, and lose tension in the muscles you're trying to strengthen, like the hamstrings, so you may end up not doing good work, and maybe hurting yourself.

--Andre

hm.

interestingly when I first started squatting I had a lot of stiffness/back weakness, but a month of doing weighted back extensions really cleared that up, and I'm finally fully engaging my legs/quads/ass and really feeling the lift.

i'm gonna really watch my form and try to do some good stretching beforehand

also happy the semester is finally over so i can play tennis without waiting 45 mins before hand

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

interestingly when I first started squatting I had a lot of stiffness/back weakness, but a month of doing weighted back extensions really cleared that up, and I'm finally fully engaging my legs/quads/ass and really feeling the lift.

Yeah, my back comes and goes, depending on how much rest I've gotten. Some days it feels awesome, and other days I can't seem to keep it straight for the same weight.

I would stretch afterwards when your body is warmed-up and you're done with your lifts. Do warm-up sets with lighter weights first before your working set.

--Andre

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

yea I do 5x5, with 3 'warm up' sets and then 2 heavy sets, ramping up the weight with each set.

what sucks is that in my school's brand new, $50 million gym, there are only 3 power cages. of course there's 75 treadmills.

10. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

i have started a new plan. basically, i train whole body 3x week. day 1 is heavy push, light pull. day 2 is heavy pull, light push. day 3 is a repeat of day 1. the next week i alternate

my free day is tabatas, prowler and heavy core work.

Curious on your reasoning for doing full body work. Also, what tabatas are you doing? I've recently started doing kettleball tabatas and am liking it so far. Wish I had a prowler [​IMG]

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

moar details plz kunkface

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

I have a question about after squat soreness. whenever I squat, for the next few hours after I feel very sore in my right hip (right in the socket). I've checked my form and had a trainer check it, and he doesn't see anything egregious - is this just a lack of flexibility?

I've had the same problem when doing 5x5 and the problem was squatting 3x a week. I switched to squatting 1x a week and the pain went away immediately.

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

Well, I sm clean now so doing 20 sets per part makes little sense and I am not eating a ton so overtraining would be bad. As far as tabatas, I alternate on days between bands, barbells and kettle bells. For instance, with the barbell, I do rows, getups, curls, front squats, and push presses, all with 135, 20 seconds work 10 seconds rest.
    Curious on your reasoning for doing full body work. Also, what tabatas

are you doing? I've recently started doing kettleball tabatas and am liking it so far. Wish I had a prowler [​IMG]

14. APK

APK Senior member

I still work out at my university's weight room and am usually sharing space with the football team. This would've intimidated me three or four years ago, but now I welcome it. It's much easier to tolerate equipment being unavailable because people are doing Olympic-style lifts than it is because someone is curling in the squat rack.

15. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

Well, I sm clean now so doing 20 sets per part makes little sense and I am not eating a ton so overtraining would be bad. As far as tabatas, I alternate on days between bands, barbells and kettle bells. For instance, with the barbell, I do rows, getups, curls, front squats, and push presses, all with 135, 20 seconds work 10 seconds rest.

By clean do you mean you're off gear?

FYI, here's a great article on tabata's for anyone wondering just what they are.